Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:41 pm
ratonmono wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:23 pm
Rivermanfan wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:15 am I heard a discussion on NHL Tonight last night about the top D pairs in the NHL right now. Guess who #1 was? Our own Faulk/Krug line, 0 even strength goals in over 100 even strength minutes on the ice and are +12 and +11 respectively. Nobody expected those 2 to be our shutdown pair!!
I've been very impressed with those two this season. My biggest fear was that our top D pair would take a big hit after Petro left, but so far so good. Now our PK on the other hand... woof.
Torey Krug has been interesting because I feel like the consensus of a lot of the fan base in him has been underwhelming but the stats say otherwise. At least the ES ones. Only two points on the power play for him has been disappointing but certainly he isn't the only one footing the blame for having the 27th ranked PP.
Yeah we need better special teams all over. Just watching Krug, he's clearly playing well and solid in his own end at even strength. His offense has been fine and will get better once we (if we) get the special teams sorted out. I'm actually quite happy with the team right now but for the love of god the special teams are ugly. Though we can't expect a historically low PK percentage to stick. I hope!

With those two playing so well together and Colt55 no longer looking like a top pairing d-man, it's going to be really interesting to see what they do with him. You've got Schwartz and JB50 coming up this year and Colt55 next season and there's just no way they bring all 3 back. It seems pretty obvious they have to sign JB50 which is going to cost a big chunk of change so Army is going to earn his money figuring out what to do with this roster over the next two seasons.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:19 pm With those two playing so well together and Colt55 no longer looking like a top pairing d-man, it's going to be really interesting to see what they do with him. You've got Schwartz and JB50 coming up this year and Colt55 next season and there's just no way they bring all 3 back. It seems pretty obvious they have to sign JB50 which is going to cost a big chunk of change so Army is going to earn his money figuring out what to do with this roster over the next two seasons.
The Binnington contract terrifies me. Awesome in 2019, Average in 2020, Above Average in 2021 so far. I am terrified of any long term deal with any goalie, and I'd assume that's what he's looking for (as he should). He'll have UFA leverage and Armstrong's UFA record isn't anywhere near as impressive as his trading record. With a flat cap, I'm just super glad I'm not involved in this decision.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:40 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:19 pm With those two playing so well together and Colt55 no longer looking like a top pairing d-man, it's going to be really interesting to see what they do with him. You've got Schwartz and JB50 coming up this year and Colt55 next season and there's just no way they bring all 3 back. It seems pretty obvious they have to sign JB50 which is going to cost a big chunk of change so Army is going to earn his money figuring out what to do with this roster over the next two seasons.
The Binnington contract terrifies me. Awesome in 2019, Average in 2020, Above Average in 2021 so far. I am terrified of any long term deal with any goalie, and I'd assume that's what he's looking for (as he should). He'll have UFA leverage and Armstrong's UFA record isn't anywhere near as impressive as his trading record. With a flat cap, I'm just super glad I'm not involved in this decision.
Really the only time he was average or below was in the bubble. He was 30-13 in the regular season before it was shut down. But I agree, goalies seem to be the most fickle of the bunch. With that said, I'm not really sure what other option the Blues have than to sign him? They have some young goalies in the system but non of them are ready and Husso is still trying to establish himself as a reliable backup, let alone a starter. The window for the Blues to win is now.

Rivermanfan wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:15 am I heard a discussion on NHL Tonight last night about the top D pairs in the NHL right now. Guess who #1 was? Our own Faulk/Krug line, 0 even strength goals in over 100 even strength minutes on the ice and are +12 and +11 respectively. Nobody expected those 2 to be our shutdown pair!!
I've been very impressed with those two this season. My biggest fear was that our top D pair would take a big hit after Petro left, but so far so good. Now our PK on the other hand... woof.
Torey Krug has been interesting because I feel like the consensus of a lot of the fan base in him has been underwhelming but the stats say otherwise. At least the ES ones. Only two points on the power play for him has been disappointing but certainly he isn't the only one footing the blame for having the 27th ranked PP.
Glass half empty: He has been a disappointment so far on the power play, though he has a ton of company there.

Glass half full: He has been better than advertised 5 on 5. In particular, his points production 5 on 5 is higher than it was during his time with Boston, and he currently has a xGF% of 58.39% at 5 on 5, to go along with an actual 5 on 5 GF% of 64.29% and his CF, FF and SF percentages are all over 50%. You may not like the way he defends, but he has been effective in creating more goals than given up no matter how you look at it.

