Re: Confirmed: Blues Trade for ROR

Doug Glatt wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:14 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:28 pm I think we can say it now...this was the greatest trade in all of Blues history, period.
Franchise changing.
The only trades I can think of that even come close are the Hull and Demitra trades. Hull because they got a first-ballot HOFer at the very beginning of his career, and Demitra because they gave up next to nothing.

But, if ROR is even decent for the rest of his contract, this one has to beat them all.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 pm Was reading over at the asylum and there's actual bickering over whether we can call this trade a win yet. :shock: :lol: :lol:
I bet I can guess how this is going...

There is some poster who, at the time the ROR trade was made, hated it, either because he didn't like ROR as a player or was in love with Sobotka or something. Despite not changing his opinion in the face of all the evidence that he was wrong, he continues to double down on it because people over there simply cannot admit when they were wrong.
Last edited by UMSLBlues12 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:30 pm
ratonmono wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 pm Was reading over at the asylum and there's actual bickering over whether we can call this trade a win yet. :shock: :lol: :lol:
I bet I can guess how this is going...

There is some poster who, at the time the ROR trade was made, hated it, either because he didn't like ROR as a player or was in love with Sobotka or something. Despite changing his opinion in the face of all the evidence that he was wrong, he continues to double down on it because people over there simply cannot admit when they were wrong.
Haha I didn't dig that deep into the posts but yeah I'm sure that's about the gist of it.

I had looked at the Hawks thread on Bowman. And some poster compared getting Strome to ROR. And a guy responded back saying Bowman actually gave up an asset for Strome. He said when Stanley can get a player like ROR for 2 cap casualties, a late first, a late 2nd, and a bad prospect, then we can talk. Ha

So it's always possible that Buffalo lands a gem at 31 that ends up having a HOF career. If that happens I still think you can only call the trade a push, since ROR just led the team to it's first Cup and should continue to kick ass for the foreseeable future. I was a little worried about acquiring ROR around this time last year. Wasn't crazy about the Tim Horton's incident and I was worried about what the pricetag ended up being. Given that it ended up being a first round pick and a pile of cigarette butts, I believe I was rather pleased after the trade went down.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 pm Just for fun:

Toronto offers the Blues:

Mitch Marner.......for............... ROR, Kyrou and Kostin.

Does anyone take this?
Pass. Marner is a hell of a player, but no. Aside from Marner's impact only arguably being greater than ROR's, he instantly creates cap problems that aren't there now. Plus we're back to missing a top line center again. I don't miss that feeling.

I know the kid is great and all, and I'll admit I haven't watched much Maple Leaf hockey, but is Marner really THAT good? I mean he's has progressed every year, and puts up the points, but IMHO, if i was going to take anyone from the Maple Leafs and pay a heavy price for it would be Auston Matthews. Since we're dreaming: Schenn, JEd, Kyrou, 2020 1st for Matthews (yeah, I know that may not be enough even)

Schwartz/Matthews/Tarasenko
Blais/ROR/DP
Maroon/Bozak/Thomas
Steen/SunnyD/Barbs-Kostin-MacMac-etc.

my thinking is just that if you are going to 'go big' , you need to actually go big and go down the middle and keep building depth at Center. Marner is like 6 180 lbs....Matthews has some size to him at 6'3 and 220lbs.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:44 pm I know the kid is great and all, and I'll admit I haven't watched much Maple Leaf hockey, but is Marner really THAT good? I mean he's has progressed every year, and puts up the points, but IMHO, if i was going to take anyone from the Maple Leafs and pay a heavy price for it would be Auston Matthews. Since we're dreaming: Schenn, JEd, Kyrou, 2020 1st for Matthews (yeah, I know that may not be enough even)

Schwartz/Matthews/Tarasenko
Blais/ROR/DP
Maroon/Bozak/Thomas
Steen/SunnyD/Barbs-Kostin-MacMac-etc.

my thinking is just that if you are going to 'go big' , you need to actually go big and go down the middle and keep building depth at Center. Marner is like 6 180 lbs....Matthews has some size to him at 6'3 and 220lbs.
Marner is crazy good offensively, but doesn't bring much to the table defensively. He's also benefitted from playing on either Matthews or Tavares's wing for the bulk of his career. Again, craaaaaazy skilled and fun to watch, but I agree if I'm paying a king's ransom I want a center that can play all 200 feet.

So with ROR, we have a center who can play in all three zones, with excellent defense and faceoff skills, play on all special teams, put up nearly a point per game, be a leader on and off the ice, play consistently all season long, raise his game to MVP level in the playoffs, is only 28 and locked up for $7.5 mil AAV for the next 4 years. There certainly aren't many of those around in the NHL, especially those last couple of items (age, contract)!

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 pm So with ROR, we have a center who can play in all three zones, with excellent defense and faceoff skills, play on all special teams, put up nearly a point per game, be a leader on and off the ice, play consistently all season long, raise his game to MVP level in the playoffs, is only 28 and locked up for $7.5 mil AAV for the next 4 years. There certainly aren't many of those around in the NHL, especially those last couple of items (age, contract)!
Yeah, Tank and ROR locked up for another 4 years at 7.5M and we’re SC Champs. Army is looking like the best GM in hockey right now. King of the NHL.