Re: Allen Traded to Habs for Picks

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:12 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:08 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 am

Could be Husso time, but Army's MO has been to have a veteran backup. Sometimes it works (Elliott/Hutton) sometimes it doesn't (Chad Johnson). I know we'd all like to see Husso get some time, but I'd put my money on Army getting a retread on the cheap.
It should be Husso time. But I have really high hopes for Fitzpatrick going for. I think that kid is going to be a damn good one.
Having not seen ANY of those guys play, I'm not high on Fitzpatrick. I think Hofer is the long term hope. I don't think Fitzpatrick has done much besides that Memorial Cup run. That's admittedly not nothing, but it seems to be more of the exception rather than the rule looking purely at stats.
Fitzpatrick is the Blues' new Jake Allen. Some scout saw him play a couple of lights-out games several seasons back, and he got labeled as a "can't miss tender." Good thing the Blues have that cap space now, because Fitz is a 2021 UFA. :idea:

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:42 am To me trading Allen and Bozak were the two most obvious moves for the Blues this off-season. Even if they don't get Petro, they'll be able to get that cap space to use one way or another.
I think Bozak is way underrated in this roster. Seeing that lineup without him in the last game against the Canucks made me realize how important he is to our depth.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:18 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:42 am To me trading Allen and Bozak were the two most obvious moves for the Blues this off-season. Even if they don't get Petro, they'll be able to get that cap space to use one way or another.
I think Bozak is way underrated in this roster. Seeing that lineup without him in the last game against the Canucks made me realize how important he is to our depth.
I like Bozak. If you can't come to an agreement with Petro I'd happily keep him around. However if they keep Petro he's just the only contract that you can take off the books of any meaningful without a full NTC that doesn't cripple you on the ice.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks the Blues got short changed on the deal? I think Allen was worth at least a 2nd rounder................if all you get is a 3rd then get a prospect that actually has possibilities.....................Allen had a fantastic year..............3rd was cheap IMO.....................so Blues and Canadiens discuss goalies again, makes you think back to the Cary Price rumors................

BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm Am I the only one that thinks the Blues got short changed on the deal? I think Allen was worth at least a 2nd rounder................if all you get is a 3rd then get a prospect that actually has possibilities.....................Allen had a fantastic year..............3rd was cheap IMO.....................so Blues and Canadiens discuss goalies again, makes you think back to the Cary Price rumors................
Tons of goalies on the market; flat salary cap; tons of uncertainty for the season ahead and maybe longer; Blues had a well-known cap issue to deal with, so they didn’t exactly have much bargaining power; and finally, while Jake has been very good, he is a backup goalie making $4.35 million.

BillP. wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm Am I the only one that thinks the Blues got short changed on the deal? I think Allen was worth at least a 2nd rounder................if all you get is a 3rd then get a prospect that actually has possibilities.....................Allen had a fantastic year..............3rd was cheap IMO.....................so Blues and Canadiens discuss goalies again, makes you think back to the Cary Price rumors................
I was trying to think of a similar trade to compare it to. James Reimer who has been a servicable goalie fetched just a 6th rounder and Scott Darling.

We have to remember while Jake had a solid season this year, he's a 4 million dollar inconsistent goalie with 1 year left on his deal. I would have loved to get a roster player in return for him to help the team now but this was clearly about clearing the cap space.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:44 pm
I was trying to think of a similar trade to compare it to. James Reimer who has been a servicable goalie fetched just a 6th rounder and Scott Darling.

We have to remember while Jake had a solid season this year, he's a 4 million dollar inconsistent goalie with 1 year left on his deal. I would have loved to get a roster player in return for him to help the team now but this was clearly about clearing the cap space.
Yeah I guess. I'm sure Army knows what the market is.......................I say Elliott is my first choice for getting signed and I'll say Jimmy Howard will be my second choice since there was rumors he was interested in him before......................well, least Army is talking to Bergevin these days, that's got to be good news right? Who knows what Doug might do with him :)

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:50 am

Could be Husso time, but Army's MO has been to have a veteran backup. Sometimes it works (Elliott/Hutton) sometimes it doesn't (Chad Johnson). I know we'd all like to see Husso get some time, but I'd put my money on Army getting a retread on the cheap.
Ironically, Chad Johnson was perhaps the most beneficial signing in Blues history. Armstrong, who has traditionally equipped the team with good backup goaltending, has a rare miss with Johnson, Husso is out with an injury and the door opens for Binnington, who - if my memory serves me correctly - was stocking shelves at the Hy-Vee in Cedar Falls, Iowa at the time. Does Binnington see the light of day in St. Louis in 18/19 if Johnson doesn't suck? Really, god bless that guy for shitting all over himself out there.

Glad to see the Blues find a taker for Allen without retaining any salary. Stand-up guy.... very good backup... but too expensive.

insideout wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:01 pm
Ironically, Chad Johnson was perhaps the most beneficial signing in Blues history. Armstrong, who has traditionally equipped the team with good backup goaltending, has a rare miss with Johnson, Husso is out with an injury and the door opens for Binnington, who - if my memory serves me correctly - was stocking shelves at the Hy-Vee in Cedar Falls, Iowa at the time. Does Binnington see the light of day in St. Louis in 18/19 if Johnson doesn't suck? Really, god bless that guy for shitting all over himself out there.
Great call on the Chad Johnson thing. For his contribution (by sucking), we should have put his name on the Cup!

I'd prefer to just give Ville Husso the crack at the backup job next season and reassess at next years trade deadline if you need someone more reliable or someone to compete with JB50 if he's not performing for some reason. And if you disagree, well that just proves you're not as smart as me so think about that for awhile.
Just a Russian propaganda account

storey13 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:52 pm I bet Husso or Hofer will be the goalie. Husso is on a one way contract at 750k. Every dollar counts if you are trying to re-sign Petro and 750k for backup goalie is about as cheap as it can get.
Probably right. Not much sense trading Jake if you're going to have to pay 2 mill to his replacement.
Big gamble, but that's why Army makes the big bucks.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 am Well that’s a bit of a yikes

JR's own article in The Athletic just last week indicated that the Blues hadn't offered more than $8M and Petro and his agent weren't looking for any more than the $9.06M Josi got last season. If these figures are accurate, I don't consider that to be "not close". If this is inaccurate, I think it is more likely that Petro and his camp are still looking for more than $9M that it is that Army is offering less than $8M.

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:07 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 am Well that’s a bit of a yikes

JR's own article in The Athletic just last week indicated that the Blues hadn't offered more than $8M and Petro and his agent weren't looking for any more than the $9.06M Josi got last season. If these figures are accurate, I don't consider that to be "not close". If this is inaccurate, I think it is more likely that Petro and his camp are still looking for more than $9M that it is that Army is offering less than $8M.
From that article:
The belief is that Pietrangelo asked for less than the eight-year, $72.5 million deal ($9.06 million average annual value) signed by Nashville’s Roman Josi in October and the Blues haven’t gone higher than $8 million AAV.
If the Blues are at 8 and Petro is at 9 that doesn't seem far apart unless there's a dispute about term. "Not close" from this morning might just refer to speed/urgency of dialog as well.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!