Re: News and Games around the NHL

Chris Wideman signs a 1 year deal with KHL club in Moscow. Kind of figured that eventually he would end up playing overseas. But who knows, maybe he'll have a big year over there and get a shot back in the states...............I love how everyone calls the KHL the 2nd best league in the world, which is what Wideman referred to it as, but that's bull shit IMO. The 2nd best league is still the AHL.................anyone remember former Blues defenseman Kevin Dallman? Couldn't stick it in the NHL but when he went to Russia he set some scoring records over there I believe. Had some big years.................you can't tell me the KHL is the 2nd best league in the world when a guy like him goes over there and sets some records. Or when a guy like Jaskin leads the league in scoring. Give me a break.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:59 am Chris Wideman signs a 1 year deal with KHL club in Moscow. Kind of figured that eventually he would end up playing overseas. But who knows, maybe he'll have a big year over there and get a shot back in the states...............I love how everyone calls the KHL the 2nd best league in the world, which is what Wideman referred to it as, but that's bull shit IMO. The 2nd best league is still the AHL.................anyone remember former Blues defenseman Kevin Dallman? Couldn't stick it in the NHL but when he went to Russia he set some scoring records over there I believe. Had some big years.................you can't tell me the KHL is the 2nd best league in the world when a guy like him goes over there and sets some records. Or when a guy like Jaskin leads the league in scoring. Give me a break.
I think at one time the KHL was the second best league in the world, but that's been at least a decade ago. The AHL now has a lot of guys who could be marginal NHLers and some young future good NHLers playing in its ranks.

ratonmono wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:59 am Chris Wideman signs a 1 year deal with KHL club in Moscow. Kind of figured that eventually he would end up playing overseas. But who knows, maybe he'll have a big year over there and get a shot back in the states...............I love how everyone calls the KHL the 2nd best league in the world, which is what Wideman referred to it as, but that's bull shit IMO. The 2nd best league is still the AHL.................anyone remember former Blues defenseman Kevin Dallman? Couldn't stick it in the NHL but when he went to Russia he set some scoring records over there I believe. Had some big years.................you can't tell me the KHL is the 2nd best league in the world when a guy like him goes over there and sets some records. Or when a guy like Jaskin leads the league in scoring. Give me a break.
I think at one time the KHL was the second best league in the world, but that's been at least a decade ago. The AHL now has a lot of guys who could be marginal NHLers and some young future good NHLers playing in its ranks.
Nah, it was about a decade ago that Dallman was tearing up the Russian League. He couldn't do that in the AHL. I'm not even sure if Russia is the best Euro league anymore. I guess it is, but Sweden is pretty good and Germany is making strides.

Can somebody with an Athletic subscription comment on the story that the NHL has had discussions about moving their season permanently to A January September time frame? Apparently several owners are on board. I believe it was an Athletic article
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:07 am Can somebody with an Athletic subscription comment on the story that the NHL has had discussions about moving their season permanently to A January September time frame? Apparently several owners are on board. I believe it was an Athletic article
Blues and Cards competing against each other during summer? Can't believe Blues would be on board with this.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:11 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:07 am Can somebody with an Athletic subscription comment on the story that the NHL has had discussions about moving their season permanently to A January September time frame? Apparently several owners are on board. I believe it was an Athletic article
Blues and Cards competing against each other during summer? Can't believe Blues would be on board with this.
I agree with you. It's a terrible idea.

Cliff notes from Mirtle's article:
-Next season likely to start with Winter Classic 1/1 (far from a sure thing, but there's smoke), Cup handed out in August.
-Key benefit of this timing is odds greatly increase that there could be some fans in the stands for start of regular season.
-Would have to start the following season (2021-22) in November at earliest to have reasonable offseason.
-Most competition for sports viewership in October, least competition from February-September
-Avoiding busier times of year would increase the value of NHL broadcast rights

My notes:
-I highly doubt they push back the season to start in February, but I'd also be shocked if we see another NHL regular season game in October.
-Subscribe to the Athletic if you can afford it, it's well worth it.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:50 pm
-Next season likely to start with Winter Classic 1/1 (far from a sure thing, but there's smoke), Cup handed out in August.
-Key benefit of this timing is odds greatly increase that there could be some fans in the stands for start of regular season.
-Would have to start the following season (2021-22) in November at earliest to have reasonable offseason.
-Most competition for sports viewership in October, least competition from February-September

My notes:
-I highly doubt they push back the season to start in February, but I'd also be shocked if we see another NHL regular season game in October.
So when you say November, is that training camp opening in November or the Regular Season starts in November? So if it starts in November, playoffs would start up end of April or early May? And this would be the new calendar?

BillP. wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:50 pm

My notes:
So when you say November, is that training camp opening in November or the Regular Season starts in November? So if it starts in November, playoffs would start up end of April or early May? And this would be the new calendar?
I don't recall if it was camp vs regular season, but probably both since you don't need that long for camp. This would be the earliest you could start 21-22 season if the 20-21 season starts in January. No indication if that's what they'd actually do or if they'd wait longer. All speculation at this point.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:55 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:06 pm Blowing it all up

Instead of shuffle off to Buffalo it's shuffle out of Buffalo. Right now they're the new Edmonton.
The Pegulas were just pissed Melnyck has been getting all the crappy owner press lately. They've got a lot of catching up to do, but I'm confident they can get a firm grasp of the number 2 slot.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 am It really is unfortunate because Buffalo is one of the better hockey seasons out there but looking at their attendance the last 3 seasons, they are getting frustrated, rightfully so.

99.8% to capacity
93%
90%
For all the talk about how the Oilers are wasting McDavid's prime, what the Sabres have done with Eichel is probably worse. If they can find a reasonable goalie (sorry Carter Hutton, still heart you though), that will help a great deal. Then again, their D is such a mess that can any goalie look alright behind them? Good luck to Kevyn Adams.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:45 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 am It really is unfortunate because Buffalo is one of the better hockey seasons out there but looking at their attendance the last 3 seasons, they are getting frustrated, rightfully so.

99.8% to capacity
93%
90%
For all the talk about how the Oilers are wasting McDavid's prime, what the Sabres have done with Eichel is probably worse. If they can find a reasonable goalie (sorry Carter Hutton, still heart you though), that will help a great deal. Then again, their D is such a mess that can any goalie look alright behind them? Good luck to Kevyn Adams.
Looks like they canned most of their amateur scouting staff as well...perfect timing with the draft coming up!
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"