Pietrangelo Free Agency Talk

Anyone see the post-game press conference when Pietrangelo was asked about his free agency status and Petro said point blank that he wasn't going to talk about it.

His reaction to me was like he's leaving. As if maybe numbers have been discussed with Army and they're far apart? Just get the sense that he really is going to bolt.

Has to be Toronto or STL...........right? Why leave STL where you're the Captain of a team you already won a Cup with and has a chance at another for the next 3 years or so? Not to mention a statue waiting to be built for you as well.

I can see you walking away from this for your hometown in Toronto but anywhere else would be foolish IMO.

What's your take on Petro's reaction in the post game and what do you think he's leaning towards? To me, I feel he already has 1 foot out the door.

Re: Pietrangelo Free Agency Talk

I had a similar initial reaction, but after giving it a little more thought, the team's lackluster performance in the playoffs had to be a factor. As Captain, right or wrong, I would think he must feel some personal responsibility for the team's lack of intensity, and as such would not be in a very good mood.
My guess is the odds on him moving on, are probably 60/40. But predicting what Army might do, is hard to do.

Petro's reaction is the only reaction I'd expect from a guy that just lost in the playoffs, and means absolutely nothing to me. Why in the world would you say anything different? I don't think STL and Toronto are the only options. If I'm Dubas I'm only going after Petro if he takes a short term deal, but that would mean a higher cap hit than you'd get longer term, so I'm not sure if that'll work out. Unfortunately for Petro I don't think there are going to be a ton of teams in the right position competitively and in terms of cap space to make a play. A few surprise teams will jump in the mix. I really don't know how to handicap this one.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:59 pm Petro's reaction is the only reaction I'd expect from a guy that just lost in the playoffs, and means absolutely nothing to me. Why in the world would you say anything different? I don't think STL and Toronto are the only options. If I'm Dubas I'm only going after Petro if he takes a short term deal, but that would mean a higher cap hit than you'd get longer term, so I'm not sure if that'll work out. Unfortunately for Petro I don't think there are going to be a ton of teams in the right position competitively and in terms of cap space to make a play. A few surprise teams will jump in the mix. I really don't know how to handicap this one.
Agreed.....tough time to bring up that topic and expect any other kind of answer. Personally, I’m not worrying about it because I have no control over it. Army is a smart guy and will probably make the best decision for the Blues.

The Fabbri signing got me wondering if Detroit is a player for Petro. They clearly won't be contenders right away, but few teams are positioned to pay Petro his full market worth like the Wings. I'm sure they'd value his veteran hand on the backend both on the ice and in the room. If I recall correctly, they don't have a ton of gamebreaking talent in their prospect pool, but have some clear NHL guys on the way, and another high pick forthcoming. It makes sense for the Wings, but does it make sense for Petro? I guess it depends on what he's after and if he buys what Yzerman is selling.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:37 am For anyone upset Petro hadn't expressed much desire to stick around:

Still have no idea how this thing goes.
Whelp, that could be helpful in keeping him. Since the PO's ended for us, I've had a chance to come back to the land of empathy and think about how this affected the players. And I want AP back, and if we have to move CP55 to do it, then so be it. I don't believe we have anyone on the Blues that can fill AP's shoes if he goes.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:53 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:37 am For anyone upset Petro hadn't expressed much desire to stick around:

Still have no idea how this thing goes.
Whelp, that could be helpful in keeping him. Since the PO's ended for us, I've had a chance to come back to the land of empathy and think about how this affected the players. And I want AP back, and if we have to move CP55 to do it, then so be it. I don't believe we have anyone on the Blues that can fill AP's shoes if he goes.
I'm looking at it this way - I don't think there is room on the payroll or in the lineup for meaningful roles in a situation to succeed for all of Petro, Parayko and Faulk. Even if you disagree, if you make that assumption then it comes down to what is the best roster decision.

1. Petro + Faulk + what we can get for Parayko,
2. Petro + Parayko + what we can get for Faulk, or
3. Parayko + Faulk + what we can get or keep with the money we're not spending on a Petro extension.

