Re: Roenick suing NBC for Anti straight discrimination.

So just my two cents here. Roenick made a stupid mistake that gave NBC a perfectly valid reason to fire him. Roenick knew the podcast was extremely popular and would reach a wide audience, this isn't like the Senators players getting filmed secretly by their Uber driver. So since he's committed a fire-able offense (in my opinion) NBC could choose to exercise that right or not. Obviously they chose to fire him. Was it because he was a straight white male? Was it because he wanted to publicly support Trump? We'll never know, but it is my strong feeling that it was not. Rather, it was because he was bad at his job, and keeping him on wasn't worth his salary, arguably before the comments, and certainly afterwards. Just smart business. I stated earlier that I think the Johnny Weir stuff is far from an apples to apples comparison, but let's suppose for a moment that they were. NBC would then have the option of justifiably firing him or not. In my opinion, NBC would be justified if they went either way. They could fire him for committing a fire-able offense (hypothetically), or keep him on, because he's good at his job, very popular and probably worth his salary from a business perspective with or without those comments (which again, nobody had even heard until Roenick's lawyer brought them up).

To me this was never primarily about politics. It was about what was best for NBC's bottom line. Canning Roenick was the smart thing to do for their bottom line. My take on this isn't colored by his time with the Hawks. Hell I think he's a borderline HOFer, and would put him in ahead of most of the former Blues that are somewhere on the bubble (Tkachuk, Turgeon etc). Roenick's lawsuit is trying to make his firing about something it never was. Frankly I think this is a really move on his part. I think he'd be better off laying low for a while, then trying to latch on to NHL Network, ESPN or whoever else gets a piece of the US TV rights next negotiation.

Anyway that's all. I didn't post that to change any minds, just to get it out there. I'll go back to on ice topics now (I said that before and couldn't stick to it, so we'll see).
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:13 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 am

Jokingly things are generally supposed to be funny and not about banging your coworkers on a popular podcast. If that's all the material he has and thinks is appropriate, he shouldn't have a job with a mic anyway. It's not about angering people, it's about being held accountable for your actions.

Tappan could have easily come out and said, "JR and I are friends and I didn't take offense to his comments and I know his sense of humor and joking manner in private conversations outside of work. We make similar jokes back and forth all the time"

But she didn't. Consequences of actions.
Roenick has never said anything like that when working . He’s always been professional. He made a mistake on a podcast , he wasn’t thinking anything of the sort of it being offensive because that wasn’t his intent. He was just trying to be a funny guest on a freaking podcast. Live and learn but unfortunately we live in a cancel culture society.
Tappen was totally controlled by NBC In how she was told to handle it.
Your entire point and reply is based 100% off assumptions. Every part of it.

We don't know how he was in the work place
We don't know what he was thinking or not thinking
We don't know what NBC told Tappen to say or not say

What we do know is what he said
What we do know is what she said

So we can deal with assumptions or we can deal with facts. Generally in a lawsuit, the facts are what will matter.

Edit: That podcast has had countless guest over the years and never has a guest had the issues with being funny on the show like JR did.
You’d have to be an idiot to think NBC didn’t have a say in how she reacted . Roenick and his wife were close friends of theirs. The last thing she wanted was JR to be fired but NBC told her differently.
I could care less what JR says when he’s not on the air. Not once was ever inappropriate when he was working for NBC. There was nothing wrong with JR in the workplace. He’s nothing more than a victim of cancel culture and I hope sticks his foot up NBC’s ass big time because they fucking deserve it.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:58 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Roenick has never said anything like that when working . He’s always been professional. He made a mistake on a podcast , he wasn’t thinking anything of the sort of it being offensive because that wasn’t his intent. He was just trying to be a funny guest on a freaking podcast. Live and learn but unfortunately we live in a cancel culture society.
Tappen was totally controlled by NBC In how she was told to handle it.

So we can deal with assumptions or we can deal with facts. Generally in a lawsuit, the facts are what will matter.

Edit: That podcast has had countless guest over the years and never has a guest had the issues with being funny on the show like JR did.
You’d have to be an idiot to think NBC didn’t have a say in how she reacted . Roenick and his wife were close friends of theirs. The last thing she wanted was JR to be fired but NBC told her differently.
I could care less what JR says when he’s not on the air. Not once was ever inappropriate when he was working for NBC. There was nothing wrong with JR in the workplace. He’s nothing more than a victim of cancel culture and I hope sticks his foot up NBC’s ass big time because they fucking deserve it.
You literally don't know this at all but are saying it as a statement of fact. This won't help him in court one bit to stick it to NBC as is your goal.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:02 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:58 pm

You literally don't know this at all but are saying it as a statement of fact. This won't help him in court one bit to stick it to NBC as is your goal.
That’s not part of the lawsuit anyway. That was in response to Cotton McKnight saying she was offended or whatever. I don’t believe she was offended by any of it. I doubt Sharp was offended either.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:11 am
Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 pm Much like the ideological inconsistencies of many decades of white over-privileged men...
i was going to respond to your comments, but you started with this neon sign that we are incapable of having an actual conversation about this. so, welcome back i guess?
Where does it state we are incapable of having an actual conversation about this?
T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:26 am i wasn't implying anything - i said what i meant. if adults want to continue to have a discussion about a specific man (roenick) and specific, related incidents, please do. otherwise, this thread will be locked.
What do you mean adults, sounds like a bunch of boys being boys while defending a boy who showed his ass.

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:19 am
T.C. wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:31 am i was very confused by this thread initially. "roenick sues NBC", i thought - great! he was fired for a bullshit reason. but then "for anti-straight discrimination" - this sounds like entirely the wrong reason. he would never win that, especially considering he made jokes about tappen and sharp in the same segment for which he was fired. but then i read the article, which it sounds like some of you haven't:
Roenick’s lawsuit states that figure skating commentator Johnny Weir made “colorful commentary” about skaters’ body parts for NBC Sports during the 2018 Winter Olympics, and when Roenick asked his supervisor about that, the supervisor responded that Weir “is gay and can say whatever.” Roenick’s suit also points to a promotional video featuring Weir and on-air partner Tara Lipinski that included vulgar language; Weir and Lipinski were not suspended or fired.

Roenick also claims that he was fired because the network was retaliating against him for his support of President Donald Trump. When he asked for permission to speak at the 2016 Republican National Convention, he alleges he was told: “You know who you work for. You work for NBC. That would not look good on your NBC record.”
he's absolutely right in that first paragraph, and if the second paragraph is true, that's incredibly sad and he absolutely has cause to do this. good for him. i hope he wins and the award fucking hurts NBC.
Exactly...he’s got a helluva case. I love it because he’s taking a stand at all this bullshit that’s going on.
I dont agree with what he said, but if one wants equality, expect in all aspects of life.

ratonmono wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:59 pm
ratonmono wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 pm Are we really sure JR did his homework? Dude's a moron.
What makes him a moron? Because he played for the Blackhawks? Was he the best in studio analyst...no but he did it for a long time. He was better than many others that’s for sure.
I’ve listened to him talk observed his actions and that’s my assessment. I mean he picked up a rattlesnake for no good reason showing zero respect for a highly dangerous animal, also trying to grapple alligators on a golf course. He’s a classic Peter Pan douche who luckily for him has avoided the worst consequences for some incredibly irresponsible actions. He ran his mouth one too many times and it finally bit him. I feel zero sympathy for the man. Clearly he’s not the brightest bulb and his analysis was always terrible on top of everything. Ultimately this silly lawsuit will settle out of court and JR can start a podcast where he can be himself and say whatever he wants.
You sure this was JR and not Steve Irwin?
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou