Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:09 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 pm
BlueinNy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:58 pm Leon with 4 goals tonight, my gawd this guy is unstoppable with McJesus in the lineup.
Hart Trophy leader right now.
You may be correct but I think Pastrnak is running away with it. Best player, best team
Those two and MacKinnon are the finalists right now, with Panarin having a shot if he drags the Rangers into the playoffs. I think it's very close between those top 3.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:45 am Hallelujah!

I actually don't like that whatsoever. It's bad enough when the refs have to review something with a black (blue technically) and white boundary. Now you're trusting them with an imaginary one? This makes the problem worse to me. Every time they think they're solving a problem they're just creating new ones. My fix would be take away challenges. Have the league office in NY review every goal for offside. If they can't tell by the time the puck is dropped, it's not the type of call the rule was put in to fix anyway.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:21 pm

I actually don't like that whatsoever. It's bad enough when the refs have to review something with a black (blue technically) and white boundary. Now you're trusting them with an imaginary one? This makes the problem worse to me. Every time they think they're solving a problem they're just creating new ones. My fix would be take away challenges. Have the league office in NY review every goal for offside. If they can't tell by the time the puck is dropped, it's not the type of call the rule was put in to fix anyway.
I think the only solution is to get rid of referees and just go back to the street hockey honor system. Call your own fouls.
Just a Russian propaganda account

I do think this could make reviews trickier, however the rule makes a lot more sense now. The skate requiring to be on the ice doesn't really make sense. There are plenty examples of guys taking steps and not having a skate on the ice, and thus being offside, when their skate is completely behind the line. Which just feels wrong, because they're clearly not gaining any advantage.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:39 pmI think the only solution is to get rid of referees and just go back to the street hockey honor system. Call your own fouls.
Better idea: Keep the offside challenge. But if the linesman got the call wrong, the player charged gets the choice: Punch the linesman in the face, or give him a two-hander across the chest. Drop the *&^%$#@ puck.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:04 pm Just saw that the Stars are 4-0 against the Avs. How badly do we think the Avs want to win the Central so as to not end up in a 2 v 3 matchup with Dallas?
Would love it if the Blues get first and play Calgary in 1st rd. Don't really want Nashville, not liking that they reversed it this year and did the weekend sweep on us.

This. It was never meant to measure if a person was a pubic hair's width offside. Worst rule in the league ever.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:00 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:46 pm

Stricknasty likes thrown stuff out there, but I know this would be much preferred to dealin w/ Chicago Wolves again. Springfield, MA is only a 3 hr flight away.
Fingers crossed, really don't want to set back our AHL development.
Putting Strickland's reputation aside for a moment ... AHL situations change regularly, but the current local ownership group in Springfield has a good reputation for commitment AND the League offices are there. So it would be a relatively low risk & stable option for the Blues to affiliate with the Thunderbirds. Though it will cut down on the Blues fan road trip possibilities.

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:21 pm
Cotton McKnight wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:00 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:46 pm

Stricknasty likes thrown stuff out there, but I know this would be much preferred to dealin w/ Chicago Wolves again. Springfield, MA is only a 3 hr flight away.
Fingers crossed, really don't want to set back our AHL development.
Putting Strickland's reputation aside for a moment ... AHL situations change regularly, but the current local ownership group in Springfield has a good reputation for commitment AND the League offices are there. So it would be a relatively low risk & stable option for the Blues to affiliate with the Thunderbirds. Though it will cut down on the Blues fan road trip possibilities.
About 15 min. flight-time (or 2 hr drive-time) difference from STL to San Antonio, TX versus STL to Springfield, MA. I'd imagine if one were inclined to make the trip South, they'll be almost as likely to head East.

It's all speculation right now anyway. I just really don't want them getting stuck w/ the Wolves again.

usmcaaron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:40 pmAbout 15 min. flight-time (or 2 hr drive-time) difference from STL to San Antonio, TX versus STL to Springfield, MA. I'd imagine if one were inclined to make the trip South, they'll be almost as likely to head East. ...
My mistake for not clarifying. I was comparing STL-to-Springfield travel to STL-to-Rosemont travel. But all things considered, I agree that a Blues-Thunderbirds affiliation is more promising than a forced re-engagement with the Wolves. What I believe we're seeing here is an NHL-AHL league offices brokered shuffle to avoid another disaster. I hope it all works out for whatever parties end up being involved.

Flyers are freaking resilient and how about my boy Travis Konecny getting screwed out of a goal and then coming right back and burying one! Hockey is better when the Flyers are good!
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"