To me, we're always going to be better with Petro, so keeping him knocks #3 out of the decision process. To me, and I understand those who disagree, Faulk + the return for Parayko >>> Parayko + the return for Faulk.

I don’t think we should be Petro-fied if we lose him. I think Army is going to push for him on his terms and is prepared to let him walk. It’s kind of exciting having that cap space and seeing what maneuvering Army would do. And who would be the next Captain. Schwartz? Or is he going to get traded? After that I guess ROR or Schenn.

BillP. wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm I don’t think we should be Petro-fied if we lose him. I think Army is going to push for him on his terms and is prepared to let him walk. It’s kind of exciting having that cap space and seeing what maneuvering Army would do. And who would be the next Captain. Schwartz? Or is he going to get traded? After that I guess ROR or Schenn.
My first choice would be ROR, but considering all the extra work he already puts in, not sure we would be doing him any favors. My next choice would be Schenn.

IMHO, there are only 4 players more or as valuable than Petro on this team:

ROR
Schenn
Binner
Tarasenko

Anyone else could and should be moved to keep AP27 as Blue.

Also, with the loss of JayBo, we need some serious help on LHD...as always. I love Dunn, but he is what he is at this point: A top 6 dman, but a bottom to mid paring at best. Never going to be a top pairing, and neither is Gunner or Mikola or anyone else we have as a prospect. Perhaps Perunovich will be that top LHD, but I wouldn't put him in a top pairing his first year. Would be great to have this:

XXXX/Petro
Perunovich/Parayko
Dunn/Bortz/Prospect/UFA

Bye bye Faulk.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

MissouriMook wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:23 pm
3. Parayko + Faulk + what we can get or keep with the money we're not spending on a Petro extension.

Absolutely nothing.

It could possibly be worked around but Faulk has a NTC.

The main sticking point is Faulk's salary is 9 million for the next 2 seasons. In the pre covid world that would have been hard for someone to take on. In the covid world absolutely zero chance.

STLBlueshistory wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:24 am
MissouriMook wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:23 pm

Absolutely nothing.

It could possibly be worked around but Faulk has a NTC.

The main sticking point is Faulk's salary is 9 million for the next 2 seasons. In the pre covid world that would have been hard for someone to take on. In the covid world absolutely zero chance.
That's a really good point about the actual salary vs. cap hit. Even if Faulk was willing to waive his NTC, the number of teams willing to eat that salary during what figures to be a couple lean years has to be pretty small. The only way Faulk isn't on this team for the long haul is if he's unprotected and drafted by Seattle.

I don’t see Faulk going anywhere for quite sometime . Army didn’t sign him to that contract to just give him up or hope Seattle takes him in the expansion draft.
The best advice Petro will get on any decision will likely come from his bff David Backes.
If Petro’s life long dream is to play for the Leafs...there ain’t much we can do about that. I don’t think it’s a money issue for Petro at all. He has a chance to do what he wants to do...money will not affect that decision one way or the other.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:24 am I don’t see Faulk going anywhere for quite sometime . Army didn’t sign him to that contract to just give him up or hope Seattle takes him in the expansion draft.
The best advice Petro will get on any decision will likely come from his bff David Backes.
If Petro’s life long dream is to play for the Leafs...there ain’t much we can do about that. I don’t think it’s a money issue for Petro at all. He has a chance to do what he wants to do...money will not affect that decision one way or the other.
Agree, except that in his position, money almost has to be a factor, if for no other reason than pride. Nobody likes being paid less than other people who are not as good at the same job. Army will have to walk a tightline between salary and years.

Someone needs to ask Carlo what exactly is market value for Petro these days? If he’s saying it’s $9.5 or $10.0 mil AAV, then I would suggest Carlo is a mouthpiece for Petro’s agent. But his comment is worthless without some idea of what people think “market value” is. Strange time to be a free agent, so I’m curious what comps are relevant.

BillP. wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:43 pm Sounds like Petro is gone. Army threw out his offer to Backes and that was pretty much it. I think he spoke of common ground with Backes too. How much does captaincy, legacy, memories and the equity of goodwill in STL mean to Petro? We’ll find out.
I trust Army to do the right thing. He certainly did with Backes.