Re: News and Games around the NHL

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:46 pm
Tfriede2 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:35 am Yeah, that’s the definition of a dirty hit. Principal point of contact is the head. Not much more to be said there.
It wasn't intentional. Motte has his head down and skates into Reaves back. Not sure how you are defining dirty, but you actually have to extend or deliberately make contact with the head for it to be dirty, neither of which happens.
Asserting that Motte skated into Reaves’ back is just incredibly asinine; I’m not sure how to even respond to that. Reaves did not square Motte up for a direct hit to the body. Instead, Reaves stays to the outside of Motte, where Motte’s head is located. Reaves then leans his back/shoulder into Motte’s head. I don’t know what the intent was, but in my mind, that’s dirty.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:26 pmAccording to this clarification video by the NHL...Reaves hit is technically illegal...still not dirty. There has to be intent to injure for the hit to be dirty.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1531410
On closer review of the video clip, I think I saw Reaves reaching in his pocket for a gloveful of fresh mud that he had mixed up in the dressing room for just such an opportunity. So the intent was definitely there to be dirty. Good call, refs!

Tfriede2 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:09 pm
Tfriede2 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:35 am Yeah, that’s the definition of a dirty hit. Principal point of contact is the head. Not much more to be said there.
It wasn't intentional. Motte has his head down and skates into Reaves back. Not sure how you are defining dirty, but you actually have to extend or deliberately make contact with the head for it to be dirty, neither of which happens.
Asserting that Motte skated into Reaves’ back is just incredibly asinine; I’m not sure how to even respond to that. Reaves did not square Motte up for a direct hit to the body. Instead, Reaves stays to the outside of Motte, where Motte’s head is located. Reaves then leans his back/shoulder into Motte’s head. I don’t know what the intent was, but in my mind, that’s dirty.
Reaves did not lean back, that is incredibly asinine. Reaves started on his path at the top of the circle and puts his head down....blah blah blah...this was not intentional targeting of the head, which is why he is only getting one game. I know you want to be outraged, it makes you feel like you are an uber fan. Do you want a cookie, hockey snowflake?

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:26 pm
Tfriede2 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:09 pm

Reaves did not lean back, that is incredibly asinine. Reaves started on his path at the top of the circle and puts his head down....blah blah blah...this was not intentional targeting of the head, which is why he is only getting one game. I know you want to be outraged, it makes you feel like you are an uber fan. Do you want a cookie, hockey snowflake?
I have to admit, I did literally laugh out loud at the hockey snowflake and outrage comment. I guess any time someone believes a hit is dirty makes them outraged and a hockey snowflake. I’ll remember that the next time you agree with any suspension, haha. (Edit: I won’t).

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:46 am
That is going to be a hell of a week, both for the Blues and the NHL as a whole. Considering that the Cup might have only have been handed out a couple days prior, it might be absolutely insane.
If Petro is already re-signed, which I expect him to be. Free Agent frenzy will be a snoozefest for Blues fans but should be fun around hockey.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:42 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:33 am So about face of the franchise Marc-Andre Fleury...
Shit, is MAF available? What a steal for some team out there to get him.
He's a pro's pro and very good in the room by all accounts. On the ice he hasn't been near worth his contract since the moment he's signed it. Vegas can't be carrying a $7M/year backup. Great dude, but below league average at stopping pucks the last two years.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:27 am I’ve always been impressed with Radulov and his competitive passion. Great signing by Dallas. Well worth it. He’s no bum like he was made out to be when he was in exile. Montreal should of figured out a way to retain him.
Absolutely, though that exile was well earned. When he finally came over to Nashville I believe he got benched for being out late the night before a playoff game. He's clearly matured since then and become a great pro. Now just 2 wins from the Final.

Award winners were announced last night:
Calder- Makar
Vezina- Hellebuyck
Norris- Josi
Hart- Draisaitl

No real surprises. The Norris had the most competition with Carlson and Josi, but I think they got it right. I might have voted differently, but honestly that was 6 months ago so I have no idea.

I wonder if this becomes somewhat prevalent with players leaving the safety of the bubble headed to areas that might have larger outbreaks. I suppose we probably won't hear about it for players though since they won't be playing again for a while. Note: not trying to stir up a Covid debate here whatsoever, just figured it was newsworthy given proximity to the team.