Re: Binnington Signs 6 Year $36 Million Extension

BillP. wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:55 am
barnburner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:34 am According to todays article in the PD, Binnington went into negotiations, with the view that he did not want to cripple the organization, cap wise. He wanted to leave enough room that they could continue to keep this team strong. Well done, Binner! Now go win us another 3 or 4 Cups! 👍
If that's the case then Binner is patting himself on the back quite a bit. Did he think he's a 8 or 9 million goalie? We'll never know but it would be interesting to see what kind of deal he could of pulled off on the open market.
You get more after July 1. That's the point, not that he'd get 50% more.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

barnburner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:34 am According to todays article in the PD, Binnington went into negotiations, with the view that he did not want to cripple the organization, cap wise. He wanted to leave enough room that they could continue to keep this team strong. Well done, Binner! Now go win us another 3 or 4 Cups! 👍
If that's the case then Binner is patting himself on the back quite a bit. Did he think he's a 8 or 9 million goalie? We'll never know but it would be interesting to see what kind of deal he could of pulled off on the open market.
I would hope that he considers himself playing up to the level. When he won the Cup, I believe he probably thought he was the best goalie in the league. I sre want him thinking that way.

barnburner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:05 pm
I would hope that he considers himself playing up to the level. When he won the Cup, I believe he probably thought he was the best goalie in the league. I sre want him thinking that way.
True

BillP. wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:55 pm
barnburner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:55 pm
BlueinNy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:06 pm
There's always that Miller guy, he worked out well 🙄
Yeah. 😄
I gotta admit that I really believed that freed from Buffalo, he would come here, and play inspired hockey.
🙈
I don’t think Miller was that bad. Blues beat Hawks, who knows what happens after that.
They lost to the Hawks largely because Miller was terrible in that series.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:06 pm
Yeah. 😄
I gotta admit that I really believed that freed from Buffalo, he would come here, and play inspired hockey.
🙈
I don’t think Miller was that bad. Blues beat Hawks, who knows what happens after that.
They lost cause they had a terrible shift late in game 4 and couldn’t get off the ice. Hawks ended up scoring, tying the game. Blues should of been up 3-1. And I don’t know how you fault Miller for the Toews breakaway goal in Gm 5 OT. He stood tall at home in both double OT wins and Blues lost one game 1-0. And I think our PP sucked in that series. He wasn’t the reason we lost. IMO.

Yeah. 😄
🙈
Also, I lament Halak never getting a shot in the playoffs. Would of liked to see what he could do. We get him for that reason and it never happened. Hard to believe.

BlueinNy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:06 pm
There's always that Miller guy, he worked out well 🙄
Yeah. 😄
🙈
I was at one of his first games with the Blues, and he played great that night. His play slipped from that point on. Maybe not awful, but not what I believed he was capable of either.

BillP. wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:28 am

Also, I lament Halak never getting a shot in the playoffs. Would of liked to see what he could do. We get him for that reason and it never happened. Hard to believe.
I think Army shared my opinion that Halak was a Me- Me- Me, headcase. That why he went after Miller. Remember that tantrum Halak threw, refusing to sit on the bench after Hitch pulled him? Hes had several similar incidents in his career. I was so glad to see him gone, I would have driven him to the airport.

barnburner wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:27 am
Yeah. 😄
🙈
I was at one of his first games with the Blues, and he played great that night. His play slipped from that point on. Maybe not awful, but not what I believed he was capable of either.
What sticks in my mind when Miller comes up is those first softies he let in almost every night. Elliott was playing very consistently and for some reason we didn't dance with the girl that brung us.

BillP. wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:17 am

They lost cause they had a terrible shift late in game 4 and couldn’t get off the ice. Hawks ended up scoring, tying the game. Blues should of been up 3-1. And I don’t know how you fault Miller for the Toews breakaway goal in Gm 5 OT. He stood tall at home in both double OT wins and Blues lost one game 1-0. And I think our PP sucked in that series. He wasn’t the reason we lost. IMO.
He had a .897 save percentage in the series. He had a -2.7 GSAA (Goals saved above average) in the series. That is a remarkably bad number for 6 games. I never faulted him for the Toews OT goal, but you know what? If you pay a big price to bring in a difference maker goalie for a playoff run, you'd like him to make a difference in the big moments. If you want to talk Toews goals, look to game 3, Miller's best game of the series on paper. he gave up an incredibly bad goal in the first period that held up as the game winner.

Miller was remarkably bad that series, full stop. Let's also remember that the only reason the Blues were playing the Hawks in the first round was because they blew a lead in the standings down the stretch to the Avs. Miller was a huge part of that as well. Regular stats, fancy stats and eye test all come to the same conclusion on that one. One of Armstrong's best decisions as a GM was re-signing Elliot at a much lower cap hit than Miller that offseason.

Back to Binnington and his extension. As I've said before I think its a fair contract based on resume. He's well earned it and I love that the guy who probably had more to do with the Cup run than anyone else got paid. Having said that, long term deals with goalies freak me out. Let's hope he makes me look like a jaded, paranoid cynic, haha.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:00 am

He had a .897 save percentage in the series. He had a -2.7 GSAA (Goals saved above average) in the series. That is a remarkably bad number for 6 games. I never faulted him for the Toews OT goal, but you know what? If you pay a big price to bring in a difference maker goalie for a playoff run, you'd like him to make a difference in the big moments. If you want to talk Toews goals, look to game 3, Miller's best game of the series on paper. he gave up an incredibly bad goal in the first period that held up as the game winner.

Miller was remarkably bad that series, full stop. Let's also remember that the only reason the Blues were playing the Hawks in the first round was because they blew a lead in the standings down the stretch to the Avs. Miller was a huge part of that as well. Regular stats, fancy stats and eye test all come to the same conclusion on that one. One of Armstrong's best decisions as a GM was re-signing Elliot at a much lower cap hit than Miller that offseason.

Back to Binnington and his extension. As I've said before I think its a fair contract based on resume. He's well earned it and I love that the guy who probably had more to do with the Cup run than anyone else got paid. Having said that, long term deals with goalies freak me out. Let's hope he makes me look like a jaded, paranoid cynic, haha.
All dat.

BlueinNy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:00 am

All dat.
HA!!!! Michael Handzus !!!