Re: 2019 Offseason signings, trades, news thread

BillP. wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 am
BluesSK wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:03 am Cya Bergie.
I like how Stastny is in the picture. Nice. Was hoping Bergie would get a tryout in the NHL. Maybe a year in Sweden is better for him before he tries back here.
I'd be very surprised if we ever saw Berglund playing in the NHL ever again. Mentally, emotionally, and even financially (I'm sure his name is worth more for endorsements in Sweden than any town over here), he's probably better off over there playing for Sweden. Wish him the best, but his time has gone. Don't forget he's 31 now, and would be 32 before start of 20/21 season.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:55 am
BillP. wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 am
BluesSK wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:03 am Cya Bergie.
I like how Stastny is in the picture. Nice. Was hoping Bergie would get a tryout in the NHL. Maybe a year in Sweden is better for him before he tries back here.
I'd be very surprised if we ever saw Berglund playing in the NHL ever again. Mentally, emotionally, and even financially (I'm sure his name is worth more for endorsements in Sweden than any town over here), he's probably better off over there playing for Sweden. Wish him the best, but his time has gone. Don't forget he's 31 now, and would be 32 before start of 20/21 season.
I agree. If anything his time to come back would have been this season to a team with a low pressure, low expectation situation.

BlueinNy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:16 am A man is only as good as his word, fuck him.
what 'word' did he break? From my understanding, his agent is the one who 'broke his word' by not acting fast enough to block the trade to the hockey hell that Buffalo is (not the fans or city, but there's obviously something wrong with that organization). Also, Berglund already paid the price by losing out on millions of dollars. And he did it for the sake of his mental and emotional health. I respect the fact he had the balls and awareness to 'break his word' if you like to call it that to preserve his sanity, and possibly his life.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

A DEAL WITH THE DEVILS: Alton’s Mermis signs NHL free agent contract with New Jersey

Pete Hayes, phayes@thetelegraph.com Updated 9:10 pm CDT, Tuesday, July 2, 2019

GODFREY — Dakota Mermis is having a devil of a summer, it turns out.

Alton native Mermis, who became an unrestricted NHL free agent July 1 is moving from the land of the cactus to become a Jersey boy. The 25-year-old Alton High grad on Monday signed a one-year free agent contract with the New Jersey Devils of the National Hockey League.

Mermis, a left-shooting defenseman, had played in the Arizona Coyotes organization the last three seasons, spending most of his time at the parent club’s American Hockey League affiliate in Tucson. Once the bidding process began for free agent players, Mermis already had a list of potential teams and he and his agent had fielded calls, once that became allowed.

“It’s all pretty quiet until the season ended,” Mermis said. “On (June) 24th, the phone lines open.”

Mermis said he’s looking ahead to a new chapter in his career.

“It’ll be different,” Mermis said, “but its a part of the business. I made a lot of good relationships in Arizona and I’ll miss those, but it’s exciting to get a fresh start.”

The Devils’ top farm club is in Binghamton, New York, about a two-hour drive from Newark, the home of the Devils.

“Training camp starts the second week in September,” he said. “Then we’ll see how it goes and who gets to stay up with the Devils.”

Mermis was named captain of the Tucson Roadrunners last season after serving as an alternate captain the prior season. Through 251 career regular-season AHL games from 2015-19, Mermis has 10 goals and 58 assists for 68 points and 227 penalty minutes. In addition, he has played in nine playoff games, scoring three goals and adding a pair of assists for five points.

Mermis was the 2012 Telegraph Prep Hockey Player of the Year. In 2017-18, he was called up twice by the parent Coyotes and saw action in nine games, including one in St. Louis against the Blues, his childhood NHL favorite team. The past season, he was called up three times to the parent club in Phoenix.

Mermis signed a standard three-year entry level contract with the Coyotes in July 0f 2015.

Prior to signing his entry level contract with the Coyotes, Mermis spent the previous three years playing in the Ontario Hockey League and helped lead the Oshawa General to the Memorial Cup championship.

Seven years ago, Dakota and older brother Jarrod Mermis spent time together playing at the University of Denver.

At age 16, Dakota had been appointed to the prestigious U.S. National Development Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., playing for the under-17 team when older brother Jarrod, also a former Alton High Redbirds player, began his career at the University of Denver.

Dakota was selected to the U.S. Hockey Developmental program and he made the decision to leave Alton and pursue his dream following his sophomore year at Alton High. He attended high schools in Green Bay, Wisconsin and in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He stayed with host families in in the towns his teams were based in for a shot at someday getting a chance to play in the National Hockey League.

“Everyone in our family is thrilled,” Mermis said. “It’ll be a fresh take and a new level of excitement.”

https://www.thetelegraph.com/sports/art ... 067957.php

BillP. wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:03 pm Go Bergevin!!!!

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
Multiple teams have considered pursuing Marner, including the NY Islanders & Montreal. Hearing Islanders are serious about pursuit, while Canadiens may be focused on Laine. Whether Isles, or another team, move forward with an offer sheet remains to be seen.

12:35 PM - Jul 5, 2019
Was just coming to post this but Kouliak and Laughlin were just talking about it on NHL radio about Islanders and Marner saying there is a lot of smoke to it.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:23 pm

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
Multiple teams have considered pursuing Marner, including the NY Islanders & Montreal. Hearing Islanders are serious about pursuit, while Canadiens may be focused on Laine. Whether Isles, or another team, move forward with an offer sheet remains to be seen.

Was just coming to post this but Kouliak and Laughlin were just talking about it on NHL radio about Islanders and Marner saying there is a lot of smoke to it.
What would it cost the Islanders? Is Marner the type of guy you would build a team around?

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod

The Islanders poaching Marner would be sooooooooooooo juicy for obvious reasons. It'd be nice for Lou to steal somebody else's young star right after we won the Cup.

Laine is so fascinating. He's easily the biggest risk in terms of the huge RFAs. Could score 50 next year, could score 25. If the Habs put together a big offer it'd be really interesting to see what the Jets did.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm So if Sakic gets bold and offers 12m per year to Marner, are the Avs SC favorites next year? They’d have to pay MacKinnon big money for sure but that team would be loaded. The firsts they’d give up to sign Marner would all be late first rd picks. No real loss there.
Personally, I’d love if Colorado gave up four first rounders and still managed to somehow suck for the next few years (unlikely, I know).

Besides the Hawks, the Avs and Devils will always be my least favorite teams. During the 2001 finals I was hoping for a meteor to strike.

Scruffy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:22 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:28 pm So if Sakic gets bold and offers 12m per year to Marner, are the Avs SC favorites next year? They’d have to pay MacKinnon big money for sure but that team would be loaded. The firsts they’d give up to sign Marner would all be late first rd picks. No real loss there.
Personally, I’d love if Colorado gave up four first rounders and still managed to somehow suck for the next few years (unlikely, I know).

Besides the Hawks, the Avs and Devils will always be my least favorite teams. During the 2001 finals I was hoping for a meteor to strike.
I personally was rooting for them for #77. MacInnis was my favorite but Bourque was easily my 2nd favorite.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!