Re: JB50 Contract

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:20 am How many more seasons is Binnington an RFA? Two?

If it is I offer 2 x $5M and see how it goes. Then he either breaks the bank or it's... something else. ;)
Yes, 2.

Do you really want to just lead him to UFA in 2 years? I'd be much more comfortable signing him to a longer term and 'buying out' UFA years. But I have a bit more faith in him then I guess others.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 am
BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:20 am How many more seasons is Binnington an RFA? Two?

If it is I offer 2 x $5M and see how it goes. Then he either breaks the bank or it's... something else. ;)
Yes, 2.

Do you really want to just lead him to UFA in 2 years? I'd be much more comfortable signing him to a longer term and 'buying out' UFA years. But I have a bit more faith in him then I guess others.
Yeah. I do because I want to be sure I want to sign him to a long term contract after that. Binnington's strength as a goalie isn't his skills, it's his compete level. If I am Armstrong I want him to be my guy for a very long time.

Currently a two year contract would take him to age 27. If everything pans out after that I want to sign him for seven or eight more which would take him to age 34-35. So I want to be damn sure.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:27 am

Yes, 2.

Yeah. I do because I want to be sure I want to sign him to a long term contract after that. Binnington's strength as a goalie isn't his skills, it's his compete level. If I am Armstrong I want him to be my guy for a very long time.

Currently a two year contract would take him to age 27. If everything pans out after that I want to sign him for seven or eight more which would take him to age 34-35. So I want to be damn sure.
If the bold is what Army wants, no way he signs him for only 2 years. 2 years takes Binnington to UFA and he could leave and play anywhere else.

Yes, 2.

Wait, what?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:55 am

Yes, 2.

Wait, what?
Don't get me wrong. He is a very good goalie in both skill and technically but what's most important is what is going on between his ears.

Look at his stats in games 5, 6 and 7's vs. his relatively average stats in games 1-4's. That's what I want to find out definitively if I am Armstrong.

If he gets to being able to sign with another team, so what? He's either going to want to stay with the Blues or not. You didn't see Martin Brodeur chasing money either.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Wait, what?
Don't get me wrong. He is a very good goalie in both skill and technically but what's most important is what is going on between his ears.

Look at his stats in games 5, 6 and 7's vs. his relatively average stats in games 1-4's. That's what I want to find out definitively if I am Armstrong.

If he gets to being able to sign with another team, so what? He's either going to want to stay with the Blues or not. You didn't see Martin Brodeur chasing money either.
Well the "so what" would be that you've literally been waiting your entire franchise history for a goalie to help lead you to a cup. I wouldn't say "so what" if he ended up leaving.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Wait, what?

Well the "so what" would be that you've literally been waiting your entire franchise history for a goalie to help lead you to a cup. I wouldn't say "so what" if he ended up leaving.
We only have him guaranteed for two more seasons anyways. What are we going to do if he doesn't want to stay? Tie him up? Hold his family hostage? I think you want to make it as amicable as possible so he wants to stay. If he's Jesus Christ of goaltending the Blues will pay what it takes.

That's why you try and sign him long-term now, while still a RFA. But no way do you go two years and then let him go to the 'highest bidder'. Sorry, players (those in their prime...not 35+ y/o) are loyal as long as the contract is in effect and the $$$ are paid. To think anything different is being naive. No offense, but the only time a player takes a 'home town discount' is if they are coming off an injury, they are older, or they a truly a 'home town player' like with Maroon....who pretty much fit all three of those.

Binnington may 'love it' here, may feel loved here, etc, but if on July 1, 2021 he isn't signed by the Blues, he will be signed somewhere for a LOT of $$$....as long as he projects as we expect/hope. Personally, I'd rather take the gamble and give him $5/5 or even $5.5/4.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

BluesSK wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:23 pm

We only have him guaranteed for two more seasons anyways. What are we going to do if he doesn't want to stay? Tie him up? Hold his family hostage? I think you want to make it as amicable as possible so he wants to stay. If he's Jesus Christ of goaltending the Blues will pay what it takes.
You sign him to a long term contract now. But tying him up is a good fall back plan.

Everyone is sort of highlighting what makes this such a bizarre case. Binnington was SO good since he made it up to the big club and turned in the best Cup Final Game 7 performance I can ever remember from a goalie (I'm sure there are other fantastic performances, so feel free to highlight those for fun). At the same time, Allen contract PTSD is real, and frankly, relevant. Binnington is not Jake by any means in terms of makeup, but Armstrong's logic in locking him up long term a bit earlier than he had to is exactly why his contract sucks now. If Allen had developed as well as Armstrong and the Blues brass had hoped, his deal would be a bargain.

Again, I'm not saying Binnington will implode like Allen did, but I 100% understand the hesitation to go long term with Binnington. Never forget that goalies are voodoo. I'd still try to lock him down for 4-5 years though.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

big d note wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:50 pm A lot of the core players are locked in for the next 3-4 years. I think you try to get Binnington signed for 4 years too and hope to have as much success as possible within that timeframe with this group of players.
I like this, if he falters, he'll be out with the current core and we go through a re-tool.