Re: News and Games around the NHL

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:54 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:01 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:13 pmWhy does the NBA already have their start date and schedule going but the NHL is all mum?
Come on, you know the answer to that.
Is it because ballers are way cooler than skaters?
The NBA has its act together far better than the NHL, which is crazy, isn't that why they hired Bettman fifty years ago.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 am
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:54 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:01 am
Come on, you know the answer to that.
Is it because ballers are way cooler than skaters?
The NBA has its act together far better than the NHL, which is crazy, isn't that why they hired Bettman fifty years ago.
I wasn't hating on Bettman exclusively, everyone at the negotiating table for both the owners and players are dummies. I will provide no examples :lol:
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Next season is going to be weird. There are major labor issues going on right now, but assuming they get ironed out, there are some interesting one time division realignment plans being discussed:

I'm not sure if this is more or less competitive than the regular Central division, but for one year I kind of dig the variety.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:06 am Next season is going to be weird. There are major labor issues going on right now, but assuming they get ironed out, there are some interesting one time division realignment plans being discussed:

I'm not sure if this is more or less competitive than the regular Central division, but for one year I kind of dig the variety.
lather my entire body in Blues Red wings in the same division
Just a Russian propaganda account

a "canada" division while all other teams are at least somewhat geographically aligned would be fucking brutal on canadian teams. that travel all the way across the continent for when montreal/ottowa/toronto play vancouver/calgary/edmonton is beyond onerous compared to the in-geo travel in the other divisions. if i were canadian teams, i'd be raising hell at this prospect at the travel costs alone, not to mention stress on people.

between this and the "reverse jersey" program, i think NHL leadership has suffered too many bumps on the ol' noggin. and/or are just plain fucking stupid.

T.C. wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 am a "canada" division while all other teams are at least somewhat geographically aligned would be fucking brutal on canadian teams. that travel all the way across the continent for when montreal/ottowa/toronto play vancouver/calgary/edmonton is beyond onerous compared to the in-geo travel in the other divisions. if i were canadian teams, i'd be raising hell at this prospect at the travel costs alone, not to mention stress on people.

between this and the "reverse jersey" program, i think NHL leadership has suffered too many bumps on the ol' noggin. and/or are just plain fucking stupid.
That's brutal, isn't it? Though I thought I heard that they're looking at seriously modifying the schedule to minimize travel altogether. That would mean playing a baseball type schedule where you play multiple games against a team while you're in their town before moving onto the next one. That way if your the Habs, you only have to make one trip to Vancouver. No clue if that's where there headed but I thought that was on the table.

Of course all this is irrelevant since the owners are asking for more salary deferrals and the players are pissed. I just hope they play at all.

T.C. wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 am a "canada" division while all other teams are at least somewhat geographically aligned would be fucking brutal on canadian teams. that travel all the way across the continent for when montreal/ottowa/toronto play vancouver/calgary/edmonton is beyond onerous compared to the in-geo travel in the other divisions. if i were canadian teams, i'd be raising hell at this prospect at the travel costs alone, not to mention stress on people.

I love a good opportunity to bad mouth upper management. I live for it. I majored in it in college. However, I'm pretty sure the canada division is simply out of the fact that players can't freely travel across the border at will during these times.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:34 am

I love a good opportunity to bad mouth upper management. I live for it. I majored in it in college. However, I'm pretty sure the canada division is simply out of the fact that players can't freely travel across the border at will during these times.
For comparison sake, it was just announced the NBA's lone Canadian team will start off the season playing their games in Tampa instead of Toronto. So unless all the Canadian hockey teams want to play solely in the US, it's necessary to put them in a division together.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:34 am

that doesn't mean it makes sense.

