Re: News and Games around the NHL

it's leading with direct head contact on a late hit. dirty, and as was said, gutless. can you explain why it's not?

and, "both players at fault"? as in, "how dare that guy put his chin directly into that other man, he could have broken his shoulder pad,", or that it's his fault for skating with his head down and/or watching the puck? hopefully the latter. i can see that for sure, but i'd still be fucking furious if that was my son getting hit. in fact, i've had to watch him get hit just like that, and i was fucking furious, even though he knew he put himself in a bad position.

T.C. wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:21 am it's leading with direct head contact on a late hit. dirty, and as was said, gutless. can you explain why it's not?

and, "both players at fault"? as in, "how dare that guy put his chin directly into that other man, he could have broken his shoulder pad,", or that it's his fault for skating with his head down and/or watching the puck? hopefully the latter. i can see that for sure, but i'd still be fucking furious if that was my son getting hit. in fact, i've had to watch him get hit just like that, and i was fucking furious, even though he knew he put himself in a bad position.
The latter. I think awareness in the league has dropped because players take for granted if they don't have the puck, they aren't going to be hit, especially in the open ice. It's not his fault he was hit in the head, but he was completely unaware of the chance he was about to be hit to brace himself or throw his shoulder into the other guy.

It's still a dirty hit.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:05 am I will say that the replay in the gif above makes it look a lot later than it would be in real time. The direct contact to the head is the big issue here for me.
I see the head contact...but it wasn't targeting the head. I can see how it is a penalty, but to call it a gutless hit seems over the top. Also...everything looks worse in slow mo.

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:13 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:05 am I will say that the replay in the gif above makes it look a lot later than it would be in real time. The direct contact to the head is the big issue here for me.
I see the head contact...but it wasn't targeting the head. I can see how it is a penalty, but to call it a gutless hit seems over the top. Also...everything looks worse in slow mo.
I wouldn't call it gutless, but I would call it suspension worthy.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:21 pm Why didn't anyone call this hit gutless?

Same reason Paul Kariya was allowed to return after being put to sleep. Hockey has changed. But that's not exactly a new idea.

If your beef is with the guy saying it was "gutless", well you have his Twitter handle, go yell at him. I'm not sure how you can pretend it wasn't a dirty hit, though.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:30 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:21 pm Why didn't anyone call this hit gutless?

Same reason Paul Kariya was allowed to return after being put to sleep. Hockey has changed. But that's not exactly a new idea.

If your beef is with the guy saying it was "gutless", well you have his Twitter handle, go yell at him. I'm not sure how you can pretend it wasn't a dirty hit, though.
Dirty? To me dirty is a butt end to the chops. That was a full speed hit which ended up making contact with the head. I don't see how you can call it dirty or gutless.

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Dirty? To me dirty is a butt end to the chops. That was a full speed hit which ended up making contact with the head. I don't see how you can call it dirty or gutless.
Semantics, I guess. Blindside hit to the head is dirty to me. I love an open ice check but you can't have point of contact be the head, especially if the victim doesn't move to cause it.

Are you saying it was a clean hockey play?

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:13 pm
    I can see your point. It would be better to view at game speed. Probably won’t look that bad.

MissouriMook wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:57 pm
    CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:29 am Anyone care to explain the outrage?

1. Leading with the elbow
    2. Head is the principal point of contact (from shoulder)
    3. Both of these
    4. Neither of these

Now, how good were you in school with multiple choice?
    Is he really leading with the elbow...it looks like that in slow motion...in full speed it seems like a player trying to make a hit. If he had extended the elbow I could see your point.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:47 pm
    CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:39 pm

Semantics, I guess. Blindside hit to the head is dirty to me. I love an open ice check but you can't have point of contact be the head, especially if the victim doesn't move to cause it.

Are you saying it was a clean hockey play?
      When you are talking about dirty hits...intent is a factor. Had the player extended into the hit...and reached for the head I can see how one could interpret it as dirty. This looks like a hockey hit and I don't see it as dirty or meriting a suspension.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 am
      Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:56 am
      Look, I don't want to make a joke about what could be a serious situation, but I feel like I also am required to speculate that Toews clearly caught a case of "Effthismyteamsucksagainandimgettingtooldforthisitis".
      Dach hurt. Darvish traded. Bears about to be eliminated from playoff contention. Now Toews. Not a good week for Chicago sports fans

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 am
      Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:56 am
      Look, I don't want to make a joke about what could be a serious situation, but I feel like I also am required to speculate that Toews clearly caught a case of "Effthismyteamsucksagainandimgettingtooldforthisitis".
      EffthisChicagosportsfanswillalwayssuckandillneverfeelsorryforanyoftheireffingsportsheroes. Thereisaiditforallofusnextsubtopic.