Re: Seattle Team Name Announcement

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:14 am It's official:

My thoughts summed up:

I think the logo is pretty cool, but the team name is going to age poorly. I like everything besides the name, which is a pretty important part of team identity in my estimation.
What about Kraken won't age well? Do you think people will sour on giant monsters because Lovecraft was a racist?
What does a Kraken have to do with Seattle. As far as I know there have been 0 kraken sightings ever recorded in Seattle. Now do you have to have a tie in with the city? No, I don't believe LA has ever had a King, but at least that's a real thing that exists. To me Kraken is the equivalent of swapping an s for a z at the end of a word to make it seem XTREME!! But I do like the rum. Now excuse me while I go shake my fist at a cloud.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:24 pm... I don't believe LA has ever had a King, but at least that's a real thing that exists. ...
You slept through History class, didn't you? Charles III was the King of Spain in 1781, when the settlement of El Pueblo Sobre el Rio de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula was established within the colony of Spanish California.

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:42 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:24 pm... I don't believe LA has ever had a King, but at least that's a real thing that exists. ...
You slept through History class, didn't you? Charles III was the King of Spain in 1781, when the settlement of El Pueblo Sobre el Rio de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula was established within the colony of Spanish California.
To be fair I slept through every class at least once a semester. Anyway another mark on the side of Kraken being a stupid name.

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:14 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:14 amIt's official:

My thoughts summed up:

I think the logo is pretty cool, but the team name is going to age poorly. I like everything besides the name, which is a pretty important part of team identity in my estimation.
What about Kraken won't age well? Do you think people will sour on giant monsters because Lovecraft was a racist?
Cthulhu attended weekend Klan cookouts.

Me and Mattyice at work were just Kraken the jokes about how bad that name is. Not crazy about the logo either. Jersey color/scheme was the only thing they got right.

Big whiff IMO, and you can add this to Nashville fucking it up when they chose Predators and Minnesota picking the Wild. Just bad. Bad, bad, bad.

My thoughts summed up:

After about 8 hours or so of hearing it, I tend to agree about it not aging well. Sounds cool when you first hear it and then it just seems dumb. It has no connection to Seattle whatsoever.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:29 pm

My thoughts summed up:

After about 8 hours or so of hearing it, I tend to agree about it not aging well. Sounds cool when you first hear it and then it just seems dumb. It has no connection to Seattle whatsoever.
How do you shorten that name into some cool street lingo... The Krak? ... The Squid? ... Should Mike Camillari get a PTO?

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 pm
BluesSK wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:29 pm

My thoughts summed up:

How do you shorten that name into some cool street lingo... The Krak? ... The Squid? ... Should Mike Camillari get a PTO?
LOL Mike Calimari.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:17 pm Me and Mattyice at work were just Kraken the jokes about how bad that name is. Not crazy about the logo either. Jersey color/scheme was the only thing they got right.

Big whiff IMO, and you can add this to Nashville fucking it up when they chose Predators and Minnesota picking the Wild. Just bad. Bad, bad, bad.
Green and gold should have been their colors....too many dark shades in the NHL already.

lovecraft did not invent the cracken. and leave crowley out of this entirely.

best name they could have chosen. brings a little WWE to the NHL, naming your team after a mythical beast. given what VGK did to their arena and games with the knight motif, i expect seattle to go beyond that embracing the giant sea monster thing. i expect lots of clash of the titans quotes spewing from their over-loud soundsystem. i expect scenes of krakens destroying boats, cities, and humans alike playing on their giant screens. and i expect their team posturing to embrace it.

The Seattle Times did a reader poll for team names and set it up NCAA bracket style. Sockeyes won the poll. Kraken was eliminated in the first round. FYI, in case you forgot, Jerry Bruckheimer is one of the team's minority owners. Among the movies he's produced are the Pirates of the Caribbean series, which features the "Release the Kraken" quote you're sure to hear 30 times at every Seattle game.