Re: News and Games around the NHL

BillP. wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:48 pm Wow, the Perry Turnbull pick just looks worse and worse don’t it? Ha

Edmonton and Washington came out like bandits in this.

79 was one of the strongest drafts ever. Turnbull was an absolute beast of a player coming out of junior. He was still a good pick and gave the Blues some good years. Our scouting staff wasn’t real good back then either.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 pm I wonder if there will be any pending free agents that will just decide to skip this tournament to not risk injury heading into a new contract? Especially guys on teams that honestly have no chance to win.
Like someone said here at work, they shouldn't even play this tournament to declare a SC Champion. If they're going to be quarantining players during the process then fuck it. If you want a tournament then call it something else, but it shouldn't be for the Stanley Cup.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:50 am
ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 am https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... ed-lawsuit

What the fuck?
Just horrible stuff. I don't know if they can prove that this stuff happened, but I don't have a problem believing it given the "boys will be boys!" culture in hockey and sports in general in years past. Regardless of what happens with this lawsuit you hope that this helps stop this kind of stuff from happening in the future since you know its going on in some fashion to this day.

I don't know if this is in the article because I didn't read the whole thing it was so bad, but I was listening to a podcast this morning and apparently coaches would walk in on the shit and laugh about it. And there were coaches that were in on it. WTF..............and on the podcast I heard even more disturbing shit. Like the guy said on the podcast, I want names. That's fucked up.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:54 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 pm I wonder if there will be any pending free agents that will just decide to skip this tournament to not risk injury heading into a new contract? Especially guys on teams that honestly have no chance to win.
Like someone said here at work, they shouldn't even play this tournament to declare a SC Champion. If they're going to be quarantining players during the process then fuck it. If you want a tournament then call it something else, but it shouldn't be for the Stanley Cup.
Why does quarantining players discredit the win? Having the playoffs 5 months after the last regular season game might discredit it, sure, but quarantining players doesn't really register as a shot at the integrity of the Cup to me. A normal playoff is a tournament too after all.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:57 am
ratonmono wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 am https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... ed-lawsuit

What the fuck?
Just horrible stuff. I don't know if they can prove that this stuff happened, but I don't have a problem believing it given the "boys will be boys!" culture in hockey and sports in general in years past. Regardless of what happens with this lawsuit you hope that this helps stop this kind of stuff from happening in the future since you know its going on in some fashion to this day.

I don't know if this is in the article because I didn't read the whole thing it was so bad, but I was listening to a podcast this morning and apparently coaches would walk in on the shit and laugh about it. And there were coaches that were in on it. WTF..............and on the podcast I heard even more disturbing shit. Like the guy said on the podcast, I want names. That's fucked up.
There are some names in the article, including the name of the coach they apparently discussed on that podcast.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:38 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:57 am

There are some names in the article, including the name of the coach they apparently discussed on that podcast.
Good. That needs to be addressed and cleaned up. Total garbage

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:27 am Fucking no....Rutherford is such a GOD damn jock sniffer

You can't be in the Hall of Fame and have the kind of shit numbers in the playoffs Big Wallet has

Everybody on the panel had to nominate somebody. I don't think he should get in, but having him in the top 18 is appropriate. And spoiler alert for those that haven't read the (very good) article, Tkachuk didn't make it and JR didn't even vote for him.

https://theathletic.com/1885501/2020/06 ... -happened/

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:27 am Fucking no....Rutherford is such a GOD damn jock sniffer

You can't be in the Hall of Fame and have the kind of shit numbers in the playoffs Big Wallet has

Everybody on the panel had to nominate somebody. I don't think he should get in, but having him in the top 18 is appropriate. And spoiler alert for those that haven't read the (very good) article, Tkachuk didn't make it and JR didn't even vote for him.

Click baiting your own crappy articles....where did he learn that...oh yeah...when he had a fake account at the StlToday Blues forum.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 am

Click baiting your own crappy articles....where did he learn that...oh yeah...when he had a fake account at the StlToday Blues forum.
So I don't think this is what you were saying, but wasn't sure so I will clarify...I am not Jeremy Rutherford, haha. I think JR is fine as a beat writer. I think he probably does kiss former Blues players asses a bit much, but whatever.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:40 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 am

So I don't think this is what you were saying, but wasn't sure so I will clarify...I am not Jeremy Rutherford, haha. I think JR is fine as a beat writer. I think he probably does kiss former Blues players asses a bit much, but whatever.
I didn't mean you. I meant him. JR would scrap skid marks out of an athletes uniform and smoke it like a dab.

Since it's Hall of Fame day, here's a Wyshinski article about HOF candidates for each team, current or retired. It's a little weird which team some players are associated with (5 Schrute Bucks if you remember Patrick Marleau's current team), but it makes sense logically from that perspective. Anyway, it's a fun article to browse through.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/293 ... -nhl-teams

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am
BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:57 am Posted on HF Boards yesterday so I'm assuming this is recent. Hawk logo in target practice.

Capture.PNG
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't put a target in the middle of the goalie's chest. ;)
It's all fun & games, until somebody loses a nipple. :(
I lost a nipple once, but then I found a quarter so I was happy again.

Wait...

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 am
BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:57 am Posted on HF Boards yesterday so I'm assuming this is recent. Hawk logo in target practice.

Capture.PNG
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't put a target in the middle of the goalie's chest. ;)
Yeah, you're right - ha................maybe they're practicing empty netters..................wasn't there a time when the Blues kept missing the empty net? Recent too...........

I liked Thorburn, wish he had more of a hand in the SC Championship. There was a post game video after a win in Winnipeg on the NHL.com app and it was specifically for Thorburn and showing him walking into the dressing room with a big smile on his face, had a suit on with that pony tail and he was giving high fives all around the dressing room. That was one of the coolest things of the post season IMO. And if anyone can dig up that video, I'd like to see it again. I've tried finding it but it's like it disappeared. Weird.

Chris Thorburn retired from the NHL on Monday after 14 seasons.

The forward, who turned 37 on June 3, did not play in the NHL this season, and played one game with the St. Louis Blues in 2018-19. He was recalled during their run to the Stanley Cup but did not play in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"To finish my hockey career with the St. Louis Blues and finally get an opportunity to lift the Stanley Cup over my head, I could not have scripted a better way to go out," Thorburn said in a statement. "Thank you to (general manager) Doug Armstrong and (owner) Tom Stillman, as well as (coach) Craig Berube, the coaching staff and the training staff. Most importantly, thank you to my Blues teammates for taking me on a journey of a lifetime."

After playing 1:52 with the Blues against the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 13, 2018, Thorburn was sent to San Antonio of the American Hockey League, where he played for the remainder of the season. He was recalled by the Blues prior to the playoffs last season, remained with them for the duration and celebrated with them on the ice after they defeated the Boston Bruins in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Selected by the Buffalo Sabres in the second round (No. 50) of the 2001 NHL Draft, Thorburn scored 134 points (53 goals, 81 assists) and had 968 penalty minutes in 801 regular-season games with the Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins, Atlanta Thashers, Winnipeg Jets and Blues. He did not have a point in four playoff games for the Jets in 2014-15.

"It was an unbelievable ride with a storybook ending," Thorburn said. "As tough as it is to close this chapter, I am excited for the new adventures ahead for myself and my family."