Trade alert! Faulk now a Blue - Good Bye Edmundson and Bokk

HOLY SHEET!!!

Justin Faulk is coming to the Show-Me State.

The Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues acquired the 27-year-old defenseman Tuesday in a major trade that sent defenseman Joel Edmundson, prospect Dominik Bokk and a seventh-round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft to the Carolina Hurricanes. The Blues also acquired a fifth-round pick in 2020.

After the trade, the Blues signed Faulk to a seven-year contract extension worth $45.5 million (annual average value of $6.5 million).

Faulk, 27, had been the subject of heavy trade speculation as he entered the final season of a six-year contract with Carolina.

"We are excited to add Justin to our core group for the next eight years," Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong said. "He's a Top-4 defenseman who averages over 22 minutes a game. We're confident he will be a strong addition to our club."

Faulk was a key part of the Hurricanes' run to the Eastern Conference Final last season, posting one goal and seven assists (eight points) in 15 playoff games. In the regular season, he ranked second on the club amongst defensemen with 35 points (11 goals, 24 assists) and registered a plus-9 rating.

A second-round pick (No. 37 overall) of the Hurricanes in 2010, Faulk is a three-time NHL All-Star (2015, 2016, 2017) and has represented the United States in international play, including winning a gold medal at the 2010 IIHF World U18 Championships, claiming bronze at the 2013 and 2015 IIHF World Championships and earning a bronze medal at the 2011 World Junior Hockey Championships.

In 2014, Faulk became the youngest player on Team USA's roster (21) at the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Edmundson played four seasons with the Blues, spanning 269 career games. He posted 13 goals and 39 assists (52 points) and a plus-18 rating, helping the team claim its first Stanley Cup in 2019. Edmundson was drafted by the Blues in the second round (No. 46 overall) in 2011.

"I would like to thank Joel for his four seasons with the Blues," Armstrong said. "He was an important part of what we accomplished here and we wish him nothing but the best."

Bokk is a first-round pick of the Blues (No. 25 overall) in 2018 but has yet to make his NHL debut.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Re: Trade alert! Faulk now a Blue - Good Bye Edmundson and Bokk

BluesSK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:13 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:12 pm This is the deal that a Stanley cup champion makes! Beautiful deal by Army!
Blues win this deal hands down.
No question about it.
Yep, I loved Edmundson's tough play, but this is a strong move to making our transition game AND should help our PP hopefully. Of his 258 points, 104 have come on the PP.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Short term thoughts: So that's another RHD. Unless somebody is going to play on their off-side, this seems like bad news for Bortuzzo. If somebody is playing on their off-side, it's bad news for Gunnar. Until last year he was very productive on the PP, so does he take PP time from Petro/Dunn? He plays big minutes and has always scored a lot, so that's a great thing to have.

As SK mentioned, what does this mean for a Petro extension if anything? I tend to think it's more of a re-allocation of Bouwmeester's money, but who knows. If anything it's Petro insurance if his ask is too high. I really hope this is basically a filling of the Shattenkirk sized hole on the back end. A guy that can move the puck well and play all situations (but better defensively than Shatty).

I still can't get over how quiet this deal was kept. All the insiders seemed to find out about it from the article in the Blues tweet. The PR team had time to get quotes from DA and all of the extension details. I love that.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Reading some Canes fans' comments it sounds like Faulk has played the left side a decent amount. So we could be looking at:
Dunn-Pietrangelo
Faulk-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Bortuzzo/Gunnarsson

I'm not totally closing the door on Petro re-signing, but this could be a sign from Army that he learned a lesson from the Blackhawks after they won their cups. Tough to keep a competitive team together when guys are making $10m+.