Re: Jake the back up

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:00 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:51 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:13 am I'm totally fine with Allen in a back-up roll.
That’s a lot of cap space for a back-up.
It is....but you could go out looking for a cheaper alternative and never find it....remember Chad Johnson?
Having 8 or so mil tied up in goalies really isn't that crazy. If Binner gets hurt, it's nice to have a guy who has carried the work load back there to keep the ship afloat. Plus, you need a guy who can start 25 games throughout the year. They won't want Husso riding pine next year as a back up either. I'm cool with it unless you find someone who really wants him. I definitely would prefer them to hang onto Allen versus giving up assets just to move him.
KA-KAW!

LeBrun had a piece that mentioned GMs were calling to check on Allen's availability since 2 years at $4.35M is a lot easier to swallow than what they'd have to pay a UFA goalie this summer. He said that Armstrong was rebuffing those calls. So it sounds like unless a GM pays a steep price (relatively of course), the goalie tandem next season will be Binnington/Allen again. Fine by me.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 am Is he gonna be content to ride the pine for the rest of his career? I kinda doubt it.
Kind of agree with this. He was a good little soldier about it this year. But I'm sure he still has the utmost confidence in himself to be a starter and that's what he probably wants to be. Not sit for the next two years watching the guy who stole his job from him.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 am LeBrun had a piece that mentioned GMs were calling to check on Allen's availability since 2 years at $4.35M is a lot easier to swallow than what they'd have to pay a UFA goalie this summer. He said that Armstrong was rebuffing those calls. So it sounds like unless a GM pays a steep price (relatively of course), the goalie tandem next season will be Binnington/Allen again. Fine by me.
I'm surprised Army isn't jumping on those calls. But hey, who am I to argue. Army is King :)

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 am Is he gonna be content to ride the pine for the rest of his career? I kinda doubt it.
Kind of agree with this. He was a good little soldier about it this year. But I'm sure he still has the utmost confidence in himself to be a starter and that's what he probably wants to be. Not sit for the next two years watching the guy who stole his job from him.
If he wants to salvage his career, it will have to be somewhere else... if he rides out this contract on the bench, his next one will be for a fraction of this one.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:42 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:40 am LeBrun had a piece that mentioned GMs were calling to check on Allen's availability since 2 years at $4.35M is a lot easier to swallow than what they'd have to pay a UFA goalie this summer. He said that Armstrong was rebuffing those calls. So it sounds like unless a GM pays a steep price (relatively of course), the goalie tandem next season will be Binnington/Allen again. Fine by me.
I'm surprised Army isn't jumping on those calls. But hey, who am I to argue. Army is King :)
I imagine he's comfortable with the current tandem, but would be willing to deal him for the right price. Teams get weird and desperate about goalies sometimes, so if they like Jake, you might as well not give him away for cheap.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

If I'm DA I have a heart to heart with Jake and Berube, and if Jake is cool with getting 25-30 starts and continuing to mentor JB50, then keep him for sure. And from everything we've ever heard about Jake is that he is a very cool and team first guy. And that's the character that got us our first Cup, so I'm good if DA, Berube, and Jake are good. And who knows, maybe it keeps some needed pressure on Binnington.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:44 am If I'm DA I have a heart to heart with Jake and Berube, and if Jake is cool with getting 25-30 starts and continuing to mentor JB50, then keep him for sure. And from everything we've ever heard about Jake is that he is a very cool and team first guy. And that's the character that got us our first Cup, so I'm good if DA, Berube, and Jake are good. And who knows, maybe it keeps some needed pressure on Binnington.
It was mentioned more than once how Allen cowed to the back-up role for Binnington, so he that shouldn't be an issue.

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:08 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:44 am If I'm DA I have a heart to heart with Jake and Berube, and if Jake is cool with getting 25-30 starts and continuing to mentor JB50, then keep him for sure. And from everything we've ever heard about Jake is that he is a very cool and team first guy. And that's the character that got us our first Cup, so I'm good if DA, Berube, and Jake are good. And who knows, maybe it keeps some needed pressure on Binnington.
It was mentioned more than once how Allen cowed to the back-up role for Binnington, so he that shouldn't be an issue.
yep, I wouldn't think so. But that was last season, and as others have mentioned, maybe he is concerned about his long term career, so there could be come worry he may not be as much of a team player. But yeah, I don't sense that, but hey, we never know. There was like maybe one or two folks on this forum that up until the WCF who were defending Petro as a great defenseman and Captain. IOW, we know Jack; it's all speculation and fan hoopla from us.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:00 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:51 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:13 am I'm totally fine with Allen in a back-up roll.
That’s a lot of cap space for a back-up.
It is....but you could go out looking for a cheaper alternative and never find it....remember Chad Johnson?
Ironically, there's a fairly good chance that the Blues would not have won a Cup had they not signed Chad Johnson. If Johnson were competent and/or Husso stayed healthy, Binnington may never have seen the light of day in 18/19. He may have even ended up odd man out like Bishop was.

But I digress.... Prior to striking gold with Binnington, Armstrong's track record for finding starting goaltending was abysmal. However, his track record for finding excellent, reasonably priced backup goaltending has been outstanding. With the exception of Johnson, the Blues have always managed to get solid back-up goaltending - arguably the best in the league. I like Allen a lot as a backup goalie, but I trust Armstrong to find someone cheaper than Allen who can do the job. I'd be willing to roll the dice on that and apply the $1m-$2m in savings elsewhere.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:21 pm If Jake is making 4.35 to sit on his ass.... what will an arbitrator award Binner
I don't think a good arbitrator would look at that. There are ton's of overpaid players. I mean, I think the concensus is that he gets anywhere from 3.5-6M depending on term. Jake's 4.35 is right in the lower-middle range of that, so if anything, maybe it helps keep the cost down. Binnington while he has some leverage, also doesn't have a ton to work with. I honestly think a 4.5/5 or a 5/3 type deal gets worked out, and that would be great IMHO.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Matangama wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 pm If I’m Jake, I could be pretty content with playing 25-30 games and making $4.35 million for each of the next two years. Can’t say that’s a bad gig at all!
Hell, I would be happy making a career out of that plus winning Cups!

I know the knock on Armstrong was that he couldn't solidify goaltending, but at least twice in the recent past the Blues actually led the league in overall SV% with tandems of Halak/Elliott and Allen/Elliott. Finding a goalie who's consistently great year-to-year has been a problem, but then, there aren't many who are. In fact, we're still not sure Binnington is one of those yet! (keeping fingers crossed.)

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:47 pm I know the knock on Armstrong was that he couldn't solidify goaltending, but at least twice in the recent past the Blues actually led the league in overall SV% with tandems of Halak/Elliott and Allen/Elliott. Finding a goalie who's consistently great year-to-year has been a problem, but then, there aren't many who are. In fact, we're still not sure Binnington is one of those yet! (keeping fingers crossed.)
This problem also was on coach cake eater bc the tandem worked all year then playoffs they scrapped it.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!