Re: The Official Petro Contract Speculation Thread

BillP. wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:16 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:06 pm 8yrs, $66 mil
$8.25 mil cap hit
$12, $12, $11, $9, $9, $5, $4, $4
Only $2 mil increase in his cap hit.

That's my guess.
Nice work with the dollar payout. If it is 8 and 64, then just make the first 3 years 11m. It all makes sense.
Hey, sign me up. I just figured he'd want similar to recent big contracts, like John Carlson, at 12 mil upfront.

$64 mil is good too. :D

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:53 am There's a strong case to be made that Petro is still getting better at this stage in his career.
I was reading Tom Timmerman's Blues chat in the PD this morning, and someone pointed out that Niklas Lidstrom never won a Norris until his age-30 season, and that by the time he retired (at 41), he had 7 Norris Trophies.

Now, Petro obviously is not Lidstrom, and he's not going to win 7 Norris trophies (honestly I think he'd be lucky to win even one). With that said, I do think both play styles that are more likely to age well than other guys--smart players who don't make or take a lot of hits. I wouldn't be surprised to see Petro playing into his mid-to-late 30s effectively.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:53 am There's a strong case to be made that Petro is still getting better at this stage in his career.
I was reading Tom Timmerman's Blues chat in the PD this morning, and someone pointed out that Niklas Lidstrom never won a Norris until his age-30 season, and that by the time he retired (at 41), he had 7 Norris Trophies.

Now, Petro obviously is not Lidstrom, and he's not going to win 7 Norris trophies (honestly I think he'd be lucky to win even one). With that said, I do think both play styles that are more likely to age well than other guys--smart players who don't make or take a lot of hits. I wouldn't be surprised to see Petro playing into his mid-to-late 30s effectively.
This is a great point and comparison. I also think Petro's confidence is through the roof right now after being a SC Champ. He's playing like he owns the ice. I'm full board on the re-sign Petro at all cost train.

The day you lose Petro is the day you perpetually try to replace him.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 am

This is a great point and comparison. I also think Petro's confidence is through the roof right now after being a SC Champ. He's playing like he owns the ice. I'm full board on the re-sign Petro at all cost train.

In a vacuum I'm all for keeping Petro, I'm just a little concerned about where the cap room comes from to sign him. You're already looking at a noteworthy raise for Dunn next year, and $73M in contracts already spoken for. The cap will probably go up, but not enough to make everything easy. Sure you could find a take for Jake's contract in his last year if he plays alright this year, but that won't be enough. What if Blais continues his 40 point pace, he'll be due a raise as well. Everybody wants to get rid of Steen, but that's a tough one to move given that he has to sign off on any trade. Army always seems to find a way to keep the guys he wants to, but if he extends Petro at the market rate, it'll be very interesting to see where the room comes from.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:27 am

In a vacuum I'm all for keeping Petro, I'm just a little concerned about where the cap room comes from to sign him. You're already looking at a noteworthy raise for Dunn next year, and $73M in contracts already spoken for. The cap will probably go up, but not enough to make everything easy. Sure you could find a take for Jake's contract in his last year if he plays alright this year, but that won't be enough. What if Blais continues his 40 point pace, he'll be due a raise as well. Everybody wants to get rid of Steen, but that's a tough one to move given that he has to sign off on any trade. Army always seems to find a way to keep the guys he wants to, but if he extends Petro at the market rate, it'll be very interesting to see where the room comes from.
You don't let Petro go because you need to sign Sammy Blais. You pick Petro over Sammy Blais. You really just need to figuring it out for one season because after next, you have Bozak, Steen, and Allen all off the books which is 15 million.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:27 am

You don't let Petro go because you need to sign Sammy Blais. You pick Petro over Sammy Blais. You really just need to figuring it out for one season because after next, you have Bozak, Steen, and Allen all off the books which is 15 million.
That wasn't the point. They're obviously signing Blais and Dunn for more money than they make now. The point was if Armstrong signs Petro, there are going to be deeper cuts to the roster than will be easily made.

I've been one of petro's bigger(est?) Critic on this board, but you bring up a great point. His confidence IS through the roof. Even alone on the PP at the point he isn't "pieturnovers" anymore.