curious, what does one do with a degree in "fuck upper management"? i may be persuaded to go back to school.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:50 am So correct me if I'm wrong(never am), but if the season is hoping to start on January 1st, wouldn't that mean players would need to start showing up for camp in the next, uhm week or two?
I imagine they'd like to know how much they're going to be paid first.
This is probably a good time to remind everyone that they're going to do whatever it takes to finish the season in early to mid-July since NBC will be broadcasting basically nothing but the Olympics on all of it's networks at this point. Hope nobody was counting on an 82 game season.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:50 am So correct me if I'm wrong(never am), but if the season is hoping to start on January 1st, wouldn't that mean players would need to start showing up for camp in the next, uhm week or two?
This is probably a good time to remind everyone that they're going to do whatever it takes to finish the season in early to mid-July since NBC will be broadcasting basically nothing but the Olympics on all of it's networks at this point. Hope nobody was counting on an 82 game season.
It might be a little awkward for the players, but I think I would prefer that they delay the start of the regular season by a few more weeks to try to get more of the COVID stuff behind them, finish the regular season in early- to mid-July, take three weeks off for the Olympics, then start into the playoffs after the Olympic Games are over. This would allow them to get 60-70 regular season game in next season and allow for the highest likelihood of having at least some fans in attendance for as many games as possible - good for the players, owners, networks and fans.

They would still award the Cup by late September, have the entry draft, expansion draft and free agency in October, and try to start camps in early November and the 2021-22 season before American Thanksgiving. That would allow them to have a full season the following season and award the Cup in mid-July and get back to more of a regular schedule by the 2022-23 season.

MissouriMook wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am

It might be a little awkward for the players, but I think I would prefer that they delay the start of the regular season by a few more weeks to try to get more of the COVID stuff behind them, finish the regular season in early- to mid-July, take three weeks off for the Olympics, then start into the playoffs after the Olympic Games are over. This would allow them to get 60-70 regular season game in next season and allow for the highest likelihood of having at least some fans in attendance for as many games as possible - good for the players, owners, networks and fans.

They would still award the Cup by late September, have the entry draft, expansion draft and free agency in October, and try to start camps in early November and the 2021-22 season before American Thanksgiving. That would allow them to have a full season the following season and award the Cup in mid-July and get back to more of a regular schedule by the 2022-23 season.
I wonder what either sides appetite is for an Olympic break. It makes sense from being able to get more games in, but further delays a return to something closer to the typical season start date for 21-22. I don't know if that's relevant at all, but your point about having more games with some amount of fans in the stands surely is appealing to all parties. Something that I assume is relevant in some fashion is that the upcoming season is the last year on NBC's exclusive US broadcast deal. I haven't heard anything about the negotiations lately, but it was widely reported that ESPN would like back in on the NHL. I believe NBC is keen on keeping a piece of the broadcast rights, but I highly doubt they're exclusive again. I'd assume the League would want multiple US broadcast partners just like NFL/MLB/NBA. Will Fox or a wildcard network want to get involved? That'll be interesting to see play out in the coming months.

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:30 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 pmAfter seeing Pietrangelo's new (amazing) house... no amount of money would've had him stay.

I wish him the best except when we play against him, but this tells me he is about the money and not about the team.
That's an extraordinary leap of logic, Oz. I hope you didn't hurt yourself. :?
Come on JMC, surely Petro couldn't have afforded a nice house in the St. Louis area. In fact, it's amazing he stayed as long as he did and played at a high level, living out of a cardboard box underneath 44.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:20 am
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:30 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 pmAfter seeing Pietrangelo's new (amazing) house... no amount of money would've had him stay.

I wish him the best except when we play against him, but this tells me he is about the money and not about the team.
That's an extraordinary leap of logic, Oz. I hope you didn't hurt yourself. :?
Come on JMC, surely Petro couldn't have afforded a nice house in the St. Louis area. In fact, it's amazing he stayed as long as he did and played at a high level, living out of a cardboard box underneath 44.
I heard the reason he picked up & moved his family to Summerlin was because they were fed up with having to scrounge new cardboard every time the Meramec River flooded the Hwy. 141 underpass in Valley Park.