In the current situation with the flat cap, we really need to walk away from anything more than 4 years and $25M. If he wants more term or more than $6.25M AAV then it would be time to survey the UFA landscape and find alternatives.

ratonmono wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:40 pm

Yeah we need better special teams all over. Just watching Krug, he's clearly playing well and solid in his own end at even strength. His offense has been fine and will get better once we (if we) get the special teams sorted out. I'm actually quite happy with the team right now but for the love of god the special teams are ugly. Though we can't expect a historically low PK percentage to stick. I hope!
Does anybody else not like seeing O'Reilly on the PK? I think it's a joke that our most powerful offensive weapon is killing himself on the PK.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:47 pm
Really the only time he was average or below was in the bubble. He was 30-13 in the regular season before it was shut down. But I agree, goalies seem to be the most fickle of the bunch. With that said, I'm not really sure what other option the Blues have than to sign him? They have some young goalies in the system but non of them are ready and Husso is still trying to establish himself as a reliable backup, let alone a starter. The window for the Blues to win is now.
I don't remember it that way at all. He had a great start last year, but was average or poor in the months leading up to the shutdown. Save % by month last year:
Oct: .918
Nov: .934
Dec. .904
Jan: .866 :shock:
Feb: .908
March: .934 (3 games)

League average save % last year was .910. That's two months above, two below, one close enough to average, and one small sample size. For the year he was .912. That seems pretty average to me. His playoff stats were a lot worse than any of those, but I pretty much give the whole team a pass for the bubble last year given how weird it was and that a bunch of them were recovering from covid. This year is huge for him.

Anyway I agree on the window being now. Not a ton in the cupboard in terms of immediate impact, and the core ain't getting any younger. That's why you've got to be sure about Binnington. I don't want to come off as a Binnington hater, because so far his play this year has greatly reassured me, but last year had me worried. If you sign him this offseason and he turns into a pumpkin, the window slams shut. As you rightly pointed out, there's no viable replacement in the system short term, and nobody's going to trade for a goalie on a long term deal that can't produce behind the Blues system.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:33 pm

I don't remember it that way at all. He had a great start last year, but was average or poor in the months leading up to the shutdown. Save % by month last year:
Dec. .904

League average save % last year was .910. That's two months above, two below, one close enough to average, and one small sample size. For the year he was .912. That seems pretty average to me. His playoff stats were a lot worse than any of those, but I pretty much give the whole team a pass for the bubble last year given how weird it was and that a bunch of them were recovering from covid. This year is huge for him.

Anyway I agree on the window being now. Not a ton in the cupboard in terms of immediate impact, and the core ain't getting any younger. That's why you've got to be sure about Binnington. I don't want to come off as a Binnington hater, because so far his play this year has greatly reassured me, but last year had me worried. If you sign him this offseason and he turns into a pumpkin, the window slams shut. As you rightly pointed out, there's no viable replacement in the system short term, and nobody's going to trade for a goalie on a long term deal that can't produce behind the Blues system.
So I see one bad month in his time here then and most of that was giving up 7 goals at Colorado. A month he still went 4-2. We’ve waited the entire franchises history for a goalie like him. You have to sign him and if he suddenly forgets how to play you just live with it. But if you let him walk and he wins a cup with another team while you stumble around looking for another goalie like him, you just don’t live that down.

Edit: I don’t see him signing for under 7 million a year, especially if he continues to play good this year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:36 pm

Dec. .904

So I see one bad month in his time here then and most of that was giving up 7 goals at Colorado. A month he still went 4-2. We’ve waited the entire franchises history for a goalie like him. You have to sign him and if he suddenly forgets how to play you just live with it. But if you let him walk and he wins a cup with another team while you stumble around looking for another goalie like him, you just don’t live that down.

Edit: I don’t see him signing for under 7 million a year, especially if he continues to play good this year.
Yeah goalies just terrify me. Looking back at mid-big ticket UFA goalie signings the last few years, it's pretty spotty. Hopefully Binner comes in at a good number and plays up to his own expectations. It's just tough because if he gets a big ticket, you're gonna have to get that space from somewhere.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 pm

Dec. .904

Yeah goalies just terrify me. Looking back at mid-big ticket UFA goalie signings the last few years, it's pretty spotty. Hopefully Binner comes in at a good number and plays up to his own expectations. It's just tough because if he gets a big ticket, you're gonna have to get that space from somewhere.
I think a decent comp is Hellebuyck. Helle got 6 years at 6.2 mil after the 17-18 season. No way JB50 takes less than that imo

BluesSK wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:21 pm

Does anybody else not like seeing O'Reilly on the PK? I think it's a joke that our most powerful offensive weapon is killing himself on the PK.
He is also one of our best defensive forwards. I'm not sure I'd even call him our most powerful offensive weapon anyway. He's just an all around solid player who you can feel comfortable playing in any situation. Can't have enough guys like that IMOH

