Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:08 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:14 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:55 pm Are there any free agents you guys want to target or is it just about bringing mostly the same team back?
All depends on what we do with Gunnar and Jed but Ben Chiarot is a player that I'd be very interested in and I'd kick the tires on Corey Perry. If you can get him on the cheap with a one year deal, he could be a real bargain. If he doesn't work out, you can drop him down to 3rd or 4th line minutes and put him on the PP.
Picking up Chiarot would hurt the Jets more too which is good. If we can send Jed somewhere I'd be all for that.
At this point, I want kids that the blues already own to show up an force someone out... Jed may have had an off year, but physical play won the cup. Until someone tougher than him comes along, I don’t want to fuck with much.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 pm

All depends on what we do with Gunnar and Jed but Ben Chiarot is a player that I'd be very interested in and I'd kick the tires on Corey Perry. If you can get him on the cheap with a one year deal, he could be a real bargain. If he doesn't work out, you can drop him down to 3rd or 4th line minutes and put him on the PP.
Picking up Chiarot would hurt the Jets more too which is good. If we can send Jed somewhere I'd be all for that.
At this point, I want kids that the blues already own to show up an force someone out... Jed may have had an off year, but physical play won the cup. Until someone tougher than him comes along, I don’t want to fuck with much.
Chiarot is a physical defenseman. Similar size to Jed (6-3 vs 6-4, same weight basically). Chiarot had 171 hits last year.

I agree with Turk. I think internal growth is what Army will envision for next year. But I would like to add a winger on the cheap who plays heavy and can score. A guy like Brouwer who really played well for the Panthers last year would be an option. If he’s available for another million, I would take him.

I tend to agree. It wasn't very long ago that he was considered our #3 dman. Let's see what Jed can do after a training camp under Berube. He's got the skills and attitude. I'd rather see him return to form here, than somewhere else. If someone comes along and beats him out of a job, fine, but if not, he deserves another shot.

I'm always day dreaming about the youngsters. Who is going to make the team next year. Who is going to step up. Lots of good stories to look forward to.

How much better can Sunny and Barbs get?

Will Thomas have a sophmore slump or will he break out?

Can Walman Rienke or Mikkola make the team? (Mikkola looked real good at the world's)

Was it just me or did anybody eles see a little bit of David Backes in the way Sammy Blais plays the game? Chief is the perfect coach for Sammy.

Gunnar is probably going to have a lot of options. Can't imagine Armstrong will be able to offer him the best deal, but hey maybe he loves it here. I'll never blame a guy for chasing top dollar, especially if that is responsible for the GWG in the first Blues Cup Final win ever. If gunnar does re-sign I wonder if that increases the odds we move a D.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I doubt either of them get's resigned; but the Butler will, again, remain a 'hometown' bubble hero :)

Also, expect Mikkola to get a strong look in camp too, per DA: "After signing defensemen Jay Bouwmeester and Robert Bortuzzo to new contracts during the season, it seems doubtful Gunnarsson returns to the Blues.

There’s another factor at play, too. Namely, there are players who spent most or all of last season in San Antonio who will be pushing for Blues roster spots this fall, including defenseman Niko Mikkola.

“Mikkola, a young Finnish player, went to the Worlds,” Armstrong said. “His team beat Canada, won the championship. I think he was voted on of the top three players. He’s someone that we think is really ready to push. He’s done two World Championships now.

“(Forward) Jordan Kyrou is a player that we had high expectations for and did well this year. Got injured, had knee surgery. So he’s healing up now and should be ready for (preseason) camp.

“There’s other players, too, that are starting to push. . . . You know, our younger players are our future.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/ ... c2a89.html
"Do Only Good Everyday"

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:33 pm All RFAs except for Bleackly and Soshnikov we’re qualified. Soshnikov already bolted for the KHL and I guess the Blues didn’t care about retaining his rights. What a waste of a trade
Eh, I was all for it. Sosh had the willingness and even the skill to be a decent bottom 6 guy, but his body just could not hold up to the NA physical style that he was playing.