Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

big d note wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:23 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:33 am
MattyIce wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:27 am

And I think their home record during the playoffs was historically poor as well
As was not having a skater who'd previously won the Cup. First time since mid 90's I think it was ;)
I keep seeing this stat mentioned, but didn't SunnyD win it with Pittsburgh?
Yeah, SunnyD is a technicality. He has a ring from Pittsburgh, but didn't meet the games played requirement to get his name on the cup (you have to play a certain number of regular season games OR at least one game in the SC final). So, if you're going by players with their name on the Cup, its kind of true. I say kind of, because Jordan Nolan has his name on the cup--but obviously didn't play at all in the final.

Boom-Boom for two more years!

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/gunnarss ... g_qQxQqYnw

ST. LOUIS - Defenseman Carl Gunnarsson has agreed to a two-year contract with the St. Louis Blues worth $3.5 million ($1.75 million per year).

Gunnarsson, who would have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will remain with the Blues through the 2020-21 season.

The 32-year-old native of Oreobro, Sweden played in 25 games with the Blues last season, posting three goals and four assists. In Game 2 in Boston, Gunnarsson scored the overtime game-winner against the Bruins to give the Blues their first-ever win in the Stanley Cup Final.

In a 10-year NHL career that has spanned 581 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Blues, Gunnarsson has posted 28 goals, 101 assists (129 points) and 157 penalty minutes
"Do Only Good Everyday"

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:25 pm
Gm's are idiots. Brouwer didn't fit in Calgary because of the style they played. And Brouwer has more in speed and skill than Maroon so now Calgary is eyeing Maroon. Maroon is a fit in St. Louis because Berube has them playing old school hockey. How many teams in the NHL play like the Blues? You can probably count them on one hand. Good for the Blues. Win the Cup and fuck up the other teams rosters as they try to copy you and open the door for a repeat. Let's go for two!!

BillP. wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 pm
Gm's are idiots. Brouwer didn't fit in Calgary because of the style they played. And Brouwer has more in speed and skill than Maroon so now Calgary is eyeing Maroon. Maroon is a fit in St. Louis because Berube has them playing old school hockey. How many teams in the NHL play like the Blues? You can probably count them on one hand. Good for the Blues. Win the Cup and fuck up the other teams rosters as they try to copy you and open the door for a repeat. Let's go for two!!
Honestly, I hope he goes for the money. The Blues didn't win because of him, they won because of how they used him in their system.

He is replaceable.

I would totally understand if Maroon went for the cash. His place in St. Louis Blues & sports history is set. He signed with his hometown team at a discount, scored one of the most important goals in the history of the franchise and helped the team win their first Stanley Cup. He only has one contract left in him so he might as well make the most of it.

Tough decision for Maroon. On one hand, it will be incredibly difficult to leave here after what happened this past season. On the other hand, how can you possibly top what happened? If he takes the biggest contract, good for him and he will always be a fan favorite here. But if Army can give him a little more money and make him happy with say, a 2-year deal, then I hope he is back. He definitely adds something more to this team than simply his on ice performance.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:32 pm
Honestly, I hope he goes for the money. The Blues didn't win because of him, they won because of how they used him in their system.

He is replaceable.
C'mon, how soon we forget the double overtime goal in Gm 7. We definitely don't win this thing without him. C'mon!

Matangama wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:02 pm Tough decision for Maroon. On one hand, it will be incredibly difficult to leave here after what happened this past season. On the other hand, how can you possibly top what happened? If he takes the biggest contract, good for him and he will always be a fan favorite here. But if Army can give him a little more money and make him happy with say, a 2-year deal, then I hope he is back. He definitely adds something more to this team than simply his on ice performance.
Agreed. He looked like the team's biggest cheerleader in the locker room on "Quest for the Stanley Cup" constantly encouraging the guys. We don't always get the chance to see the intangibles that various players bring to the team.

BillP. wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:06 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:32 pm

He is replaceable.
C'mon, how soon we forget the double overtime goal in Gm 7. We definitely don't win this thing without him. C'mon!
:D

I'm not saying what he did for the team won't be appreciated but I'm positive Armstrong has a price limit and he won't go over it.

I really think the Blues have a good chance to win another Cup over the next two seasons and the players have to decide for themselves whether to sacrifice some money for glory.

Brouwer got 4 years @ $4.5 mil from Calgary after his stint with the Blues. I don't think Maroon will command as much (Brouwer DID get bought out after just 2 seasons on that deal), but he can probably make a LOT more elsewhere than the Blues will be able to offer him, especially as we try to lock up Pietrangelo and Schenn past next season, if we can. While I'll be sorry to see Maroon go to another team, if he can land a contract like that, I'll be sincerely happy for him!

RAFritchey wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:41 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:32 pm Maroon ain't moving as long as his kid is here.hell sign a home town deal for two years.
Or he could sign a 4 x $4.5mil deal, like Brouwer did (See my post above), and then sign for $850 k when he gets bought out in 2 years, like Brouwer did, to finish his career and retire here. :)
That's the ticket.

I think Maroon was returning to form as opposed to improving. He underwent surgery last May to repair a herniated disc in his back and it took half a season to get back to his normal self. I think what we saw down the stretch and playoffs is the real Maroon, not what we saw in the beginning. Similar to Bouwmeester's season while recovering from hip surgery.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:58 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:41 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:32 pm Maroon ain't moving as long as his kid is here.hell sign a home town deal for two years.
Or he could sign a 4 x $4.5mil deal, like Brouwer did (See my post above), and then sign for $850 k when he gets bought out in 2 years, like Brouwer did, to finish his career and retire here. :)
That's the ticket.
I was previously of the mind that this might be the route for Backes, but he appears to have very little in the tank.