Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs LA Kings - 7:00 2/22 - TV: FSMW Radio: 101.1espn

This game was sad to watch. The Blues were on their heels most of the game, and playing in their own zone for most of the game. The Blues had lots of trouble getting the puck up ice. They couldn't complete passes, couldn't keeop the puck on their sticks, were almost always a stride or two behind, and lost almost all the races to the puck. They looked exhausted and mentally defeated after their early game solid forecheck was stopped by a bounceback of The Kings, with THEIR own smothering forecheck. It looked like The Blues lost heart and gave up until there were only 5 minutes left. It looks to me like The Blues are physically and mentally exhausted (maybe due to their best players having played too many minutes lately, due to the team's many injuries. I hope they can get energised next game.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:43 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:04 pm Might be time to put these kits out to pasture.
2 games too late. I'd be down, but when you're forced to play your 13th-16th forwards are missing your best defensive defenseman before losing another in the game, the outcome is expected. Binner continues play well at least.
Still most of the teams in this division are average. Time for Berube to coach and make changes to the teams style of play. Time to take a cue from Trotz and cover up that neutral zone more and reinvent the team. Doing this would re-focus the team. Cause right now their spirit must be broken a little. If they were in the East, they’d get fucked, but this is the Pacific. Berube is going to have to step up.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:25 pm Honestly, I don't think there is much the coaching staff can do right now. Injuries have decimated this team.

There are seven starters out. That's a third of the lineup. Just got to stay out of the box and play north south hockey, grind it out and hope some guys get healthy.
The Blues are up against it in the sense that injuries are mounting and they haven’t gotten the covid break most others have gotten. Tough when you’re matched up nightly vs healthier and fresher teams but still need to clean up their play and find a way
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 pm Oh man when you guys see Sanford on the replay of the Brown goal....
Just watched it. The fact that he proceeds to trip over Brown says it all. At times his brain tends to be out for lunch when he’s on the ice.
The clip DPW posted actually starts right after what I was talking about. Sanford had the puck on his stick with an easy chance to clear the zone..plenty of space. Instead he decided to pass it backwards to Faulk, who was not at all expecting it (because why would he), but no matter it was inaccurate anyway and went directly to Brown, who scored 2 seconds later.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

They have been playing a lot of dump and chase lately. I'm sure that is due to the fact many of their "skilled" players are out at the moment. This is a very boring form of hockey to watch, but it can be effective. However, at least last night, all they were doing was the dump part. There was zero forecheck last night. They would work their asses off to just get the puck out of their own end and then dump the puck in and just turn it over because nobody is digging the puck out. The fourth line was about the only one who actually sent some forecheckers in. Because of that, they generated scoring opportunities, but those guys are not the most likely to get the puck in the net. They just seemed asleep tonight, and it seems like they are that way about every other game.

This is feeling like '19/'20, but we are not going to have the time we had that year to gel and turn it around. We are currently in 2nd place, but that is deceiving as everyone has games on us except the Ducks, who are dead last anyway. If they don't really get it together and play like they can, it will be too late. I know we've had a lot of injuries, but I remember the same situation in our Cup year. Let's hope they get it together soon.

Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 am They have been playing a lot of dump and chase lately. I'm sure that is due to the fact many of their "skilled" players are out at the moment. This is a very boring form of hockey to watch, but it can be effective. However, at least last night, all they were doing was the dump part. There was zero forecheck last night. They would work their asses off to just get the puck out of their own end and then dump the puck in and just turn it over because nobody is digging the puck out. The fourth line was about the only one who actually sent some forecheckers in. Because of that, they generated scoring opportunities, but those guys are not the most likely to get the puck in the net. They just seemed asleep tonight, and it seems like they are that way about every other game.

This is feeling like '19/'20, but we are not going to have the time we had that year to gel and turn it around. We are currently in 2nd place, but that is deceiving as everyone has games on us except the Ducks, who are dead last anyway. If they don't really get it together and play like they can, it will be too late. I know we've had a lot of injuries, but I remember the same situation in our Cup year. Let's hope they get it together soon.
Yeah, they need to get back to basics and forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Drop 4 back, cover the neutral zone, and create your offense via the counter rush off turnovers. And actually, this is similar to how they played in the Cup run. They played their best when they slowed the other teams down at center ice.......... They still got enough talent to fill out the top 6. The bottom 6 should be filled with guys wanting to play. Berube can right the ship, but it's up to him. I'm really getting the feeling he's in a rut. And I'm starting to think Larry Robinson would be a nice guy to have on hand again.

