Re: Playoff games [other teams]

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:01 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:56 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:45 pm

I think that's the point. The players want you to care, because they do. If this were a one off incident there wouldn't be protests anywhere, but it's far from an isolated incident.

Now to your original point, it's entirely possible that the League and PA are pandering. They have egg on their face for being the only League to not sit out in some capacity last night. It's also entirely possible they're not and they wanted to draw attention to what they feel is a societal problem.
So let people do what they want to do...no rules in society whatsoever. If the cop yells stop....just ignore it and get in your car and do you. Got it....
The guy is a criminal and the NHL is in support of him and nobody even questions it. It’s mind boggling.
No, I think the protest centers around the belief that one of the rules in society should be don't shoot people in the back as they slowly walk away from you if you can avoid it.
This. Justice is supposed to be blind, and most importantly here, is that the police are not the judge. They have a tough job, and a lot of responsibility. We always talk about people need to be held accountable for their actions. For some though, law enforcement is exempt from this accountability. Yeah, obey the law. But there are just too many cases in the USA where cop plays executioner, and there's no justice. No one person, regardless of their profession should be above the law.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

MissouriMook wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:38 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm It's a bogus hockey tournament that is nothing more than a money grab for the league. You'll be okay if you don't get to watch it for a couple days, I promise.

Maybe it's good that people don't have it as a "distraction" for those couple days because they need to be made uncomfortable.
I don’t care about the actual hockey games at all. The guy is a convicted criminal with a sex assault charge. The NHL is supporting that. That’s what’s fucked up
Tim, have you actually seen the video? Because if you haven't, this would be a good opportunity to do so. If you can watch that video and think that there is any way possible that this was justified, regardless of what his prior record contains, you should probably spend some time alone trying to figure out why you're OK with this. If you can't figure out what's wrong with what happened there, there is definitely something wrong with you.
I never said it was justified. Those cops have a job to do and this guy escalated the situation by doing what he wanted.. If he just stops and listens to them, the situation is likely diffused. Once the taser doesn’t work...what is the cops job? The guy was a convicted felon and a threat.
As far as something wrong with me ...sorry bruh, I back the blue 100% all the time . If that’s seen as there being something wrong with me, I’m all for it and I’ll gladly let you or anyone else believe that.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Tim, do you back the Blue 100%, does that mean they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions when they are illegal and/or result in harm? Just become a cop and you have a free license to kill?

I get wanting to support the police, military, and such. I come from a military family and I served as well. But I believe even during war, that we have to be held accountable and justice should still be equal. I just cannot see justification for anyone to be above the law. Do you?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:59 pm Tim, do you back the Blue 100%, does that mean they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions when they are illegal and/or result in harm? Just become a cop and you have a free license to kill?

I get wanting to support the police, military, and such. I come from a military family and I served as well. But I believe even during war, that we have to be held accountable and justice should still be equal. I just cannot see justification for anyone to be above the law. Do you?
Let's flip this around for a second. If you were the police officer and you gave a man an order to stop and he ignores that and walks to his car and reaches under the seat....at what point are you going to act?

Tim, I really don't think you mean what you said. As an example, a crack head wants a reduced sentence so they give the cops info on his supplier. But, as it turns out, he got the number of the house correct, but not the street. He actually gave them your address. At 4:00 AM they serve a search warrant, bust in your front door. Your dog (hypothetical, so you may not have a dog) hearing them bust in jumps the first cop he comes across. Two cops fire at the dog. The dog is killed. But, a stray bullet kills your child, too (again, you may not have kids). I find it hard to believe you'd back the blue 100% if that happened.

It's only partially hypothetical because I know of someone that had most of this happen. No child killed, but their dog was killed. It was the result of poor investigative policies. A little investigation would have determined that this was not a drug dealer's home. I also know someone who's dad was the sheriff of a town in Jefferson County for several years in the mid 80's to early 90's. Her dad was the only decent cop around. His life and his family life were threatened by the corrupt cops and local government should he try to clean things up. He eventually left because he couldn't deal with his family being put at risk.

I know you may not believe either story, but my main point is that people's blind loyalty to ANY group (police, religion, political, military) is what the big problem in this country really is. People put blinders on and refuse to even try to understand the other side's viewpoint. Until we can rationally talk about these things, nothing is going to get better.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:59 pm Tim, do you back the Blue 100%, does that mean they shouldn't be held accountable for their actions when they are illegal and/or result in harm? Just become a cop and you have a free license to kill?

