Re: Hoping For Changes...Whom do you keep?

Defintely Oshie. And a couple out of Bouwmeester, Backes, Steen and Gunnarsson. I don't want to see Jackman brought back. Nothing against Jax but like I said in another thread that poor guy has only ever known failure in his NHL career and I think we could use a different voice in leadership. I think too many guys look to Jax for answers that he simply doesn't have. I love Jackman's heart, but I think it's time to move on.

I think Armstrong and Hitch and the entire coaching staff has to go.

Without getting into the raw rookies my list of players is as follows;

Keep because we want them;

Jaskin
Lehtera
Reaves
Schwartz
Steen
Tarasenko
Bortuzzo
Shattenkirk
Allen

Keep because we have to or are stuck with them;

Ott
Stastny
Bouwmeester

Explore trade options;

Pietrangelo

Undecided;

Porter
Elliott

Won't be retained (free agents);

Goc
Jokinen
Butler
Jackman
Michalek

Gotta go;

Backes
Berglund
Oshie
Gunnarsson

I'm still pretty pissed. I heard Stillman on the radio and he's pretty calm and level-headed. I kinda wish he wasn't that way. Some of the people in this organization needed a real kick in the pants.
Last edited by BluesSK on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think you have to move Oshie regardless. Nobody symbolizes the struggles of this team in the postseason more than him. I think you move Backes if you can get a great return, which I do think you can get. He has a ton of value. If you don't like the return for Backes then you stop focusing the team's offense around him and possibly strip the C.

Hitch put way to much focus on Oshie and Backes in the postseason when it should have been elsewhere. A perfect example of that was when Jackman and Cooke got matching minors yesterday. For the first minute and a half of 4 on 4 play Hitch rolled Backes with Steen and then Oshie with Stastny. It wasn't until the 4 on 4 was almost over that Tarasenko and Schwartz got out there. Berglund and Lehtera did not play during that stretch. There is no explanation for why you put out guys who thrive on brute force and the forecheck like Backes and Oshie at 4 on 4 while high skill guys like Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Lehtera sit on the bench for most or all of it. When you've got open ice you roll your skill players. Let Backes clear space when space needs to be cleared.

As far as the D goes, Shattenkirk stays. I'd move JayBo and Gunnar. I'd listen to offers for Pietrangelo, but I'm inclined to keep him. He was largely excellent in this series, just as he was against the Hawks last year. Yes his offense needs to take a step up in big games, and FFS he needs to learn how to shoot a one-timer, but I think his value to our defense and overall game is more than what we could ever get in return (and I think he could get a great return, he's just important to us).

BluesSK wrote:I think Armstrong and Hitch and the entire coaching staff has to go.

Jaskin
Lehtera
Reaves
Schwartz
Steen
Tarasenko
Bortuzzo
Shattenkirk
Allen

Ott
Stastny
Bouwmeester

Explore trade options;

Pietrangelo

Undecided;

Porter
Elliott

Goc
Jokinen
Butler
Jackman
Michalek

Gotta go;

Backes
Berglund
Oshie
Gunnarsson

I'm still pretty pissed. I heard Stillman on the radio and he's pretty calm and level-headed. I kinda wish he wasn't that way. Some of the people in this organization needed a real kick in the pants.
I like this format, so here's my thought process if I'm Army:

Keepers
Tarasenko, Shattenkirk
These guys aren't going anywhere

I'll listen to offers, but you better blow me away
Petro, Allen, Reaves, Schwartz
Probably going to want more than other GMs would give up in return.

For the right price
Jaskin, Bortuzzo, Rattie, Elliott (He'll probably ask for a trade, which I'd oblige)
I like these guys, but if someone else likes them more...

Can't imagine anyone would ask about
Stastny, Ott
Stuck here due to contracts, but Stastny might bounce back after the roster shake-up.

Quietly shopping
Steen
Not quite part of the next group...

Somebody make me an offer...anybody
Backes, Oshie, Gunnarson, Bouwmeester, Berglund
Some of these guys I'd hope for a pretty good return, others I'd take a bag of pucks for.

The rest of the guys are UFAs I believe, and I'd let most walk. Jackman might come back as a bottom pairing/7th D depending on what happens with the rest of the roster. I'd let Hitch walk too. It's been said elsewhere, but his shelf life has run out. You can blame the players for being too soft mentally or you can blame Hitch for riding them too hard. I'd say there's enough blame to go around that Hitch and a fair amount of roster turnover are warranted.

Anyway, just my two cents today. I'll probably feel differently about certain guys tomorrow...or in 5 minutes. Dammit I'm going to hate seeing the damn Hawks win again.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote:I think Armstrong and Hitch and the entire coaching staff has to go.