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:10 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 am They have been playing a lot of dump and chase lately. I'm sure that is due to the fact many of their "skilled" players are out at the moment. This is a very boring form of hockey to watch, but it can be effective. However, at least last night, all they were doing was the dump part. There was zero forecheck last night. They would work their asses off to just get the puck out of their own end and then dump the puck in and just turn it over because nobody is digging the puck out. The fourth line was about the only one who actually sent some forecheckers in. Because of that, they generated scoring opportunities, but those guys are not the most likely to get the puck in the net. They just seemed asleep tonight, and it seems like they are that way about every other game.

Yeah, they need to get back to basics and forecheck, forecheck, forecheck. Drop 4 back, cover the neutral zone, and create your offense via the counter rush off turnovers. And actually, this is similar to how they played in the Cup run. They played their best when they slowed the other teams down at center ice.......... They still got enough talent to fill out the top 6. The bottom 6 should be filled with guys wanting to play. Berube can right the ship, but it's up to him. I'm really getting the feeling he's in a rut. And I'm starting to think Larry Robinson would be a nice guy to have on hand again.
There are 5 regular forwards missing. They don't have the luxury of playing "guys who want to play", they can only play the guys that are left standing. There's a reason those 5 guys were playing ahead of the next 5 guys. This is an average or slightly below average group of 12 forwards at the moment. You can run any scheme you want, but players win/lose games. The Blues can't play like they did in the Cup run because the team is completely different than they were then. They just have to tread enough water long enough for the reinforcements to arrive.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am

There are 5 regular forwards missing. They don't have the luxury of playing "guys who want to play", they can only play the guys that are left standing. There's a reason those 5 guys were playing ahead of the next 5 guys. This is an average or slightly below average group of 12 forwards at the moment. You can run any scheme you want, but players win/lose games. The Blues can't play like they did in the Cup run because the team is completely different than they were then. They just have to tread enough water long enough for the reinforcements to arrive.

This team needs to play at least .500 hockey. They'll play less than .500 if they just try and go out there and skate with the other team as is.

They need a defensive system in place to regroup the team and give it direction. If Berube does nothing and just rolls these guys out like dogs and says go get em, then that ain't good. You just said the forward group is depleted? And now Parayko is out. So why would the coach do nothing and stay the same course? That's not coaching. I'd be disappointed in Berube if we don't see a different team going forward.
Last edited by BillP. on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 pm Oh man when you guys see Sanford on the replay of the Brown goal....
Just watched it. The fact that he proceeds to trip over Brown says it all. At times his brain tends to be out for lunch when he’s on the ice.
The clip DPW posted actually starts right after what I was talking about. Sanford had the puck on his stick with an easy chance to clear the zone..plenty of space. Instead he decided to pass it backwards to Faulk, who was not at all expecting it (because why would he), but no matter it was inaccurate anyway and went directly to Brown, who scored 2 seconds later.
Creative editing by me. Please don't believe what Dave says, believe the video I posted. Faulk missed a perfect tape to tape pass.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:50 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 am

Creative editing by me. Please don't believe what Dave says, believe the video I posted. Faulk missed a perfect tape to tape pass.
Hahaha, your pro-Sanford agenda cannot stand!

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:50 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am

This team needs to play at least .500 hockey. They'll play less than .500 if they just try and go out there and skate with the other team as is.

They need a defensive system in place to regroup the team and give it direction. If Berube does nothing and just rolls these guys out like dogs and says go get em, then that ain't good. You just said the forward group is depleted? And now Parayko is out. So why would the coach do nothing and stay the same course? That's not coaching. I'd be disappointed in Berube if we don't see a different team going forward.
I was not suggesting he stop coaching. Point is you can only do so much. It's like multiplying by zero. 1,000,000 x 0 is still 0. Best coach in hockey history still needs NHL players to compete in the NHL.