There are bad cops out there for sure, I won’t deny that but when a convicted felon decides to do what he wants...bad things might happen and not just to him. The police are there to deescalate the situation. I’m not a cop but I know the danger of their jobs.
My point also really has nothing to do with how the police handled the situation. If it took 7 shots to defuse the situation who am I to argue that? My life wasn’t on the line there, that’s the cops call. My point Is about the NHL supporting a criminal with a sex conviction. I wonder how NHL female fans feel about that?

"Suck a dick Johansen"

I do have one idea about how to change the outcome of SOME of these situations. There could be a very valid reason that this cannot be done, but I think it's worth looking into. Why not are the police with tranquillizer dart guns? That offers a non-lethal way to subdue those individuals that don't like to cooperate with the police.

Maybe it's that some people are going to be alergic to the drug. Who knows, but doesn't that seem like a much better option than going from a taser to a bullet?
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

stlblues1226 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:26 pm I do have one idea about how to change the outcome of SOME of these situations. There could be a very valid reason that this cannot be done, but I think it's worth looking into. Why not are the police with tranquillizer dart guns? That offers a non-lethal way to subdue those individuals that don't like to cooperate with the police.

Maybe it's that some people are going to be alergic to the drug. Who knows, but doesn't that seem like a much better option than going from a taser to a bullet?
So let’s equip police with a dart gun while the person they are after might be a felon with a real gun or an Ar15?
C’mon man..

"Suck a dick Johansen"

I’m going to make a feeble attempt to steer this back to hockey.......

Watching Tampa, I have a few slightly interesting observations:
1) Brayden Point is a fucking beast, I think that’s pretty obvious. But doesn’t Robert Thomas, when he is really on his game, remind you, at least a little bit, of Point? No, I don’t expect Thomas to become a point-per-game player like Point is, but they are similar size, both have outstanding quickness, and both have great hands. By the way, Thomas is about 3 years younger, so keep that in mind.

2) Pat Maroon was a perfect addition for Tampa, both on and probably off the ice. If they win the Cup this year, that move to sign him will have a lot to do with it,

3) You know who I think has looked pretty darn good, and I’m shocked by it? Zach Bogosian. I think he is thriving being on a winning team, and he has been really solid. He is also a free agent and was picked one spot in front of Petro in the 2008 draft, so he is obviously a little bit better! Ok, I’m joking. My main concern in signing him as a last pairing kind of guy is that he Isn’t very durable. Lots of injuries over the years. But as a playoff addition, he looks like another good move by Tampa.

Matangama wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:44 pm I’m going to make a feeble attempt to steer this back to hockey.......

1) Brayden Point is a fucking beast, I think that’s pretty obvious. But doesn’t Robert Thomas, when he is really on his game, remind you, at least a little bit, of Point? No, I don’t expect Thomas to become a point-per-game player like Point is, but they are similar size, both have outstanding quickness, and both have great hands. By the way, Thomas is about 3 years younger, so keep that in mind.

2) Pat Maroon was a perfect addition for Tampa, both on and probably off the ice. If they win the Cup this year, that move to sign him will have a lot to do with it,

3) You know who I think has looked pretty darn good, and I’m shocked by it? Zach Bogosian. I think he is thriving being on a winning team, and he has been really solid. He is also a free agent and was picked one spot in front of Petro in the 2008 draft, so he is obviously a little bit better! Ok, I’m joking. My main concern in signing him as a last pairing kind of guy is that he Isn’t very durable. Lots of injuries over the years. But as a playoff addition, he looks like another good move by Tampa.
Don’t forget Luke Schenn too. He’s played pretty well for being thrown into the situation.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:30 pm
stlblues1226 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:26 pm I do have one idea about how to change the outcome of SOME of these situations. There could be a very valid reason that this cannot be done, but I think it's worth looking into. Why not are the police with tranquillizer dart guns? That offers a non-lethal way to subdue those individuals that don't like to cooperate with the police.

So let’s equip police with a dart gun while the person they are after might be a felon with a real gun or an Ar15?
C’mon man..
To each their own. You'd rather kill someone than just disarm or disable them. That's your choice. If someone is unconscious what weapon they have is irrelevant. Why even carry a taser then? Just shoot them. Do what I say or I'll try to kill you. That's a police force that Mao would endorse.

I'm not saying take the guns away but let's try something more consistently effective than a taser. We need a better non-lethal option than a taser.

