Re: News and Games around the NHL

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:25 pm If you're dying to watch some NHL content, this is a pretty interesting video. Its about all the trades and things that happened around the Chris Pronger Edmonton to Anaheim deal panned out. Also, apparently the Leafs were involved in trying to get Pronger from Edmonton, but refused to give up Alex Steen as a piece of the deal. Which makes the Leafs look all the more dumb for eventually trading Steen and Colaiacovo to us for Stempniak.

We killed Edmonton on the Pronger trade. 😄

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am NHLPA players poll released today:

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2019-20

Apparently Bozak is the second best golfer in the league.
Apparently Perron and ROR have the best bromance in the league. Didn't know that.

Interesting that Vegas was voted top 4 in ice surface. Always thought it was tougher for hot weather teams which is why Canadian arenas are always considered the best
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 am NHLPA players poll released today:

https://www.nhlpa.com/player-poll/2019-20

Apparently Bozak is the second best golfer in the league.
Apparently Perron and ROR have the best bromance in the league. Didn't know that.

Interesting that Vegas was voted top 4 in ice surface. Always thought it was tougher for hot weather teams which is why Canadian arenas are always considered the best
Supposedly its actually humidity that matters more than temperature. So a dry climate like the desert in Vegas probably helps with the ice. I've heard that Arizona has great ice, while Florida (hot climate and humid) has shit ice.

The Athletic did a survey of fans to try and determine who the best and worst regional NHL broadcasts are around the league. Bruins finished last, which I loved because of you’ve ever listened to Jack Edwards, well, you just know. Blues broadcast came in 4th overall, with the 4th highest overall rating from the local fanbase and then 7th highest overall rating among fans of other teams. Gotta say, FSMW adding Pang and moving Bernie to intermission/postgame was the best thing to happen to the Blues broadcast in a long time.

https://theathletic.com/1710155/2020/04 ... ed-article

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:13 pm The Athletic did a survey of fans to try and determine who the best and worst regional NHL broadcasts are around the league. Bruins finished last, which I loved because of you’ve ever listened to Jack Edwards, well, you just know. Blues broadcast came in 4th overall, with the 4th highest overall rating from the local fanbase and then 7th highest overall rating among fans of other teams. Gotta say, FSMW adding Pang and moving Bernie to intermission/postgame was the best thing to happen to the Blues broadcast in a long time.

Just out of curiosity which fanbase likes their regional broadcast team the least?

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:11 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:13 pm The Athletic did a survey of fans to try and determine who the best and worst regional NHL broadcasts are around the league. Bruins finished last, which I loved because of you’ve ever listened to Jack Edwards, well, you just know. Blues broadcast came in 4th overall, with the 4th highest overall rating from the local fanbase and then 7th highest overall rating among fans of other teams. Gotta say, FSMW adding Pang and moving Bernie to intermission/postgame was the best thing to happen to the Blues broadcast in a long time.

Just out of curiosity which fanbase likes their regional broadcast team the least?
Avs, Oilers, Leafs, Jets, and Bruins. Seemed to be a common thing that the local Canadians do not like their broadcasts.

T.C. wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:01 ampoor millionaire. to quote linda marolla, "i love a living room you can land a plane in."
If I became an NHL star player, I'd spend my mad money on adding a full-sized indoor ice rink somewhere within the square footage of my exclusive compound. Maybe even an indoor-outdoor rink, if the local climate was conducive. I reckon I could forgo the 5th & 6th guest bathrooms with attached 12-person sauna/Jacuzzi/massage room combo in favor of having somewhere to stay in game shape. For the good of the game, of course.

I agree. I actually really like Kelly/Pang. I will always miss Ken Wilson, but Kelly has really grown on me. I just had to get past his weirdo facial expressions when he is on camera :lol:

I am also a HUGE fan of Erica Weston ;)
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 am

I agree. I actually really like Kelly/Pang. I will always miss Ken Wilson, but Kelly has really grown on me. I just had to get past his weirdo facial expressions when he is on camera :lol:

This might be an unpopular opinion on here, but I couldn't stand Ken Wilson after a certain point in his career here. His voice was outstanding, and he was definitely a pro in terms keeping up with the action. He probably could've become a national guy if he wanted to but, he became an absolute caricature of himself. Once "oh baby" became a thing, he was toast. Anytime anything remotely exciting happened he'd toss it out like beads on Mardi Gras. The difference between Wilson with his "oh baby" and Panger with his catch phrases is that Panger says them with a wink, he's in on the joke. Wilson was dead serious about them and acted as if he was doing the fans a favor by deeming a routine pad save in a 4-1 game "oh baby" worthy.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I think Wilson got a bit of a raw deal here. I think he was very good at what he did.....his biggest fault was so did he. He had a little arrogance to him for sure but that’s what made him Ken Wilson. He sure called some of the greatest goals in Blues history. I dont think he gets the credit for as much as he played a part in the history of our Blues.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 am

Avs, Oilers, Leafs, Jets, and Bruins. Seemed to be a common thing that the local Canadians do not like their broadcasts.
The Avs broadcasters are such unbelievable homers it borders on fascism. The worst is that Mark Rycroft who does the in between period stuff.

Oilers I hear a lot of and I don't mind them. I'm surprised they don't get any national slots on Hockey Night in Canada.

Leafs, I hardly ever hear because so many of their games are nationally televised. (Fuck you Sportsnet)

I know NHLTIM likes Dennis Beyak on the Jets but I can not stand him. Sara Orlesky who does the pregame and in between period stuff is awesome though.

It surprises me that Bruins fans would have an issue with Edwards and Brickley being such massive homer crybabies that the fans there are.

I didn’t like Kelly at all when he was paired with Bernie. Once Pang came in he instantly improved in my opinion. Not sure if Bernie was that bad, they just didn’t have chemistry, or what. But suddenly it was like JK was no longer behind the play anymore and calling things pretty fair (still a homer, but not near to the extent of some other guys).

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 am

This might be an unpopular opinion on here, but I couldn't stand Ken Wilson after a certain point in his career here. His voice was outstanding, and he was definitely a pro in terms keeping up with the action. He probably could've become a national guy if he wanted to but, he became an absolute caricature of himself. Once "oh baby" became a thing, he was toast. Anytime anything remotely exciting happened he'd toss it out like beads on Mardi Gras. The difference between Wilson with his "oh baby" and Panger with his catch phrases is that Panger says them with a wink, he's in on the joke. Wilson was dead serious about them and acted as if he was doing the fans a favor by deeming a routine pad save in a 4-1 game "oh baby" worthy.

You are more than entitled to your opinion, but check out this video. Some of these calls give me chills. Maybe it was more the moment than the call, but he was Blues hockey for me when I was young, so I will always love his calls.
KA-KAW!

Count me in as a Ken Wilson fan. We haven't even come close in replacing him IMO. Practically all of Brett Hull's goals as a Blue were called by Ken Wilson and there's only one other guy who could of matched or exceeded Ken's calls and that was Dan Kelly. Ken Wilson was not only fun to listen too but he was very knowledgeable as well. He knew the game and called it with flair.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:36 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 am

The Avs broadcasters are such unbelievable homers it borders on fascism. The worst is that Mark Rycroft who does the in between period stuff.

Oilers I hear a lot of and I don't mind them. I'm surprised they don't get any national slots on Hockey Night in Canada.

Leafs, I hardly ever hear because so many of their games are nationally televised. (Fuck you Sportsnet)

I know NHLTIM likes Dennis Beyak on the Jets but I can not stand him. Sara Orlesky who does the pregame and in between period stuff is awesome though.

It surprises me that Bruins fans would have an issue with Edwards and Brickley being such massive homer crybabies that the fans there are.
I do like Beyak...i think he calls a great game. I still think Gord Miller is the best right now.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:23 am We ever find out why the Stars fired their coach earlier this season?
Elliotte Friedman interviewed him recently for 31 Thoughts. He refuses to talk specifically about whatever happened, but it's certainly alcohol-related. With how mad his wife says she was, possibly some liberties taken with a female outside his marrage? Probably never know the truth.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... l-fallout/

MattyIce wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 am

You are more than entitled to your opinion, but check out this video. Some of these calls give me chills. Maybe it was more the moment than the call, but he was Blues hockey for me when I was young, so I will always love his calls.
For me he was great until he wasn't. He called the game well until he tried to create a brand for himself. Even at his worst he was 100 times better than some PxP guys today.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!