Jaskin
Lehtera
Reaves
Schwartz
Steen
Tarasenko
Bortuzzo
Shattenkirk
Allen

Ott
Stastny
Bouwmeester

Explore trade options;

Pietrangelo

Undecided;

Porter
Elliott

Goc
Jokinen
Butler
Jackman
Michalek

Gotta go;

Backes
Berglund
Oshie
Gunnarsson

I think he has to be if they want to get max value out of these guys. Maybe Hitch being let go will be the public face of change. Meanwhile Army starts working the phones talking about what a great leader Oshie is and how Jaybo is a tough player that doesn't sit out unless absolutely necessary.

Battra wrote:
Hockey Pete wrote:Wow, this place is starting to look like Blues talk...
Give it a couple days and I think you'll see level heads return.

Many of us are pretty bummed.
Bummed is about right. I didn't mean for my post before to come off as we need to gut the team, just sort of clarified how I categorized most of the roster. I'm an Army fan and think he'll figure something out. It did seem like there might've been a disconnect between Hitch and some of the players, and there are a few ways to go about addressing that. I suppose we'll know more about which route they're taking after Hitch/Army speak today.

Hockey Pete wrote:Wow, this place is starting to look like Blues talk...
I'm about as even keel as it comes with this team. I've never rushed to judgement on any of these guys..but this team just shit the bed, and they have no excuses this time. They were healthy, well stocked, well rested...no excuses. They look like an aging team that can't keep up. With the exception of one game, Minny always looked like they were on the power play.
We're not having fifty goalie threads, as they no-doubt are in BT. We are just trying to figure how to right the ship and move forward. This ain't BT :)

wizard pork sword wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but all of Steen, Jay Bo and Backes have No trade clauses so they would have to approve a move.

The obvious choice to be moved is Oshie as he has no say.
Those guys are professionals and I'm sure have some pride. Now they might not waive to go to Edmonton or a couple of other places but if the Blues ask them to waive, they aren't going to stay where they aren't wanted.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

I'm all for trading Oshie, but it's mostly because he's a 28 year old player who is due $4.5m the next 3 years. I now value Berglund higher than Oshie.

Backes only has 1 year left on his contract, so I really don't think his trade value (if we can get him to accept) would be too high. See if we can low-ball him into an extension at Berglund numbers, as he's going to regress to a 3rd line role as he ages anyways.

A problem I see with losing both Oshie and Backes is that we wouldn't have a RH forward other than Reaves (and I would consider giving him a shot at 3rd line minutes). I didn't play much competitive hockey, so I could be wrong, but isn't it hard to set up plays when your entire team is LH? I always thought it was kind of a waste having Oshie and Backes on the same line. If I'm wrong, please let me know, but it just sticks out to me while I watch this team do the same things over and over.

NHLTIM wrote:
wizard pork sword wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but all of Steen, Jay Bo and Backes have No trade clauses so they would have to approve a move.

Those guys are professionals and I'm sure have some pride. Now they might not waive to go to Edmonton or a couple of other places but if the Blues ask them to waive, they aren't going to stay where they aren't wanted.
Didn't they "persuade" Doug Weight to waive?

SickMittsRomKnee wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:

Didn't they "persuade" Doug Weight to waive?
Speaking of Weight, if Hitch is indeed done here, does he get any consideration? I know he's been an assistant for the Islanders the last few years, but don't know if they'll require somebody with head coaching experience.

Dave's a mess wrote: Speaking of Weight, if Hitch is indeed done here, does he get any consideration? I know he's been an assistant for the Islanders the last few years, but don't know if they'll require somebody with head coaching experience.
I know a lot of has changed but Weight was pretty upset when he left here. I saw an interview a couple of years ago regarding his career and he didn't even mention his time with the Blues. He talked about winning a cup and in Carolina and then heading to Anaheim.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

It's more who do you get rid of. Oshie,Jackman,Gunner,Berglund are the 4 i can think of right away that we need to trade or let go and not re-sign. Need to find talent to play with Stastny. It sounds like both Bortuzzo and Linbohm will be here. I just dont know if we can trade Backes because of him NTC. I just dont think he would approve to waive it. J-bo might be one who would be willing to do it though. A lot of work needs to be done if the off season

I would like to see an influx of younger guys supplemented by some low cost highly effective checkers.

2 scoring lines, 2 smash you in the mouth lines.

Centers Stastny and Lehtera.

In, Fabbri Rattie Jaskin Lindbohlm Bortuzzo.

Out ??? Berglund Ott Oshie

Can we bring back the CPR line?

I would really like to see a monster trade for Taylor Hall or RNH or Eberle. Give them Petro and Oshie.