Re: Binnington signs for two years

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:18 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:22 am

Are you the human embodiment of Twitter?
Are you the human embodiment of Facebook?
:lol: yes, the "how dare you share opinions on here", (OR even worse), 'how dare you respond to the opinion I posted here! You are so argumentative!"
As long as we never become the human embodiment of that other forum, I think we're doing okay in life.
Just a Russian propaganda account

T.C. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:18 am i understand the sentiment of the concerned folks here, but as has been pointed out, no way we could take the AAV hit right now that a longer-term deal would have necessitated. as i see it, binnington and luit did the blues a solid here. i fully expect that once we have more cap room after next season, as long as he doesn't completely funnel, he'll be extended long term.
If he wins us another Cup, I offer 8 years at $50-60M. :D

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 am I’ve slept on this and I like this deal even less now. I don’t understand the “we need to see he wasn’t a fluke” logic. If that’s the case you give him a one year deal and still have RFA rights to him. Two years just makes no sense to me the more I think about it. Maybe it’s because I don’t see Binnington as being a fluke (I mean, how many SC winning goalies have been flukes? Niemi?) and I was totally comfortable if Army was going to give him $5.2 over 4 years. I just don’t get how you end up at a contract with Binnington that is both more than a “prove it” deal (as that would have been 1 year) and also less than a “we see you as our long term starter” deal (as that would’ve bought out UFA years).

Who knows. Maybe Binnington only wanted a two year deal. Just not a huge fan of this contract.
Couldn't agree more and that is the point I was also making.

I'm not mad that the Blues re-signed JB50 obviously, but the contract is 100% a player contract and offers really no benefit for the team itself.

If he still needs to prove it, then you simply go to arb with him because he was already under team control for two more seasons. Now you still have him under team control for two more years, but at a higher aav than he would've gotten through arb.

The Blues are left with slightly more than 7 million left and are now handcuffed cap wise. That money somehow needs to be spread apart Husso, Barbs, SunnyD, and Eddy. I've seen it estimated that Barbs, Sunny, and Eddy will get that between just the three of them. And obviously, you're out on Maroon too. Every bit of money saved would've helped. Edmundson and Maroon are likely the casualty.

TL;DR you've now given him more money and gained no extra control for it. Props to Mike Luit on the finesse job. Gosh it feels good to be complaining again. :lol:
I think that this is the typical "bridge" deal that is given out, albeit with a much higher AAV than you see. This benefits both the player and the team, and to answer the question "why not go to arb?" the answer is, reward the player for the Cup run. Plus as someone else mentioned, maybe 50 didn't want a longer deal. Knowing him, he's betting on himself.

Another thing to think about here is the cap situation in 2 years. We have a ton of money coming off the books in 2 years (Allen, Steen, Bozak, Schwartz in particular). While a good chunk of that money will go to raises for several guys (Petro, Dunn, Thomas, Schenn, Schwartz?), there should be plenty of available dollars to sign Binnington long-term with a cheap back-up behind him. Probably can't go too crazy with an outside free agent though unless someone like Schwartz or Schenn leaves.

netboy65 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:59 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:33 am I’ve slept on this and I like this deal even less now. I don’t understand the “we need to see he wasn’t a fluke” logic. If that’s the case you give him a one year deal and still have RFA rights to him. Two years just makes no sense to me the more I think about it. Maybe it’s because I don’t see Binnington as being a fluke (I mean, how many SC winning goalies have been flukes? Niemi?) and I was totally comfortable if Army was going to give him $5.2 over 4 years. I just don’t get how you end up at a contract with Binnington that is both more than a “prove it” deal (as that would have been 1 year) and also less than a “we see you as our long term starter” deal (as that would’ve bought out UFA years).

Who knows. Maybe Binnington only wanted a two year deal. Just not a huge fan of this contract.

I'm not mad that the Blues re-signed JB50 obviously, but the contract is 100% a player contract and offers really no benefit for the team itself.

If he still needs to prove it, then you simply go to arb with him because he was already under team control for two more seasons. Now you still have him under team control for two more years, but at a higher aav than he would've gotten through arb.

The Blues are left with slightly more than 7 million left and are now handcuffed cap wise. That money somehow needs to be spread apart Husso, Barbs, SunnyD, and Eddy. I've seen it estimated that Barbs, Sunny, and Eddy will get that between just the three of them. And obviously, you're out on Maroon too. Every bit of money saved would've helped. Edmundson and Maroon are likely the casualty.

TL;DR you've now given him more money and gained no extra control for it. Props to Mike Luit on the finesse job. Gosh it feels good to be complaining again. :lol:
I think that this is the typical "bridge" deal that is given out, albeit with a much higher AAV than you see. This benefits both the player and the team, and to answer the question "why not go to arb?" the answer is, reward the player for the Cup run. Plus as someone else mentioned, maybe 50 didn't want a longer deal. Knowing him, he's betting on himself.
"Bridge" contracts typically do not run an RFA straight into UFA status. A "bridge" deal is what, previously at least, a RFA would get coming off of his entry level deal. Schwartz's contract history is a good example of a guy who got a "bridge" deal:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jaden-schwartz

First an entry level deal, then a 2-year bridge deal in which he is an RFA at the end still, and then a longer term extension. These types of deals are way less common now, but I don't think Binnington's deal can really be considered a "bridge" deal because its taking him straight into UFA years--not bridging him to another RFA deal.

