Re: Random Blues history / memories thread

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:32 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:30 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 pmIt was Todd Gill
That’s right. No wonder I was like Hal Gill? :lol:

You know I was watching the 87 Canada Cup recently and I realized the Blues had 3 of those Russian defensemen here in Kravchuck, Gusarov and Kasatonov. Weird
You ever hear that Gusarov story from Tkachuk? Talked about what a goofball Gusarov was. Walt said after getting beat in the playoffs, they hated having to go through that hand shake like that year..2001 I believe it was. Anyway he said they were all distraught and as they are going through the line, here comes their teammate Gusarov coming towards them smiling and shaking their hands! :lol:
Ha Ha — hilarious :lol: Sounds like another confused Russian.

T.C. wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:29 am from humble beginnings... what a season.
I remember the end of that game so well. I had brushed off the slow start as just a team with a bunch of key new faces not gelling. That loss was an "oh shit" moment. The hole wasn't a canyon yet, but they didn't look right. I wonder what happened after that, I can't remember.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:38 pm
T.C. wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:29 am from humble beginnings... what a season.
I remember the end of that game so well. I had brushed off the slow start as just a team with a bunch of key new faces not gelling. That loss was an "oh shit" moment. The hole wasn't a canyon yet, but they didn't look right. I wonder what happened after that, I can't remember.
A fight in practice, a few come back wins and thrilling OT wins, Yeo being fired, a tough and competitive road trip right at Christmas break, Binnington called up, and Gloria. Not in that order, but something like that.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Looking back to that winning season, a lot of things came together at the right time:
- The last “normal” Stanley Cup win before that whole Covid-19 thing started
- Pietro still trying to play good hockey as the team captain instead of only chasing the money…
- Tarasenko could play healthy enough to score some very important goals during that playoff run
- Beat Boston in the finals to eliminate that annoying Bobby Orr scoring thing couple of decades back…
- Win against an incredibly old and slow looking Jumbo Joe in the WCF
- Win the cup with a rookie goalie
- Win the cup after being last on first of January

Did I miss something?

Oh yes, and don’t forget the “we are the better team on paper and should win this series” quote from Patrik Laine :lol:

BillP. wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:03 am I wouldnt say he handled him. He had Twist clenched pretty good but Twister worked thru it and laid some shots before losing balance. I would say slight edge to Berube.
which, in the context of twist, is as good as one can do, hence "handled". my memory is most people were either obvious losers, with very few obvious winners against him. if you don't fall into either category, you handled him.