Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:40 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:14 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 am

We already have Minnesota in the division to provide forgettable match-ups 7 times a year.
Blues and North Stars was always great shit. It's the fuck'n name WILD that kills the whole rivalry aspect. Such a terrible name. It's a WNBA name.
The name sucks, for sure, but that's not the boring part. There are lots of boring names in the league. They have good players but no stars (pun always intended). They never play exciting hockey stylistically. They're never particularly good or bad. They're basically the Blues during the 25 year playoff run without the Hall of Famers (long term or cameo), or exciting characters. They're the NHL's version of plain toast, no jelly, no butter. Sure I'll eat it, but the whole time I'm just going to be wishing I had something else instead.
This was a very good, cleverly written, entertaining post. Just sayin.........

Cotton McKnight wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:16 am

I was pretty surprised they found new owners to keep them in PHX at that point.
We already have Minnesota in the division to provide forgettable match-ups 7 times a year.
Blues and North Stars was always great shit. It's the fuck'n name WILD that kills the whole rivalry aspect. Such a terrible name. It's a WNBA name.
Blues and Stars is a great rivalry that still exists. I hate that fucking team.

The Wild are as dull as dishwater.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:18 pm I loved the North Stars...great name, logo and colors. I absolutely hate the Wild and will never forgive them for not going with Minnesota Northern Lights which was one of the final options. I wanted that name so damn bad and they went with the goddamn Wild. I hate them forever and hope they never win a Stanley Cup.
You're kidding? Northern Lights was in contention and they didn't go with that. Holy Shit! Who the fuck made that decision? How stupid can you be?

I did hear once, and only once, that Dallas was going to be called the Lone Stars, and I think that would of been great and better than just going with Stars.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"
Attachments

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:59 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:18 pm I loved the North Stars...great name, logo and colors. I absolutely hate the Wild and will never forgive them for not going with Minnesota Northern Lights which was one of the final options. I wanted that name so damn bad and they went with the goddamn Wild. I hate them forever and hope they never win a Stanley Cup.
You're kidding? Northern Lights was in contention and they didn't go with that. Holy Shit! Who the fuck made that decision? How stupid can you be?

I did hear once, and only once, that Dallas was going to be called the Lone Stars, and I think that would of been great and better than just going with Stars.
Damn, that would of been like never really losing the North Stars. That would of been a great save and they blew it. I'm surprised Lou Nanne didn't have a voice in that because I know he was trying to bring North Stars back. Now I'm like you, I'm really pissed. Thanks for the picture, I never saw that or knew about the name proposal. Thanks!

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Blues and Stars is a great rivalry that still exists. I hate that fucking team.

The Wild are as dull as dishwater.
I'm pretty sure most Wild fans would welcome a re-branding with open arms. They lose their shit, rightfully so, whenever they get to wear North Stars throwback gear.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I pointed this out to Mattyice here at work and he thought it would of been amazing. He pointed out that it was Viking colors too, which didn't cross my mind. Total fuck up

BillP. wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:47 pm

I pointed this out to Mattyice here at work and he thought it would of been amazing. He pointed out that it was Viking colors too, which didn't cross my mind. Total fuck up
I should point out that was just a what if rendering ...some guy did what if logos for the six finalist names.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:48 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:24 pm Not crazy about Northern Lights, but I get it. Wild and Kraken should be fierce rivals in the SPHL.
I have it on good authority that the Southern Professional Hockey League has no near-term plans to expand further north than their current presence in Moline, IL, nor certainly to the PacNW. :?
South is a relative term. Give it time.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:19 pm I didn't watch any of the games, did they do the fake crowd noise? I've enjoyed it in the other sports but hockey is one where I honestly love just the sounds of the game and would prefer no fake crowd noise.
I had the first game on in the background, wasn't watching closely. They did fake noise, but I didn't notice to be honest. It wasn't enough to drown out the on ice noises. Rink looked pretty cool too. Looking forward to the games that count.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:11 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:48 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:24 pmNot crazy about Northern Lights, but I get it. Wild and Kraken should be fierce rivals in the SPHL.
I have it on good authority that the Southern Professional Hockey League has no near-term plans to expand further north than their current presence in Moline, IL, nor certainly to the PacNW. :?
South is a relative term. Give it time.
You're right. As soon as we get that looming polar reversal, all bets are off.

Can we talk about this clip for a sec?

Damn have I missed highlights like this.
-Casual otherworldly burst of speed
-Protects puck on backhand as poor sap defenseman makes desperate diving pokecheck attempt
-Quickly identifies that other D has taken away his passing option.
-Stops quickly before goalie can go down taking away any shooting areas
-No look 5-hole snipe.

I think Connor McDavid might be pretty good you guys.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:19 pm I didn't watch any of the games, did they do the fake crowd noise? I've enjoyed it in the other sports but hockey is one where I honestly love just the sounds of the game and would prefer no fake crowd noise.
As a fan, I find the fake crowd noise, and the fake crowd images to be both irritating, and insulting. The decision was made, wisely,to play without fans. Play the game as is. Hockey fans don't need a bunch of fake bs to appreciate the game.
Jmo

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:03 am Can we talk about this clip for a sec?

-Protects puck on backhand as poor sap defenseman makes desperate diving pokecheck attempt
-No look 5-hole snipe.

Hanifin really half assed it on that play but there is no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the world . Nate Mack is a distant second and that’s what’s really crazy considering how great a player that he is.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:49 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:03 am Can we talk about this clip for a sec?

-No look 5-hole snipe.

Hanifin really half assed it on that play but there is no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the world . Nate Mack is a distant second and that’s what’s really crazy considering how great a player that he is.
Those guys are definitely numbers 1 and 2 in "guys I would build a franchise around", but I might still take Crosby in a "who do you pick first for a playoff run" scenario. I think Crosby is going to be out of his mind in a good way inside the bubble.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:49 am

-No look 5-hole snipe.

I don’t know if I’d say Mac is distant. If Mac keeps that passion, he’s close.

barnburner wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 am
As a fan, I find the fake crowd noise, and the fake crowd images to be both irritating, and insulting. The decision was made, wisely,to play without fans. Play the game as is. Hockey fans don't need a bunch of fake bs to appreciate the game.
Jmo
100%

T.C. wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 am
barnburner wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 am
Jmo
100%
Other than for little kids watching I totally agree.