Cujo's Mask wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:41 am Another thing to think about here is the cap situation in 2 years. We have a ton of money coming off the books in 2 years (Allen, Steen, Bozak, Schwartz in particular). While a good chunk of that money will go to raises for several guys (Petro, Dunn, Thomas, Schenn, Schwartz?), there should be plenty of available dollars to sign Binnington long-term with a cheap back-up behind him. Probably can't go too crazy with an outside free agent though unless someone like Schwartz or Schenn leaves.

This is the correct answer. Armstrong has always been good at staggering these contracts and that’s basically what he is doing. Guessing Allen is gone after one more season (if not before), which obviously frees up a lot of “goalie dollars” for Binnington. As it stands right now, the Blues are going to spend $8.8 million dollars on their NHL goalies this season. If Allen is gone after this season and replaced by Husso, then Binnington could sign a big, fat extension a year from now at big dollars and the total dollars dedicated to goalies could stay the same. If that happens, that means Binnington had an awesome season, so not exactly a bid outcome.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 am
netboy65 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:59 am

"Bridge" contracts typically do not run an RFA straight into UFA status. A "bridge" deal is what, previously at least, a RFA would get coming off of his entry level deal. Schwartz's contract history is a good example of a guy who got a "bridge" deal:

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jaden-schwartz

First an entry level deal, then a 2-year bridge deal in which he is an RFA at the end still, and then a longer term extension. These types of deals are way less common now, but I don't think Binnington's deal can really be considered a "bridge" deal because its taking him straight into UFA years--not bridging him to another RFA deal.
It's still "bridging" him from one status to another...so it's not the typical one, but since when has anything about JB50 been typical? I think that's been the problem, no one on either side knew exactly what to do. I'm still convinced it's Binny's side that didn't want longer than 2 years so as to bet on himself, and Army was easily talked into it because the Blues still want the "prove it". If he's still lights out, just give him Allen's money because he'll be up by then.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:22 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:43 pm

We were actually having an adult conversation and sharing opinions about something hockey/Blues related in the off-season. I found it enjoyable.

Feel free to join in at any point.
Are you the human embodiment of Twitter?
Are you the human embodiment of Facebook?
I am the final authority on everything.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:25 pm HEY HEY HEY...

Need I remind everyone that I am the resident Army basher here... i dont need assistance.

Thanks

Bill P lost his Army hating fastball after the Cup win, and now Ozzie is going to Wally Pip him.

As long as Bill P doesnt develop a "Bill P disease"... (I had to google wally pip)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Need I remind everyone that I am the resident Army basher here... i dont need assistance.

Thanks

Bill P lost his Army hating fastball after the Cup win, and now Ozzie is going to Wally Pip him.

Army is 100% my guy now. Man can do no wrong.

Take the song I Love L.A. and change it to I Love D.A.

I love D.A. (we love it)
I love D.A. (we love it)
I love D.A. (we love it)

BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks

I love D.A. (we love it)
I love D.A. (we love it)
I love D.A. (we love it)

OMG whats next, Tim shouting for the blues to draft someone from Kazakhstan? :twisted:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:35 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:07 pm

I love D.A. (we love it)
I love D.A. (we love it)
I love D.A. (we love it)
OMG whats next, Tim shouting for the blues to draft someone from Kazakhstan? :twisted:
Coffee out my nose ,thx

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:46 pm
barnburner wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:27 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:25 pm I have consistently not been a fan of contracts that don't buy out UFA years, so not a huge fan of this contract
Keep in mind, that Binnington pretty much had the leverage here. Why should he give up UFA years on this contract, when he has a chance to win big in two years? He's gambling that his performance will continue to be outstanding, and take him to the bank, big time.

If, and I don't believe it will happen, Binny becomes the second coming of Allen, Army will be hailed for being a genius for agreeing to a two year contract. :) :)
Binnington did not have all the leverage. He’s an an RFA with arbitration rights. If he was saying “2-year deal or bust”, Army should have just taken him to arbitration and gone with the one year deal that would have likely been a lower AAV than $4.4. It should have either been that—one year or 4, in my opinion. 4 you’re gonna have a higher AAV, but at least you’re buying out UFA years.

This is the best possible outcome for the player, which great for Binner and his agent. But this is the worst possible deal for the Blues. I don’t see how anyone can see this as a “compromise” because the Blues got basically the worse case scenario out of this deal.
When I talked about Binner having the leverage, I'm thinking two years down the road. Sure, Army has the hamnmer right now, but if Binner feels he got screwed, and continues to play at top level, in two years, he can walk, and go whever he chooses for the big money.