Rivermanfan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:08 am

He is also one of our best defensive forwards. I'm not sure I'd even call him our most powerful offensive weapon anyway. He's just an all around solid player who you can feel comfortable playing in any situation. Can't have enough guys like that IMOH
Yeah, I absolutely get the notion of wanting to rest your best players, and minimize injury risk from blocking shots, but he's one of the best 5 defensive forwards in the league. Plus PKs go a lot smoother when you win the initial faceoff, and few do that better than ROR.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:46 am

Yeah, I absolutely get the notion of wanting to rest your best players, and minimize injury risk from blocking shots, but he's one of the best 5 defensive forwards in the league. Plus PKs go a lot smoother when you win the initial faceoff, and few do that better than ROR.
Yup,its all about the faceoffs.

BlueinNy wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:46 am

Yup,its all about the faceoffs.
Point taken, but our PK sucks right now anyways. Other centermen better start practicing their faceoffs because we aren't going to win a Cup with O'Reilly killing ten minutes plus of ice time shorthanded a game.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:29 pm

I think a decent comp is Hellebuyck. Helle got 6 years at 6.2 mil after the 17-18 season. No way JB50 takes less than that imo
There are currently 5 goalies with a cap hit of $7M or more - Price, Bobrovsky, Vasilevskiy, Rask and Fleury. I think the market has learned from Price and Bob, Rask and Fleury have been candidates to be dumped, and Vasi is great but clearly overpaid. Short of Binny almost single-handedly winning us another Cup this season, I don't see any scenario where another GM is going to be backing up the Brinks truck to offer him more than $6.5M as a UFA. I need to read the JR article, but I think that if there is a sticking point negotiating with him it will be years and not dollars. I don't think he's getting $7M a year anywhere unless he finishes this season like he did in 2019.

MissouriMook wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:56 pm

There are currently 5 goalies with a cap hit of $7M or more - Price, Bobrovsky, Vasilevskiy, Rask and Fleury. I think the market has learned from Price and Bob, Rask and Fleury have been candidates to be dumped, and Vasi is great but clearly overpaid. Short of Binny almost single-handedly winning us another Cup this season, I don't see any scenario where another GM is going to be backing up the Brinks truck to offer him more than $6.5M as a UFA. I need to read the JR article, but I think that if there is a sticking point negotiating with him it will be years and not dollars. I don't think he's getting $7M a year anywhere unless he finishes this season like he did in 2019.
JR article said people expect the AAV to be between $5.5 and 6.5 depending on term. We'll see how it goes.

If you are a Vezina winner and lead your team to a Stanley Cup it's hard to get called overpaid.

As for Carey Price, 8 years at 10.5 million was definitely too long and too much money. But that's not where the market is or where JB50's going to be looking at.

I'm not really sure what's wrong with Rask contract? He's in the final year of it and I think they've gotten their money's worth out of it.

I'm not sure what number you'd equate to brinks truck quality but he's got more credentials than both Helle and Gibson who make 6.2 and 6.4. A team that thinks they are just a goalie away, and there's plenty would definitely pay that for JB50 imo. They'd be crazy not to. Hell, Calgary was so desperate they just gave Markstrom 6 million and what's he done to warrant that?

5 years between 35-40 million is my guess.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:35 pm Moral of the story, a lot of goalie contracts don't work out but the Blues also don't have a backup option. I don't want to go back to the Osgood, Mason, Elliott, Turek, Allen, Braithwaite, Carey, Barrasso, the corpse of Brodeur days
I've always thought Enterprise should make a local version of the Brodeur commercials wearing Blues gear.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:31 pm

If you are a Vezina winner and lead your team to a Stanley Cup it's hard to get called overpaid.

As for Carey Price, 8 years at 10.5 million was definitely too long and too much money. But that's not where the market is or where JB50's going to be looking at.

I'm not really sure what's wrong with Rask contract? He's in the final year of it and I think they've gotten their money's worth out of it.

I'm not sure what number you'd equate to brinks truck quality but he's got more credentials than both Helle and Gibson who make 6.2 and 6.4. A team that thinks they are just a goalie away, and there's plenty would definitely pay that for JB50 imo. They'd be crazy not to. Hell, Calgary was so desperate they just gave Markstrom 6 million and what's he done to warrant that?

5 years between 35-40 million is my guess.
Fewer things are funnier to me in hockey than the perceptions Bruins have of their possible Hall of Fame goalie. He's been incredible for them, pretty much his entire career. He damn near won the Conn Smythe in 2019 (and honestly maybe should have?) despite being on the losing team. He's so good, and they hate him so much. Probably because he took Tim Thomas's job. Whatever the reason, it will never not crack me up.