Re: Multiple Blues players test positive for Covid

MissouriMook wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:21 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:29 am
NHLTIM wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:38 am What do we think the odds are the NHL is going to announce the cancellation of the season now? Target date was supposed Aug 1st and there has been no formal announcement. Phase 3 which was actual camp has to be in serious jeopardy now. Have to think some players are going to opt out and if that starts happening then they might as well shut it down.
I think it comes down to how much money they would lose in their TV contract for not providing a cup playoff.

Dream scenery, cancel this season, all remaining teams have an equal chance for the #1 pick, Blues win it. Imagine.
The league has already announced that the bottom 4 seeds from each conference will have an equal chance at the #1 pick. The top 16 teams will seed based on regular season winning percentage for picks 16-31.
No playoffs, every team should have a chance at the lottery
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:40 am

I think it comes down to how much money they would lose in their TV contract for not providing a cup playoff.

Dream scenery, cancel this season, all remaining teams have an equal chance for the #1 pick, Blues win it. Imagine.
The league has already announced that the bottom 4 seeds from each conference will have an equal chance at the #1 pick. The top 16 teams will seed based on regular season winning percentage for picks 16-31.
It would be nice, but sadly no dice. Probably a good thing since I'd imagine that top pick would manage to find is way to an already scary team like Colorado.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Players being dumbasses about this has always been the biggest risk of bursting the bubble. Hopefully this is a lesson learned early enough that they get the message. I do have the say, it's odd that the NHL seems a bit more on top of the testing than the MLB. A few teams have cancelled workouts not due to positive tests, but because they can't get their test results. One team, I think Oakland, couldn't even get the testers to show up. It's amazing how big of a joke that league has looked like for almost 4 months straight now.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:07 am Players being dumbasses about this has always been the biggest risk of bursting the bubble. Hopefully this is a lesson learned early enough that they get the message. I do have the say, it's odd that the NHL seems a bit more on top of the testing than the MLB. A few teams have cancelled workouts not due to positive tests, but because they can't get their test results. One team, I think Oakland, couldn't even get the testers to show up. It's amazing how big of a joke that league has looked like for almost 4 months straight now.
Let's face it. The will to play isn't there for established players who face the prospect of being separated from family, their homes and all the comforts that go with it, all while the possibility of a potentially fatal disease is hanging over their heads.

I don't blame them.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:07 am Players being dumbasses about this has always been the biggest risk of bursting the bubble. Hopefully this is a lesson learned early enough that they get the message. I do have the say, it's odd that the NHL seems a bit more on top of the testing than the MLB. A few teams have cancelled workouts not due to positive tests, but because they can't get their test results. One team, I think Oakland, couldn't even get the testers to show up. It's amazing how big of a joke that league has looked like for almost 4 months straight now.
Let's face it. The will to play isn't there for established players who face the prospect of being separated from family, their homes and all the comforts that go with it, all while the possibility of a potentially fatal disease is hanging over their heads.

I don't blame them.
The players you describe I think are more likely to opt out than to go to the high risk areas and expose the team. Though I haven't heard of any NHL players opting out yet, I don't know that it was even necessary until they ironed out this official return to play agreement they were working on over the weekend. We'll probably see a few names over the next week or so. I think it's the younger guys that are more likely to head out to the clubs/bars and potentially get exposed there. To be honest, while there's a group of guys that went to a bar last week, we don't know that that's where they contracted the virus, and we never will.

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:51 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:14 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:38 pm

We can’t run and hide forever
Ok. But who are you debating that with because I've never seen that point made?

Are the Blues players supposed to just play on?
If the goal is to play the rest of this season out then yes, they just need to play. If we stay this same course, everything will be on lockdown forever.
Tons of people out there walking around infected and don’t know it. Life has to go on.
Speaking on behalf of old bastards like myself - Wear your mask . I'm not quite ready to check out yet.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:40 am

Detroit fans cries themselves to sleep in that scenario. (I love it)