Re: GDT: Game 2: St Louis Blues vs Vancouver - 5:30 - 8/14 - TV:NHL/FSMW

barnburner wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:09 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:34 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:25 pm Well we got the one Cup. Thats all most of us were asking for, right?
To be honest, I'm having a bad time getting into this whole hockey in August thing.... we're losing an American like every 80 seconds with no end in sight... empty arenas... fake crowd noise... I don't know... it's all just to weird, right now.
I pretty much agree. No matter how much I try, it's not the same thing. To be honest, at least for me, the Cup doesn't carry the same importance it held prior to the pandemic.
I agree with both of you for the most part, but I definitely am enjoying the hockey. Do I care as much about the outcome compared to a normal season? Definitely not, but still enjoying the games.....other than the Blues games, of course!

This team could come back, yet angry faces alone doesn't mean shit to me. In the offensive zone it took until the third period before the Blues play started wearing the Canucks defensive system down. They almost all night kept everything farther out or to the side, for me as a goalie that is an ideal game in net. You can still look bad on some of the plays like Markstrom did and still come out with a win.

When the Blues (in the 3rd, don't forget) decided to start hitting more and getting to the front of the net, everyone got to see why most NHL fans laugh at Nucks fans who think they're contenders. We need more of that.

Dishonorable mentions: Zack Sanford, way to try to win a fight by hitting his hands with your face...And Jordan Binnington, the most uninterested goalie I've seen in the playoffs on a break-away besides soon to be ousted Henrik Lundqvist.

Honorable mention: Perron, despite a getting a penalty by blowing on Petterson, you are the man that makes Tarasenko look like he cost a billion dollars. If the Blues lose this series we deserve to lose you to Seattle...

Cotton McKnight wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Honorable mention: Perron, despite a getting a penalty by blowing on Petterson, you are the man that makes Tarasenko look like he cost a billion dollars. If the Blues lose this series we deserve to lose you to Seattle...
Perron had a goal and an assist in a game where Tarasenko looked like he was skating on two plastic forks glued to a pair of topsiders.

BillP. wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:03 pm Both Keith Jones and Patrick Sharp said they would start Jake Allen for Game 3...........Is the Chief thinking the same?
He's GOT to do that - if nothing else than for a change in team attitude. But, Allen has been playing better than Binnington has played lately, so he deserves a chance to show what he can do, anyway. The Blues won't win unless the skaters all start playing solid early, and play consistently well all game in all 3 zones. The goaltender has not really been the problem, other than the 2 softies by Binnington. But their real problem is that they've been mainly out on the perimeter on offence, and they've been letting The Canucks skate freely all over the ice (especially close to their own goal, too much of the time. Allen could have a great game, but The Blues skaters need to play their game much more of the 60 minutes.

In game two when the Blues were behind they took control of play and tied things up....then one long pass and a breakaway later...it was over...that was the exact opposite of what happened last year. The Maroon, Thomas, Bozak line was more than the goals they scored, which were all huge...they were the line that could get the puck deep whenever the team needed relief from pressure...the Barbie, Steen, Sundqvist line was all about the pressure they put on other teams...getting the puck in the zone...big hits...knocking defenders out...and none of that play is there for them right now, it doesn't help that Binnington looks like he has been huffing chloroform.

Could they turn it around and win....sure....the odds aren't even that bad yet...but have they shown that kind of life in this series so far....no.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:07 pm In game two when the Blues were behind they took control of play and tied things up....then one long pass and a breakaway later...it was over...that was the exact opposite of what happened last year. The Maroon, Thomas, Bozak line was more than the goals they scored, which were all huge...they were the line that could get the puck deep whenever the team needed relief from pressure...the Barbie, Steen, Sundqvist line was all about the pressure they put on other teams...getting the puck in the zone...big hits...knocking defenders out...and none of that play is there for them right now, it doesn't help that Binnington looks like he has been huffing chloroform.

Could they turn it around and win....sure....the odds aren't even that bad yet...but have they shown that kind of life in this series so far....no.
I was thinking that the other day. I wonder if we miss Maroon right now. Kind of think we do.

BillP. wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:55 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:07 pm In game two when the Blues were behind they took control of play and tied things up....then one long pass and a breakaway later...it was over...that was the exact opposite of what happened last year. The Maroon, Thomas, Bozak line was more than the goals they scored, which were all huge...they were the line that could get the puck deep whenever the team needed relief from pressure...the Barbie, Steen, Sundqvist line was all about the pressure they put on other teams...getting the puck in the zone...big hits...knocking defenders out...and none of that play is there for them right now, it doesn't help that Binnington looks like he has been huffing chloroform.