Schenn has definitely looked good. As I mentioned the other night, Tampa now has Stamkos, Bogosian, and Schenn, so they are a sure bet to sign Pietrangelo. That would give them 4 of the top 5 picks from the 2008 draft!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:43 pm
Matangama wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:32 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:17 pm A general strike is as American as apple pie. Sorry some of you won't get to watch hockey tonight. Maybe go outside or spend time with your loved ones. We wanted peaceful protest, right? Doesn't get more peaceful than a walk out.
Dread, no argument with your comments, in general.......but this has absolutely nothing to do with the NHL. Are professional sports going to shut down (or strike/walk out in your words) every time something bad happens? Did the NHL shut down when that 5-year old kid got shot in the head - executed - while riding his bike in front of his house a couple of weeks ago? Was that not “as bad” as what happened to Jacob Blake?
Of course it has nothing to do with the NHL itself. They aren't protesting the NHL by walking out.

The person who shot the 5 year old is a piece of shit and is rightfully in jail being charged and will die in prison. That's called justice.

The police who broke into Breonna Taylor's home and murdered her aren't in jail and aren't charged. That is called injustice.

It's not simply the violent acts people are fed up with, it's the lack of justice when violent acts are committed. People who commit murder should be charged as such. We agree on that right? This has people feeling frustrated to the point where they are trying anything to be heard.
You're not the only one of this board that understands this. I wish more 'muricans' did. This is all I'm adding to this convo.
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:23 pm

There are bad cops out there for sure, I won’t deny that but when a convicted felon decides to do what he wants...bad things might happen and not just to him. The police are there to deescalate the situation. I’m not a cop but I know the danger of their jobs.
My point also really has nothing to do with how the police handled the situation. If it took 7 shots to defuse the situation who am I to argue that? My life wasn’t on the line there, that’s the cops call. My point Is about the NHL supporting a criminal with a sex conviction. I wonder how NHL female fans feel about that?
They didn't know at the time that he was a felon(last time I checked, felons are entitled to human rights still). Also, disobeying a police order alone doesn't justify murder or attempted murder by a cop. If a cop feels they hasve no other choice but to shoot unarmed humans to control a situation, then maybe they shouldn't be a cop? But instead, its a shoot first ask questions later mentality. And if cops were held to the same justice they are paid to enforce, there's be fewer cop shootings and fewer deaths.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm It's a bogus hockey tournament that is nothing more than a money grab for the league. You'll be okay if you don't get to watch it for a couple days, I promise.

Maybe it's good that people don't have it as a "distraction" for those couple days because they need to be made uncomfortable.
I don’t care about the actual hockey games at all. The guy is a convicted criminal with a sex assault charge. The NHL is supporting that. That’s what’s fucked up
I'd like to see a link associated to that.

Google brought up nothing. Facebook fake memes have, but google links have not.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 pm

It’s public info and it’s out there. 3rd degree sexual assault charge plus a host of other things

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:54 pm
Matangama wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:44 pm I’m going to make a feeble attempt to steer this back to hockey.......

Don’t forget Luke Schenn too. He’s played pretty well for being thrown into the situation.
I must say, Luke Schenn has been an absolute surprise!

Halak is somehow being good again... without Rask I thought for sure Boston was doomed.

VGK is looking great even with a loss and what happened to the Avs?!

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:33 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:23 pm

It’s public info and it’s out there. 3rd degree sexual assault charge plus a host of other things
No he is not. He has an arrest warrant. Arrest warrant does NOT equal conviction. Come on Tim, you're smarter than this.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN25N2ZO
"Do Only Good Everyday"

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Let's flip this around for a second. If you were the police officer and you gave a man an order to stop and he ignores that and walks to his car and reaches under the seat....at what point are you going to act?
Even if that we’re the case (and it’s not) why not put one in his leg before he gets to the car as opposed to unloading half a clip in his back? Still excessive, but at least the guy’s not dead or paralyzed.

At what point did it become OK that being able to subdue a suspected perp is no longer part of the job description? How many cops were there on the scene and unloading a gun in his back was the only way to stop him? Bullshit. If you can’t do the job without resorting to execution in lieu of due process don’t take the job.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Tim, have you actually seen the video? Because if you haven't, this would be a good opportunity to do so. If you can watch that video and think that there is any way possible that this was justified, regardless of what his prior record contains, you should probably spend some time alone trying to figure out why you're OK with this. If you can't figure out what's wrong with what happened there, there is definitely something wrong with you.
I never said it was justified. Those cops have a job to do and this guy escalated the situation by doing what he wanted.. If he just stops and listens to them, the situation is likely diffused. Once the taser doesn’t work...what is the cops job? The guy was a convicted felon and a threat.
As far as something wrong with me ...sorry bruh, I back the blue 100% all the time . If that’s seen as there being something wrong with me, I’m all for it and I’ll gladly let you or anyone else believe that.
That is such narrow minded bullshit. As if you would still be all “Yeah cops!” tomorrow if one busted down your door tonight and put 4 slugs in your wife's chest. My guess is you won’t ever have to worry about that because of who you are and where you live, but I know plenty of people who do.

