Re: GDT: Game 6: St Louis Blues vs Vancouver - 8:45 8/21 - TV:NBCSN/FSMW

stlblues1226 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:07 pm Anyone think Vancouver has a chance against VGK?
Not really. Vegas has goaltending and they’re the deeper team. They’ll probably win in 5. Which is what the Blues could of done had they had goaltending all series.

Goaltending just changes the complexion of a team. It can make a team look like shit or it can elevate a team to great heights. We’ve seen both ends of the spectrum these last 2 years.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:16 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:53 pm Wasn't it just last everyone was saying "Hall is not a Berube type player"???

I'm still not a fan of his. I just think his best years are behind him.
Damaged goods, he had that one great season, besides that I have never really been impressed with Hall.
He's good, but going to get overpaid. Sucks for him that he's UFA during a flat cap, but that's life in 2020. I agree that I don't think he makes sense for the Blues anymore.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:41 am The Blues sure were not playing like they wanted to win this game...and starting Binnington....first bad move Berube has made.
I don't consider it a bad move. Jake had a bad game in game 5. Binner has had a history of coming back strong after a defeat, and he took us to the Cup last season. Either way it was a gamble, but in that situation, I would have gone with Binner too. Not that I'm sure it would have made much difference. The team in front of the goalies in the last two games, was a far cry from the Cup winning team.

barnburner wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:46 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:41 am The Blues sure were not playing like they wanted to win this game...and starting Binnington....first bad move Berube has made.
I don't consider it a bad move. Jake had a bad game in game 5. Binner has had a history of coming back strong after a defeat, and he took us to the Cup last season. Either way it was a gamble, but in that situation, I would have gone with Binner too. Not that I'm sure it would have made much difference. The team in front of the goalies in the last two games, was a far cry from the Cup winning team.
Yeah. If you compare the rosters from Game 7 against Boston and last night there is a big drop off.

FWIW, I would have started Binnington too.

Our defense totally let us down. Faulk looked the best of all but was that because the rest were playing so bad?

Binner should of stopped those first 2 shots for sure. Opening 2 minutes, down 2-0, just a killer. His mind just wasn’t there. Maybe he has something personal going on. Confidence is everything and right now he doesn’t have it.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:07 am
Yeah. If you compare the rosters from Game 7 against Boston and last night there is a big drop off.

FWIW, I would have started Binnington too.

Our defense totally let us down. Faulk looked the best of all but was that because the rest were playing so bad?
Yeah. I’ll give him credit. I generally liked Faulka game the last 3-4 games of the series. If he can keep that level, than it’s no longer a disaster

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:46 am Binnington looked bad in the first two games....Allen did not lose anything for the team in his starts. I don't think they would have been down 4-0 after two periods if Allen gets the start. One thing about Binnington people might need to realize is that he is not magic and can't recall whatever superpower drove him last season. Binnington could be a one hit wonder.
Could be. Army and Chief have some tough decisions to make for next year.

BillP. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:16 amBinner should of stopped those first 2 shots for sure. Opening 2 minutes, down 2-0, just a killer. His mind just wasn’t there. Maybe he has something personal going on. Confidence is everything and right now he doesn’t have it.
Food for thought on Binner from this March 2020 SI story. Seems he didn't "rush back" after the COVID break, either ...
Depleted after playing into mid-June, by far the longest run of his career, Binnington didn’t even resume skating until late July. Even then, he hit the ice for three private sessions with (his off-season goalie coach Andy) Chiodo before stealing away for a week of vacation, more concerned about recovering than rushing back. “It’s about knowing yourself, understanding what you need to feel better,” he says.

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:25 pm
BillP. wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:16 amBinner should of stopped those first 2 shots for sure. Opening 2 minutes, down 2-0, just a killer. His mind just wasn’t there. Maybe he has something personal going on. Confidence is everything and right now he doesn’t have it.
Food for thought on Binner from this March 2020 SI story. Seems he didn't "rush back" after the COVID break, either ...
Depleted after playing into mid-June, by far the longest run of his career, Binnington didn’t even resume skating until late July. Even then, he hit the ice for three private sessions with (his off-season goalie coach Andy) Chiodo before stealing away for a week of vacation, more concerned about recovering than rushing back. “It’s about knowing yourself, understanding what you need to feel better,” he says.
He looked slow....which to me means he did not do any conditioning. One thing you have to consider about Binnington...he went from a guy on the cusp to a guy with his name on the Cup and millions of dollars in the bank, he is a different person than he was.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:07 pm
He looked slow....which to me means he did not do any conditioning. One thing you have to consider about Binnington...he went from a guy on the cusp to a guy with his name on the Cup and millions of dollars in the bank, he is a different person than he was.
Totally agree with you. The good news, I guess, is now he has been embarrassed and people are calling him a flash in the pan. I’m guessing that could piss him off and get the fire rekindled.

Matangama wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:23 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:07 pmHe looked slow....which to me means he did not do any conditioning. One thing you have to consider about Binnington...he went from a guy on the cusp to a guy with his name on the Cup and millions of dollars in the bank, he is a different person than he was.
Totally agree with you. The good news, I guess, is now he has been embarrassed and people are calling him a flash in the pan. I’m guessing that could piss him off and get the fire rekindled.
*OR* he takes his millions & opens a beach bar in Turks & Caicos.