Re: Clown Suits Are Back

insideout wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 pm I bet more NHL Hall-of-Famers wore that sweater than any other Blues sweater.
Man, that is amazing, I think you might be right. Off the top of my head, Gretzky, Hull, Pronger, MacInnis, Shanahan, Hawerchuck, Anderson...probably a couple others. Ah, the mid-90s Blues!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am
insideout wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 pmI bet more NHL Hall-of-Famers wore that sweater than any other Blues sweater.
I'd love to see your data to back up that claim. With due consideration of the changes in standards for HHoF induction since the early expansion years.
My counting may be wrong, but it does appear that Insideout is correct:

Glenn Anderson
Grand Fuhr
Wayne Gretzky
Dale Hawerchuk
Brett Hull
Chris Pronger
All MacInnis

7 HHOF Players who wore that jersey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... ll_of_Fame

Jacques PLante
Dickie Moore
Doug Harvey
Glenn Hall

4 players from the early years jersey

There are a few who played in the early nineties, but there was also different designs from 89-92 then 92-94 then to the 'clowns' from 95-98 http://www.nhluniforms.com/Blues/Blues10.html
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 am
insideout wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 pmI bet more NHL Hall-of-Famers wore that sweater than any other Blues sweater.
I'd love to see your data to back up that claim. With due consideration of the changes in standards for HHoF induction since the early expansion years.

Glenn Anderson
Grand Fuhr
Wayne Gretzky
Dale Hawerchuk
Brett Hull
Chris Pronger
All MacInnis

Jacques PLante
Dickie Moore
Doug Harvey
Glenn Hall

There are a few who played in the early nineties, but there was also different designs from 89-92 then 92-94 then to the 'clowns' from 95-98 http://www.nhluniforms.com/Blues/Blues10.html
They technically debuted in 1995, but that was the 94-95 season thanks to Bettman Lockout I. That means Shanahan was another HHOFer to wear the jersey, as well as recently elected Guy Carbonneau, and Peter Stastny.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:50 am
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 amI'd love to see your data to back up that claim. With due consideration of the changes in standards for HHoF induction since the early expansion years.

Glenn Anderson
Grand Fuhr
Wayne Gretzky
Dale Hawerchuk
Brett Hull
Chris Pronger
All MacInnis

Jacques PLante
Dickie Moore
Doug Harvey
Glenn Hall

They technically debuted in 1995, but that was the 94-95 season thanks to Bettman Lockout I. That means Shanahan was another HHOFer to wear the jersey, as well as recently elected Guy Carbonneau, and Peter Stastny.
Thanks, boys. So all I need is photos of 6 HHoF "Builders" inductees wearing the older Blues jerseys during coaching sessions or publicity photo ops, and I can prove insideout wrong? Arbour, Bowman, Francis, ........ DAMN!

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:35 pm

Glenn Anderson
Grand Fuhr
Wayne Gretzky
Dale Hawerchuk
Brett Hull
Chris Pronger
All MacInnis

Jacques PLante
Dickie Moore
Doug Harvey
Glenn Hall

Thanks, boys. So all I need is photos of 6 HHoF "Builders" inductees wearing the older Blues jerseys during coaching sessions or publicity photo ops, and I can prove insideout wrong? Arbour, Bowman, Francis, ........ DAMN!
Remarkable how many Cup winners came through St. Louis before/after winning their Cups, and the team that finally does win one for the Blues might not have a single Hall of Famer.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:53 pm
Remarkable how many Cup winners came through St. Louis before/after winning their Cups, and the team that finally does win one for the Blues might not have a single Hall of Famer.
IF Petro can continue to have say 5 more 50+ point seasons and win one more Cup, does he get in? That's put him over 650 points for his career, and in the top 3-5 in points as a Blues player. Does he even need another Cup if he finishes with over 600 points and continues to play a strong D game on the top pairing?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:22 pm
IF Petro can continue to have say 5 more 50+ point seasons and win one more Cup, does he get in? That's put him over 650 points for his career, and in the top 3-5 in points as a Blues player. Does he even need another Cup if he finishes with over 600 points and continues to play a strong D game on the top pairing?
HHOF can be weird, but unless he Captains another Cup winner and wins a Norris and or Conn Smythe I just don't see it. Still will have a hell of a career though.

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:22 pm
At this point I think he would have a better chance getting in if he won a Norris than if he won another Cup. The HHOF seems weird that way.

