MLS to St Louis

Looks like the MLS owners approved St Louis as an expansion team. It should be exciting what it does for the area around Union Station and Enterprise Center. As well as how the Blues and this new team work together. Good shit if you ask me.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: MLS to St Louis

MLS press release to back up Dread's enthusiasm ...
MLS announces plans to expand to 30 teams

April 18, 2019
7:05PM EDT
MLSsoccer staff

Major League Soccer unveiled plans to expand to 30 teams in the coming years, up from the previous target of 28 clubs that the league had established in December 2015.

The decision was made by owners at Board of Governors meetings held in Los Angeles. No official decision was made on future expansion markets, but the Commissioner’s office was authorized to advance discussions with Sacramento and St. Louis ownership groups regarding their bids. ...

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:22 pm Looks like the MLS owners approved St Louis as an expansion team. It should be exciting what it does for the area around Union Station and Enterprise Center. As well as how the Blues and this new team work together. Good shit if you ask me.
where are you thinking they put a soccer stadium? or has it been announced?

T.C. wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:24 pm ugh. well, maybe it will result in an easy way to get on 64 east from there at least. fuck soccer.

so still nothing is going to happen in the old rams arena, huh? what a waste of space.
It's part of the convention center. It's actually generating more income that when the Rams played there. More conventions dollars. The NFL would only allow them to book something one or two times a season. The NFL got first pick and most conventions are booked almost a year ahead of time. It's not setting empty, but they're only using the floor space, but it's still making money.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

It's official.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/soccer/ ... c397a.html

Major League Soccer plans to announce next week that St. Louis has secured an expansion team, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the league’s expansion timeline.

Sources spoke on condition of anonymity, as the St. Louis ownership group and MLS have not publicized the announcement.

Plans have been made for an event Tuesday in St. Louis.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:16 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 pm @DPW: "Sources spoke on condition of anonymity ..." NOT EQUAL TO "It's official." But next Tuesday will be a day for St. Louis sports fans to celebrate.
That's right... we may be at war with the Kingdom of Fredonia by next Tuesday.
That'd be "Freedonia" to you, Pinky ...

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:45 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:16 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 pm @DPW: "Sources spoke on condition of anonymity ..." NOT EQUAL TO "It's official." But next Tuesday will be a day for St. Louis sports fans to celebrate.
That's right... we may be at war with the Kingdom of Fredonia by next Tuesday.
That'd be "Freedonia" to you, Pinky ...

You should know... you were probably in your 50s when that movie was made.

I'm pretty excited for this actually. I'm not a soccer fan, but I am a sports fan in general. The Blues are my passion, but I follow pretty much every major sport. I've watched some MLS games on TV and the crowds look fun and the tailgating should be a blast.
KA-KAW!

T.C. wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:03 am
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 pmBut next Tuesday will be a day for St. Louis sports fans to celebrate.
i think you grossly overestimate how many people give a flying fuck about soccer here.
My only firm prediction will be tested next Tuesday. We'll see which one of us is right about significant STL sports fan acceptance of MLS soccer in three years. Plenty of time for each of us to fortify our defensive positions. @MattyIce will be manning the ramparts for my side.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 am
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 pmBut next Tuesday will be a day for St. Louis sports fans to celebrate.
i think you grossly overestimate how many people give a flying fuck about soccer here.
My only firm prediction will be tested next Tuesday. We'll see which one of us is right about significant STL sports fan acceptance of MLS soccer in three years. Plenty of time for each of us to fortify our defensive positions. @MattyIce will be manning the ramparts for my side.
We love soccer in our clan.... we’ll be taking in some games... until it gets to be a glam-sport and we get priced out.

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 pm But next Tuesday will be a day for St. Louis sports fans to celebrate.
I think you underestimate it
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

I am a soccer fan, so this is really exciting for me personally. Hockey will always be number 1, but soccer is a distant second, followed by World Rally Championship and Formula 1 third. I am excited to see what the new stadium will actually look like.

storey13 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:38 pm I am a soccer fan, so this is really exciting for me personally. Hockey will always be number 1, but soccer is a distant second, followed by World Rally Championship and Formula 1 third. I am excited to see what the new stadium will actually look like.
I'm with ya as far as hockey being #1 and soccer #2. Being in St. Louis, it's sort of sacraligious to say this, but I'm just nothing more than a casual Cards fan. I have actually told people I'd rather watch a Blues preseason game than a Cards World Series game. I know the two game don't happen at the same time, but it gets my point across.

I'm thrilled to have an MLS team to watch instead of baseball, just disappointed that it's still 3 years away.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

NHLTIM wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:29 am
JMC-STL wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:33 pm But next Tuesday will be a day for St. Louis sports fans to celebrate.
I think you underestimate it
given my opinion about soccer, there's nowhere to go but up so this may be true. to anyone in my circle of friends, soccer is, at most, something you have to take your kids to until they find something better to do. even growing up here, can't say i ever recall meeting anyone that couldn't wait for that next soccer game. but somehow there seem to be lots of fans here on this site, so shrug. i know people that like watching baseball, nascar, PBR, and/or golf, all of which are inexplicable to me, so maybe it's me.

T.C. wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 amgiven my opinion about soccer, there's nowhere to go but up so this may be true. ... i know people that like watching baseball, nascar, PBR, and/or golf, all of which are inexplicable to me, so maybe it's me.
Oh, believe me, it's you.

But I'm right there shoulder-to-shoulder with you, Boss Man, when it comes to baseball gazillionaires & NASCAR hillbillies & bull-shit-riders & fuckin' golfers. [Sorry a/b that NASCAR swipe, Turk. You know I still respect your Mom.]

T.C, I think you greatly underestimate St Louis' interest in Soccer. This city immediately sells up 30-40k events at Busch stadium. I have zero doubt in that soccer stadium, their attendance will be on par with the Blues.

I have not followed MLS at all, I've been a Barca fan my entire soccer fan life, but now I'm going to be going full steam ahead with the MLS and will likely get season tickets. If you like sports and you like a party...Soccer is for you.