Re: Allen Traded to Habs for Picks

barnburner wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:57 pm
storey13 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:52 pm I bet Husso or Hofer will be the goalie. Husso is on a one way contract at 750k. Every dollar counts if you are trying to re-sign Petro and 750k for backup goalie is about as cheap as it can get.
Probably right. Not much sense trading Jake if you're going to have to pay 2 mill to his replacement.
Big gamble, but that's why Army makes the big bucks.
Agreed. I think Husso deserves a chance at backing up.

Hofer is too young to backup. Just needs to play in the AHL. I think he has huge potential tho.

BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:34 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:19 pm If you're curious who will be available if the Blues go looking outside the organization for a backup

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 12.18.21 PM.png
Put your money on Elliott coming back.
That would be a solid choice, but although I don't know his contract, my guess is that his cap number wouldn't be low enough to make trading Jake worthwhile.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:45 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 am Well that’s a bit of a yikes

The Blues never let information slip out. I doubt JR has any real inside info on where negotiations are right now and even if he is right, that can change with one phone call.

The Blues currently have 6.3 million in cap space after this trade.
With all the 19/20 contracts no longer on the books (Petro's 6.5m, Bouwmeester's 3.25m, Allen's 4.35m, Faulk's 4.8m) they still only have 6.3m in space? Did the cap go down or are other players getting huge raises? I assume that retaining Scandella is out of the question then.

insideout wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:05 pm
With all the 19/20 contracts no longer on the books (Petro's 6.5m, Bouwmeester's 3.25m, Allen's 4.35m, Faulk's 4.8m) they still only have 6.3m in space? Did the cap go down or are other players getting huge raises? I assume that retaining Scandella is out of the question then.
Scandella already re-signed.

Flat cap because of the shutdown, and the Blues have a couple of extensions kicking in (Schenn and Faulk).

Matangama wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:09 pm
Scandella already re-signed.
Yeah, I saw that. I misread. Faulk is on the payroll for a while too. My mistake.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:45 am

The Blues never let information slip out. I doubt JR has any real inside info on where negotiations are right now and even if he is right, that can change with one phone call.

The Blues currently have 6.3 million in cap space after this trade.
Just a Russian propaganda account

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:07 pm

JR's own article in The Athletic just last week indicated that the Blues hadn't offered more than $8M and Petro and his agent weren't looking for any more than the $9.06M Josi got last season. If these figures are accurate, I don't consider that to be "not close". If this is inaccurate, I think it is more likely that Petro and his camp are still looking for more than $9M that it is that Army is offering less than $8M.
Dollars might not be the issue but term will. I just don’t see Army giving an 8 year deal.

BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:24 pm And to think if Berube started Allen in Gm 6, maybe he wins series and would be going up against Vegas right now.
Meh......we didn’t deserve to win that series. Maybe it was key players feeling the effects of Covid or whatever, but Vancouver deserved to win that series. Now, if we had held on to win Game 5, my take would be different, but the team, and Jake, sucked balls and blew that game.

BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:11 pm
MissouriMook wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:07 pm

JR's own article in The Athletic just last week indicated that the Blues hadn't offered more than $8M and Petro and his agent weren't looking for any more than the $9.06M Josi got last season. If these figures are accurate, I don't consider that to be "not close". If this is inaccurate, I think it is more likely that Petro and his camp are still looking for more than $9M that it is that Army is offering less than $8M.
Dollars might not be the issue but term will. I just don’t see Army giving an 8 year deal.
I've heard that before but I'm not sure I believe it. He gave Schenn 8 years and his game likely won't age as gracefully. He gave Faulk (like it or not) 7 years on top of the one he had remaining. Neither deal was considered at the time to be "market value" implying that the term bought down the AAV. If Petro is willing to "settle" for $8.5M I don't consider that to be market value either, so the same philosophy should eliminate that as a barrier.

insideout wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:01 pm... Armstrong, who has traditionally equipped the team with good backup goaltending, has a rare miss with Johnson, Husso is out with an injury and the door opens for Binnington, who - if my memory serves me correctly - was stocking shelves at the Hy-Vee in Cedar Falls, Iowa at the time. ...
The one in College Square? I *love* that store!

Matangama wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:29 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:24 pm And to think if Berube started Allen in Gm 6, maybe he wins series and would be going up against Vegas right now.
Meh......we didn’t deserve to win that series. Maybe it was key players feeling the effects of Covid or whatever, but Vancouver deserved to win that series. Now, if we had held on to win Game 5, my take would be different, but the team, and Jake, sucked balls and blew that game.
Agree. We didn't deserve to win that series. Too much coasting.

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:56 pm
insideout wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:01 pm... Armstrong, who has traditionally equipped the team with good backup goaltending, has a rare miss with Johnson, Husso is out with an injury and the door opens for Binnington, who - if my memory serves me correctly - was stocking shelves at the Hy-Vee in Cedar Falls, Iowa at the time. ...
If you're looking for a difference making athlete in any sport, Hy-Vee is the place to send your scouts.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:16 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:56 pm
If you're looking for a difference making athlete in any sport, Hy-Vee is the place to send your scouts.
Unless it's X League football. In which case, you send each of your scouts a copy of the Victoria's Secret catalog.

BillP. wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:06 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:13 am NBC Sports-Pro Hockey Talk: Did Canadiens ‘hit a home run’ with Jake Allen acquisition?

Discuss ...
Yes, call it a Grand Salami. Habs might have the best 1-2 punch in league and it will pay big dividends in a condensed schedule.
It's not really important and its obviously all a matter of opinion but what else is there to talk about right now. With that said, you can't convince me the Boston tandem of Tuuka and Jaro aren't the best. I'd put the Vegas tandem at #2.
Just a Russian propaganda account