Re: Blues summer 2019 Cup tour

Patty Maroon made the most his (St. Louis) day ... Fox2Now: Classic local treat on the menu during St. Louis native Pat Maroon’s day with Stanley Cup

And while his Stanley Cup glow remains bright (though the Cup moves on without him), he will be visiting Texarkana on Monday to honor his NAHL roots ... Press Reader/Texarkana Gazette: Making out like a Bandit: Stanley Cup winner, former local player Pat Maroon back in town for autographs

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:50 am Jake Allen has the cup today.

That's a sentence I 100% knew I'd type out someday. :lol:
Ha! Right there with ya.

Maybe he was just being a good teammate, but, at the Q & A on Sunday, Petro spoke very highly of Jake, saying that the team played like dogshit (paraphrasing here) in front of him early this season and that Jake was very helpful in scouting the other teams’ goalies during the playoff run.

Scruffy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:50 am Jake Allen has the cup today.

Ha! Right there with ya.

Maybe he was just being a good teammate, but, at the Q & A on Sunday, Petro spoke very highly of Jake, saying that the team played like dogshit (paraphrasing here) in front of him early this season and that Jake was very helpful in scouting the other teams’ goalies during the playoff run.
Petro's excuse doesn't pass the eye test... we all know what weak goals look like.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:11 am

Ha! Right there with ya.

Petro's excuse doesn't pass the eye test... we all know what weak goals look like.
I think both things are true. The team played like dogshit and Jake let in softies at the same time.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Ha! Right there with ya.

I saw a couple of blog posts saying that in practice, Jake would try to mimic the tendencies of the goalies the team was facing. It made me think, couldn't he just mimic the tendencies of Rask all the time? Jake Allen pretending to be Tuuka Rask is probably a better goalie than Jake Allen being Jake Allen :lol:

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:48 am

Ha! Right there with ya.

I think both things are true. The team played like dogshit and Jake let in softies at the same time.
Exactly right. That's how you wind up last in the league.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Ha! Right there with ya.

I saw a couple of blog posts saying that in practice, Jake would try to mimic the tendencies of the goalies the team was facing. It made me think, couldn't he just mimic the tendencies of Rask all the time? Jake Allen pretending to be Tuuka Rask is probably a better goalie than Jake Allen being Jake Allen :lol:
You know, I think UMSL is on to something here!

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 pm
Scruffy wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 amHa! Right there with ya.

You know the old saying: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who couldn't stop a beach ball with a headwind, ride the pine through a Stanley Cup run.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:46 pm
All goalies let in soft goals. The difference was that Binnington has a different level of self-confidence, and IMHO, the team fed off of that, because they were ready and had a coach who was instiling that confidence and accountability in them.

Remember when Jake came in the NHL a few years ago, he had that confidence at first too, but the team was 'fragile' remember? They stopped being fragile after Berube took over, and they brought up a goalie that didn't know he should be nervous and lose self confidence when the team played like shit in front of him. I know I'm may be in the 1% here..and not in a good way financially, but I think Jake was a very good goalie, who just had run of bad luck behind a fragile team, some unfortunate injuries, and with trigger happy Hitch always playing fuck me head games, it would wear on anyone IMHO.

LSS: Congrats to Jake, and enjoy your day with the Cup. You earned it.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:41 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:46 pm

All goalies let in soft goals. The difference was that Binnington has a different level of self-confidence, and IMHO, the team fed off of that, because they were ready and had a coach who was instiling that confidence and accountability in them.

Remember when Jake came in the NHL a few years ago, he had that confidence at first too, but the team was 'fragile' remember? They stopped being fragile after Berube took over, and they brought up a goalie that didn't know he should be nervous and lose self confidence when the team played like shit in front of him. I know I'm may be in the 1% here..and not in a good way financially, but I think Jake was a very good goalie, who just had run of bad luck behind a fragile team, some unfortunate injuries, and with trigger happy Hitch always playing fuck me head games, it would wear on anyone IMHO.

LSS: Congrats to Jake, and enjoy your day with the Cup. You earned it.
Binnington will never have the best stats but it's what's between his ears that makes him elite.

barcthespark wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:19 pm
BluesSK wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:56 am

Enjoy the day .

We won the fucking Cup!
BluesSK is exactly right. All previous sins have been forgiven. The Blues Stanley Cup win has washed away all previous sins.
Allen has had a whirlwind of a career already. Glad he got to be a part of this winner. I'm very interested to see how he plays as the #2 guy this year, I think he'll do well.

So Al’s day with the cup was Saturday. Started with a parade (this weekend was Port Hood’s festival weekend, so a parade happens regardless). Had a massive turnout.

After the parade, there was a three hour session that allowed people to take a picture with the cup, and to get autographs with Al (he wasn’t in the pictures).

After that he took the cup to Cabot Links and a local pub, before ending up back at his place for a small party with family / friends

Pictures / autographs took longer than expected so didn’t get much extra time with the cup as I would have hoped. Got a few really good pics with it though, and basically stood next to it for three hours as people got a chance to see it. Cool day even though I didn’t get to drink out of it lol.

An aside, the cup has a decent bend to it at the moment due to a drop out west somewhere this summer haha. Couldn’t get the full story out of the cup keeper though. :).

Beatoni12 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 pm... An aside, the cup has a decent bend to it at the moment due to a drop out west somewhere this summer haha. Couldn’t get the full story out of the cup keeper though. :).
C'mon, you can level with us, man. "a drop out west somewhere" is code for: "I tripped & fell on it as I was carrying it back from the porta potty during the parade." Your secret is safe with us ... and the internet ... :mrgreen:

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:46 am
Beatoni12 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 pm... An aside, the cup has a decent bend to it at the moment due to a drop out west somewhere this summer haha. Couldn’t get the full story out of the cup keeper though. :).
C'mon, you can level with us, man. "a drop out west somewhere" is code for: "I tripped & fell on it as I was carrying it back from the porta potty during the parade." Your secret is safe with us ... and the internet ... :mrgreen:
My money is on Grandma O'Reilly. She looks sweet, but when the cameras are off the rage comes out.

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:46 am
Lol, I wish!! Having a “I got drunk and bent the cup” would be a great story to have!! Haha

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:28 amThere is going to be a season ticket holder event on the 26th and 27th if you know one and they like you maybe they will let you smell their fingers after they touch the Cup.
Just make sure they produce positive evidence of attendance at the event before you go sniffing. Unless this behavior is simply a hobby of yours.