I believe that >90% of cops are good and genuinely want to serve, and I absolutely support them, but anyone who supports 100% of the cops 100% of the time is willfully ignorant of how many truly evil men and women hide behind the badge and revel in being able to abuse the power behind it. If you’re not supportive of everyone being held accountable under the law regardless of who they are, where they’re from and what color their skin is, you’re absolutely part of the problem. But I guess it’s just easier to blame the victim and back the blue and complain about being inconvenienced because a certain group of people are tired of being shit on and shot at. Pathetic.

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:20 pm

They didn't know at the time that he was a felon(last time I checked, felons are entitled to human rights still). Also, disobeying a police order alone doesn't justify murder or attempted murder by a cop. If a cop feels they hasve no other choice but to shoot unarmed humans to control a situation, then maybe they shouldn't be a cop? But instead, its a shoot first ask questions later mentality. And if cops were held to the same justice they are paid to enforce, there's be fewer cop shootings and fewer deaths.
In what world do you live in where you actually believe that lawmen don't know who they are dealing with? The taser had no effect, he reached into a car. Boom. Criminal stopped from killing me or my partner. You might ask why 7 shots, and the cop might answer because I was fucking scared I'd never see my kids again. I'm sick and tired of people putting these fucking idiots on a pedestal as just being a great guy trying to make ends meet. I've dealt with many and I can tell you from experience they would watch you bleed out and laugh. Save the liberal bullshit, he is not a matyr.

MissouriMook wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:33 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Even if that we’re the case (and it’s not) why not put one in his leg before he gets to the car as opposed to unloading half a clip in his back? Still excessive, but at least the guy’s not dead or paralyzed.

At what point did it become OK that being able to subdue a suspected perp is no longer part of the job description? How many cops were there on the scene and unloading a gun in his back was the only way to stop him? Bullshit. If you can’t do the job without resorting to execution in lieu of due process don’t take the job.
Okay...here we have an arrest going wrong....the police officer in a split second makes the wrong decision, is it a mistake or systemic racism?

MissouriMook wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:46 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:52 pm
That is such narrow minded bullshit. As if you would still be all “Yeah cops!” tomorrow if one busted down your door tonight and put 4 slugs in your wife's chest. My guess is you won’t ever have to worry about that because of who you are and where you live, but I know plenty of people who do.

I believe that >90% of cops are good and genuinely want to serve, and I absolutely support them, but anyone who supports 100% of the cops 100% of the time is willfully ignorant of how many truly evil men and women hide behind the badge and revel in being able to abuse the power behind it. If you’re not supportive of everyone being held accountable under the law regardless of who they are, where they’re from and what color their skin is, you’re absolutely part of the problem. But I guess it’s just easier to blame the victim and back the blue and complain about being inconvenienced because a certain group of people are tired of being shit on and shot at. Pathetic.
So you support a criminal that disobeyed police orders and did what he was going to do and is now paralyzed because of HIS actions. Now that is pathetic Mook...truly fucking pathetic.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

BlueinNy wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:34 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:20 pm

In what world do you live in where you actually believe that lawmen don't know who they are dealing with? The taser had no effect, he reached into a car. Boom. Criminal stopped from killing me or my partner. You might ask why 7 shots, and the cop might answer because I was fucking scared I'd never see my kids again. I'm sick and tired of people putting these fucking idiots on a pedestal as just being a great guy trying to make ends meet. I've dealt with many and I can tell you from experience they would watch you bleed out and laugh. Save the liberal bullshit, he is not a matyr.
It’s really unbelievable...I simply can’t understand this bullshit at all. Not only that but these last two guys this happened too were woman beaters not mention a sexual assault and they have been turned into heroes? Lol...shit is comical and nobody says a damn thing because they are scared that somebody else will get pissed off and they will lose their job.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

The most ridiculous part of everything happening right now is a certain group of people want to judge the entirety of the protests on the worst actors (rioters) yet don't judge the entirety of the police force on its worst actors. When it comes to the police, its always just a few bad apples or something like that.

If this only happened a couple of times a year we could say its a few bad apples. Things like this happen so often (and not only to black people--its for sure not a racism issue alone, its an abuse of power issue) that its impossible to say its just "a few bad apples". If there are a few bad apples around and you don't attempt to change things so that those bad apples are removed from a position of power than the truth is you're also bad, and it becomes a systemic problem.

Thats all I'm going to say on this because I don't want to argue about policing on a hockey forum. On a related note, go watch The Wire