I am weary "it's bc it's a contract year" his play is great on the ice, but if this is the guy we drafted finally playing to his full potential....you can NOT let him go.
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

He’s been great...still makes the dumb play at times that I wouldn’t expect him to make. He’s much better now that he actually tries to get the puck on net and doesn’t go for that dumb ass slap pass wide of the net he spent two years trying to perfect. Plus it is a contract year even though he was gonna get paid regardless
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 am He’s been great...still makes the dumb play at times that I wouldn’t expect him to make. He’s much better now that he actually tries to get the puck on net and doesn’t go for that dumb ass slap pass wide of the net he spent two years trying to perfect. Plus it is a contract year even though he was gonna get paid regardless
Watching that damn thing for two years took 5 years off my life expectancy.

Was just looking at CapFriendly trying to figure out where the cap space would come from if Petro re-signs. Given that Thomas looked pretty comfy at Center last night, I think Bozak is the most logical salary dump to make room for Petro. I like Bozak, he's been a very steady reliable guy on the 3rd line and 2nd PK/PP units, but his $5M cap hit for next year would give Armstrong a lot more breathing room.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:20 am Was just looking at CapFriendly trying to figure out where the cap space would come from if Petro re-signs. Given that Thomas looked pretty comfy at Center last night, I think Bozak is the most logical salary dump to make room for Petro. I like Bozak, he's been a very steady reliable guy on the 3rd line and 2nd PK/PP units, but his $5M cap hit for next year would give Armstrong a lot more breathing room.
From the second we signed Bozak, I thought that he would end up being our Seattle casualty. That being said, he has been great on faceoffs, winning 54.4% of them and can play up or down the lineup which is nice.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:25 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:20 am Was just looking at CapFriendly trying to figure out where the cap space would come from if Petro re-signs. Given that Thomas looked pretty comfy at Center last night, I think Bozak is the most logical salary dump to make room for Petro. I like Bozak, he's been a very steady reliable guy on the 3rd line and 2nd PK/PP units, but his $5M cap hit for next year would give Armstrong a lot more breathing room.
From the second we signed Bozak, I thought that he would end up being our Seattle casualty. That being said, he has been great on faceoffs, winning 54.4% of them and can play up or down the lineup which is nice.
The draft isn't until after the 2020-2021 season, which is when Bozak's deal expires. They could still take him (Vegas took a few UFAs), but I'd imagine there will be some appealing options still under contract from that year's roster, Dunn, Perron etc.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:30 am I think Bozak is pretty undervalued here for what he provides. He’s got one year left...I don’t think his salary is the difference on whether or not we resign Petro
I really like Bozak, they don't win the Cup last year without him. I just think he's the most logical option of the players with any significant contract. I suppose Army could surprise everyone by moving Schwartz instead, but that'd be shocking. I think they only need one year of space to make things easier for Petro since Steen and Allen come off the books the following season. Armstrong always finds a way to make the numbers work, it'll be fascinating to see how he does it though.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:03 am Petro currently has 14 points in 17 games. He's also got 6 power play points this year.

The price is going up. Hope Army signs him sooner than later.
I don't disagree, but that line of thinking is what got us into the Steen contract mess we're currently in. No reason to let it play out a little longer and not settle it at the absolute very highest of his value. Not that a few weeks of stellar or awful play will sway much, but it certainly didn't help in the Steen negotiations.

Perhaps the player we haven’t been thinking enough about in Petro speculation is actually Parayko. He’s UFA in two years. Petro’s game has tapered off here lately for whatever reason and Parayko has really been dominant. If you have Parayko as a first pairing guy (assuming he’s playing like he is now) and Faulk on the second pair, how much of a downgrade would it be? (Not advocating for this position, just throwing it out there).

https://theathletic.com/1648699/2020/03 ... ed-article

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 am Perhaps the player we haven’t been thinking enough about in Petro speculation is actually Parayko. He’s UFA in two years. Petro’s game has tapered off here lately for whatever reason and Parayko has really been dominant. If you have Parayko as a first pairing guy (assuming he’s playing like he is now) and Faulk on the second pair, how much of a downgrade would it be? (Not advocating for this position, just throwing it out there).

A big one

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:49 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 am Perhaps the player we haven’t been thinking enough about in Petro speculation is actually Parayko. He’s UFA in two years. Petro’s game has tapered off here lately for whatever reason and Parayko has really been dominant. If you have Parayko as a first pairing guy (assuming he’s playing like he is now) and Faulk on the second pair, how much of a downgrade would it be? (Not advocating for this position, just throwing it out there).

A big one
Yes. Parayko can do a good job of filling Petro's role, but Faulk hasn't shown he can fill Parayko's. It's going to be a fascinating negotiation in a compressed period since they're not talking until after the playoffs. Here's hoping they only have a couple weeks to figure it out before 7/1.