Scruffy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:57 am
39hurricane wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 pm
Scruffy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:40 am

I know I’ve probably already ranted about this in the past, but everyone misremembers this play. Gretzky didn’t try to dangle. He didn’t get stripped.

Gretzky was in good defensive position. The Detroit defender fanned on the pass and the puck drifted behind Gretzky, who almost corralled it with one hand, but he couldn’t quite come up with an unexpected loose puck in an awkward spot. It’s happened to everyone who’s ever played. Unfortunately for Gretzky, the puck hit the back of his skate and bounced directly onto the stick of Yzerman, who took a handful of strides and wired a shot top shelf.

It was a bitter and heartbreaking and ironic series of events, but people almost universally blame Gretzky for what was a heads-up play, a bad bounce, and a miraculous shot.

Also, those jerseys are definitely ugly, but, like others have noted, they’re going for the nostalgia angle—and the general rule is that you go back roughly 25 years. Hence, the goofy 90s ones. It’s not a big deal, IMO. (I personally prefer the early 90s Jeff Brown-style Jersey).

Rant over.

tl;dr—Gretzky didn’t turn that puck over. The new jerseys are ugly, but aren’t that big of a deal.
The best player ever to play the game. Ever. Couldn't come up with a 50/50 puck. Stevie Y made him look like a washed up 3rd liner. And we lost the series on that play.

Those jerseys are ugly.
You’ve changed from ‘Gretzky dangled and was stripped’ to ‘couldn’t come up with a 50/50 puck.’

Still wrong, but at least you’re getting closer.
I bet you are a lot of fun at parties Scruffy. Very cool.

Here's something else remarkable that I've considered before.... If no one on the Blues SC team gets in the HOF, could they be the only Stanley Cup winner ever to not have at least one of them? I'm guessing one of the Kings will get in.... Maybe Doughty or Kopitar? ...... But they are the only team I can think of that could potentially also qualify. Other than the Kings (possibly), I can't think of a single SC winner without one since '67 expansion (Chi/Bos/Pit/Was will all have at least one eventually), and I imagine most - if not - all winners before that had at least 1.

insideout wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:35 pmHere's something else remarkable that I've considered before.... If no one on the Blues SC team gets in the HOF, could they be the only Stanley Cup winner ever to not have at least one of them? I'm guessing one of the Kings will get in.... Maybe Doughty or Kopitar? ...... But they are the only team I can think of that could potentially also qualify. Other than the Kings (possibly), I can't think of a single SC winner without one since '67 expansion (Chi/Bos/Pit/Was will all have at least one eventually), and I imagine most - if not - all winners before that had at least 1.
Carolina?

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:50 pm
insideout wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:35 pmHere's something else remarkable that I've considered before.... If no one on the Blues SC team gets in the HOF, could they be the only Stanley Cup winner ever to not have at least one of them? I'm guessing one of the Kings will get in.... Maybe Doughty or Kopitar? ...... But they are the only team I can think of that could potentially also qualify. Other than the Kings (possibly), I can't think of a single SC winner without one since '67 expansion (Chi/Bos/Pit/Was will all have at least one eventually), and I imagine most - if not - all winners before that had at least 1.
Carolina?
I think you’re right. I was thinking they had Francis , but he was gone in 06.

insideout wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:32 pm
Carolina?
Nope. They had Mark Recchi.

insideout wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:32 pm
Carolina?
Shot in the dark. I didn't even consider Francis. It just seemed to me that a team like the Canes with their one-season success was a good candidate. I briefly added Florida, but - go figger - they never won a Cup. :oops:

39hurricane wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:17 pm
39hurricane wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 pm

The best player ever to play the game. Ever. Couldn't come up with a 50/50 puck. Stevie Y made him look like a washed up 3rd liner. And we lost the series on that play.

Those jerseys are ugly.
You’ve changed from ‘Gretzky dangled and was stripped’ to ‘couldn’t come up with a 50/50 puck.’

Ha. My original post was about how people are overly negative about these things (a bad bounce, an ugly jersey). Not sure why this got you all riled up...

Scruffy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 am
39hurricane wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Ha. My original post was about how people are overly negative about these things (a bad bounce, an ugly jersey). Not sure why this got you all riled up...
You need a hobby.

Scruffy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:39 pm
39hurricane wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 pm
Scruffy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 am
You need a hobby.
[/quote
Was this just a long game to be able to tell people you have 69 post? I respect that
Just a Russian propaganda account