I was thinking that the other day. I wonder if we miss Maroon right now. Kind of think we do.
Watching Tampa the other day and seeing Maroon was a good reminder. Very effective player when used right. When he's not, he's a liability. Last season when he started with Tarasenko and ROR... that was never going to work. Too much ice time for a guy that skates the way he does these days. But when put in the right spots where he can just control the puck along the wall in the offensive zone, thats huge this time of year. Chief figured that out, and Cooper in Tampa has as well.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:25 pm
BillP. wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Watching Tampa the other day and seeing Maroon was a good reminder. Very effective player when used right. When he's not, he's a liability. Last season when he started with Tarasenko and ROR... that was never going to work. Too much ice time for a guy that skates the way he does these days. But when put in the right spots where he can just control the puck along the wall in the offensive zone, thats huge this time of year. Chief figured that out, and Cooper in Tampa has as well.
That was the perfect job for him and why he was a great fit with Thomas and Bozak. Having a line like that is as good as a guy good at winning faceoffs...you can control possession and create space for your skilled players. The chemistry isn't working out with the current line-up....add in that Tarasenko is skating like he is having a massive hemorrhoid flare up.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:29 pm

That was the perfect job for him and why he was a great fit with Thomas and Bozak. Having a line like that is as good as a guy good at winning faceoffs...you can control possession and create space for your skilled players. The chemistry isn't working out with the current line-up....add in that Tarasenko is skating like he is having a massive hemorrhoid flare up.
The bolded part is big. So far, this "post sesason" I'm not sure we've had the same lineup two games in a row. We won't have our top lineup until Barbi gets back in the lineup. I just hope that's in a few days and not when they modified 2020/2021 season starts in late Nov or early Dec (don't remember which it is).
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:27 pm There is no game day thread for the game today....that is how little faith fans have
Maybe someone's crystal ball showed them a few OT in the Stars/Flames game and then maybe some OT in the Chicago/VGK game and the Blues get bumped and do their St Louis Cards imitation and play a double header tomorrow. 8-)
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

stlblues1226 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:23 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:27 pm There is no game day thread for the game today....that is how little faith fans have
Maybe someone's crystal ball showed them a few OT in the Stars/Flames game and then maybe some OT in the Chicago/VGK game and the Blues get bumped and do their St Louis Cards imitation and play a double header tomorrow. 8-)
You GOON!!!!

In all seriousness, why the hell are they trying to play 3 games on a Sunday and still have back to back games? It's not because of building availability, that's for damn sure. In this round, 2 games a day, each team playing every other day. There is absolutely NO reason for this shit. But, if you're going to play 3 games on a Sunday, why not an 11:00am, 3:30pm, and 8:00pm?

Just bullshit as far as I'm concerned. Nothing gained by forcing three games in one day.

stlblues1226 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:41 pmIn all seriousness, why the hell are they trying to play 3 games on a Sunday and still have back to back games? It's not because of building availability, that's for damn sure. In this round, 2 games a day, each team playing every other day. There is absolutely NO reason for this shit. But, if you're going to play 3 games on a Sunday, why not an 11:00am, 3:30pm, and 8:00pm?

Just bullshit as far as I'm concerned. Nothing gained by forcing three games in one day.
It might make some sense to you if you were privy to the negotiations between the NHL & the TV networks, where the League was trying to avoid a financial bloodbath.

JMC-STL wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:39 pm
stlblues1226 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:41 pmIn all seriousness, why the hell are they trying to play 3 games on a Sunday and still have back to back games? It's not because of building availability, that's for damn sure. In this round, 2 games a day, each team playing every other day. There is absolutely NO reason for this shit. But, if you're going to play 3 games on a Sunday, why not an 11:00am, 3:30pm, and 8:00pm?

It might make some sense to you if you were privy to the negotiations between the NHL & the TV networks, where the League was trying to avoid a financial bloodbath.
If you're correct JMC, I hope the Stanley Cup Final is Arizona and Columbus. That'll teach them to try and screw with shit that the really shouldn't. Seriously, wouldn't the NHL and NBC shit the bed if that were the case.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:33 pm
Cotton McKnight wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Perron had a goal and an assist in a game where Tarasenko looked like he was skating on two plastic forks glued to a pair of topsiders.
Vova's compete level needs an improvement.