Re: GDT: SCF Game 1: St Louis Blues at Boston - 7:00 - NBC - Mon 5/27

barcthespark wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:41 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:22 pm I really didn't like the Krug hit on Thomas. If that would have been a Bruin getting levelled like that we would have gotten a penalty, guaranteed.
I'm not saying the Blues are saints by any means because they're not, but at the risk of sounding like "that guy" I do think the calls went against the Blues tonight. I was really hoping that when we reached the Finals the refs would let the players play and not call ticky-tack penalties, but only those things that affected scoring chances or obvious penalties (I'm looking at you Perron). Both the Bruins and Blues are physical teams that have earned the right to finish checks and give the odd face wash, so I would prefer the refs call only the egregious penalties that affect the play/flow of the game.
The calls went against the Blues in every game up until game six of the WCF.

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:54 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:37 pm The sky is falling!!!!
I agree it’s only 1 game, but when the Bruins turned it on, Blues couldn’t hang. I say Blues will have to forego the rumble and treat Boston like a speed, finesse team and defend more.
I wasn't really impressed with Boston.
I was. When they finally got used to playing again (start of Period2), they won most of the races to the puck, kept bringing the puck into The Blues' zone, under control, and got scoring chance after chance. Their forecheck forced lots of errors by The Blues, making them panic, and give up the puck by just clearing it to the neutral zone, or turning it over. That's what won them the game. The Blues are capable of adjusting to that in Game 2, but it's nor guaranteed that they will. I hope they do, and would bet they do. But then, The Bruins will adjust to whatever The Blues do. It should be a long series. I just hope The Blues end up winning it.

BluesSK wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:22 pm I really didn't like the Krug hit on Thomas. If that would have been a Bruin getting levelled like that we would have gotten a penalty, guaranteed.
I'm not saying the Blues are saints by any means because they're not, but at the risk of sounding like "that guy" I do think the calls went against the Blues tonight. I was really hoping that when we reached the Finals the refs would let the players play and not call ticky-tack penalties, but only those things that affected scoring chances or obvious penalties (I'm looking at you Perron). Both the Bruins and Blues are physical teams that have earned the right to finish checks and give the odd face wash, so I would prefer the refs call only the egregious penalties that affect the play/flow of the game.
I didn't like the penalty on Thomas.... that same play happens a kazillion times and it's not a penalty... didn't like the interference call on Blais either... the rest I didn't have a problem with... still trying to figure out how the zebras missed Chara chopping Bozak's stick in two, though.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:30 pm
I didn't like the penalty on Thomas.... that same play happens a kazillion times and it's not a penalty... didn't like the interference call on Blais either... the rest I didn't have a problem with... still trying to figure out how the zebras missed Chara chopping Bozak's stick in two, though.
According to Twitter Krug and Backes loved knocking Thomas out of the game. They reveled in it. That's all we need to know about this series. Kill or be killed.

In retrospect, I would hope someone would knock Backes out of the series, but to be honest, he's a non-factor so....

barcthespark wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:48 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:30 pm

According to Twitter Krug and Backes loved knocking Thomas out of the game. They reveled in it. That's all we need to know about this series. Kill or be killed.

In retrospect, I would hope someone would knock Backes out of the series, but to be honest, he's a non-factor so....
They want to take runs at our young guys? Fine.

I want the Blues to run the five Dmen not named Zdeno.

Backes is a non factor. Guys need to forget about him.

BlueinNy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:43 am Your right Turk, that Thomas hook happens on every shift, in real time not slo-mo his stick wasn't in his midsection more than a second. Bottom lineis that we aren't going to get any calls playing defense for 2 full periods.
This;

Good news is it is a seven game series, and as I noted pre-game, we have bounced back from a loss in the first game of a series before. Also, good news, Binnington played great, and our top line scored twice on Rask, so they know they can beat him.

Bad news is if they play like this, they will continue to lose. Got to skate and move the puck quicker and smarter. Those dumb penalties and turnovers were killers last night.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

39hurricane wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 am Let's Go Blues!!!

Side note: I passed the FAA Certified Flight Instructor checkride boys! I am a flight instructor. And I got hired by Rocky Mountain Flight School in Colorado. It's fate. It's destiny. Just need the boys to put the cherry on top.
hey congrats man!
BillP. wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:17 pm Heard Boomer take the Blues in 6. Says the Blues forechecking will be too much for a Bruins. Says Blues are too close to not finish job and deserve to win at home. For the record, he took Blues over Tampa before playoffs. Hope he’s right.
if the blues played their game, he's right. they didn't last night.
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:14 pm The EA simulation results are in.
hope that just has games 1 & 2 swapped.
stlblues1226 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:15 pm
insideout wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 pm Hey Dennis, didn't Bill Hicks already make that commercial? Bitch.
Now that's funny as hell.
my guys. <3
that was ridiculous. the NBC crew talking about how it was a clean hit, how krug didn't leave his feet, while watching the play in slow motion with krug flying through the air like superman. such a hard-on for boston. officiating was not good. really bad. like, probably the worst i've seen in the playoffs so far. if you're not going to call stuff, don't. if you are, do. be consistent at least. yes, the blues got away with tons of stuff too (perron basically tackling people in the offensive zone, as an example), but then the most ticky-tack play gets called later? come on. which is it?

reading this thread the next morning was depressing as i knew where it was going. i shared your enthusiasm after the beginning of the game, but man did the team funnel. the only line that had anything going for the blues was the top line. they were a better team when the other three lines were going and the top line contributed. regardless, it wasn't a very good hockey game. it didn't have the speed, intensity, or desperation of previous rounds, from either side. i understand there is a feeling-out process (for some reason), but if they blues hope to survive this, they have simply got to get back to every person giving 100% every shift, going 100mph north, playing that shift like it's his last on earth. blais and maroon in particular need to get back to finishing their checks and "hitting with purpose", not chasing hits. start laying some mother fuckers out.

and holy shit, the turnovers. eddy had a terrible game. responsible for at least one if not two of those goals. have to pull him out, he's not in the right mindset for this. binner should have had that second goal, at minimum. that was a bad one to let in. and that penalty, what the fuck was sunny d (i think) thinking? why would you cross-check someone directly into the boards, away from the play, right in front of an official? so stupid. and again, eddy on backes. while backes sold that to be sure, it shouldn't have happened. then cross-checking his shoulder again when he's on his hands and knees? lucky he didn't take a second penalty there. chief needs to get these guys back on the same page. so much time off wasn't good for either team. i feel like if the game took place two days after the previous game, the blues would have played the way they were, not like this. once they started making mistakes, boston woke right up and made them pay.

on the plus side, this reminded me a lot of game one in san jose, and that turned out ok. get it together boys!

merging the other GDT with this one now.

Robb_K wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:16 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:54 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm

I agree it’s only 1 game, but when the Bruins turned it on, Blues couldn’t hang. I say Blues will have to forego the rumble and treat Boston like a speed, finesse team and defend more.
I wasn't really impressed with Boston.
I was. When they finally got used to playing again (start of Period2), they won most of the races to the puck, kept bringing the puck into The Blues' zone, under control, and got scoring chance after chance. Their forecheck forced lots of errors by The Blues, making them panic, and give up the puck by just clearing it to the neutral zone, or turning it over. That's what won them the game. The Blues are capable of adjusting to that in Game 2, but it's nor guaranteed that they will. I hope they do, and would bet they do. But then, The Bruins will adjust to whatever The Blues do. It should be a long series. I just hope The Blues end up winning it.
I tend to agree. Boston is a clear step up over anybody we have played in these playoffs. If we knock off the dumb ass penalties, we have a chance by playing 5 on 5. But if the Blues want to take the Cup, they are going to have to prove they are willing to pay the price. Chief has his work cut out for him.

I hate seeing a Blues player hit like that, but it was a solid hit. Blues just have to give back, while staying disciplined. And yeah, let's not be hypocrites and whine about missed calls. The teams that skate the hardest and play the right way get the calls, almost always. We didn't get the calls last night because the Blues were standing still, as if stuck in mud for the last forty.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 am I hate seeing a Blues player hit like that, but it was a solid hit. Blues just have to give back, while staying disciplined. And yeah, let's not be hypocrites and whine about missed calls. The teams that skate the hardest and play the right way get the calls, almost always. We didn't get the calls last night because the Blues were standing still, as if stuck in mud for the last forty.
That's about the size of it. This is about the same as the hand pass. Move on and be ready to play the right way Wednesday.

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 am I hate seeing a Blues player hit like that, but it was a solid hit. Blues just have to give back, while staying disciplined. And yeah, let's not be hypocrites and whine about missed calls. The teams that skate the hardest and play the right way get the calls, almost always. We didn't get the calls last night because the Blues were standing still, as if stuck in mud for the last forty.
It sure looks like charging from this angle.

Two things stand out to me, they stopped skating in the second, kept trying for the homerun ie. Goal line pass to red line and beyond. Boston picked off so many passes and turned them into scoring chances, if the pass isn't there, um, skate you dumb fucks. They got owned and thank God they did, the embarrassment of that total domination might just light a spark. Rask can be beat, just shoot it where he ain't.