Re: GDT WCF Game 2: Blues @ Sharks, 8p, NBCSN/KMOX

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:45 am Next on Blues News Forum, Beatoni has been banned for suggesting Allen take over the net. Although he says it was a joke, blasphemy like this is not tolerated by the all powerful T.C.

Stay tuned for member reactions, including an exclusive interview with the exciled Beatoni!
There’s no way I’d be banned from here! Barnburner and NHLTim would be up in arms if they didn’t have counter arguments to their Petro hate!!! :) (or Marchand love in Tim’s case, but that won’t rear its head unless it’s a Blues / Bruins final lol )

insideout wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 am
Beatoni12 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:38 am
NHLTIM wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 am

I agree with you here. No reason for Petro to take a penalty. You have to rely on Binnington to make that save and he’s given us no reason to think he wouldn’t make it.
I’m a long way from criticizing Binner but I actually thought he played that breakaway poorly. With petro on Couture’s forehand side, Binner still slid towards that side for some reason.

Maybe it’s time for Allan ? (Not a serious question, so settle down!!)
The great thing is that he didn't crumble. I thought he looked a little shaky on both goals, but he got his shit together and had a solid game after that. Jones is going to give up goals, so there's no reason to panic. In past years, if a 2-goal lead were to evaporate that quickly, this team would have been done.
This team is not making me nervous, sure I cursed the goals to tie the game up, but this year has just been fun since 2019.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:55 pm
Beatoni12 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:38 am

I’m a long way from criticizing Binner but I actually thought he played that breakaway poorly. With petro on Couture’s forehand side, Binner still slid towards that side for some reason.

Maybe it’s time for Allan ? (Not a serious question, so settle down!!)
The great thing is that he didn't crumble. I thought he looked a little shaky on both goals, but he got his shit together and had a solid game after that. Jones is going to give up goals, so there's no reason to panic. In past years, if a 2-goal lead were to evaporate that quickly, this team would have been done.
This team is not making me nervous, sure I cursed the goals to tie the game up, but this year has just been fun since 2019.
If you take the penalty Couture doesn't score...and you have a chance to either kill off a penalty or high percentage save on penalty shot. I did not invent taking a penalty to stop a goal...it's been done.

Just to poke the bear one more time, do goals count as fancy advanced stats? Because Petro has 42 of them the last three seasons which is right up near the tops among defensemen in the league over that time frame. More than Subban, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, S. Jones, Doughty, Karlsson, Dumba, Carlson, Letang. Unless I'm mistaken only Burns and Hedman have more in that time frame. Just sayin... :D

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:08 pm

If you take the penalty Couture doesn't score...and you have a chance to either kill off a penalty or high percentage save on penalty shot. I did not invent taking a penalty to stop a goal...it's been done.
So if you had a breakaway, you’d choose to have someone chase you and be right on your tail meaning you can only make a move to one side as opposed to not having anyone chase you?

I’ve had lots of breakaways and lots of penalty shots, and don’t think any player would ever choose to have someone right on their tail.

Beatoni12 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 pm

So if you had a breakaway, you’d choose to have someone chase you and be right on your tail meaning you can only make a move to one side as opposed to not having anyone chase you?

I’ve had lots of breakaways and lots of penalty shots, and don’t think any player would ever choose to have someone right on their tail.
I'm confused. Earlier in this thread you used the phrase "pressured very very closely" to describe the situation. Don't you need some separation for a penalty shot call? Seems like if Petro's two choices are closely pressuring the puck carrier or taking him down, then he's probably close enough to the puck carrier for the call to be power play rather than penalty shot.

insideout wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm

I'm confused. Earlier in this thread you used the phrase "pressured very very closely" to describe the situation. Don't you need some separation for a penalty shot call? Seems like if Petro's two choices are closely pressuring the puck carrier or taking him down, then he's probably close enough to the puck carrier for the call to be power play rather than penalty shot.
No separation is needed for a penalty shot, just a clear lane to the net and full control of the puck. Petro hooks, slashes or trips Couture there and it’s 100% a penalty shot.

Beatoni12 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 pm
insideout wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm

No separation is needed for a penalty shot, just a clear lane to the net and full control of the puck. Petro hooks, slashes or trips Couture there and it’s 100% a penalty shot.
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

These are NHL officials we’re talking about here. Nothing is 100% what it should be.

MattyIce wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 am
barnburner wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 am
BlueinNy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:49 am I'm trying to remember an ENG, I can't, so frustrating to be offered the opportunity and miss the net.
Hell of a thing when we have to start practicing on how to score in an empty net.
Maybe we should hire Hitch to be the assistant coach in charge of Empty Net Goals.
And then we should hire Yeo to be the Assistant Coach in Charge of Empty Net Goals In Waiting.
Who doesn't miss watching Hitch saying "fuck me"

Harri McBain wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:41 pm Most of you sound like the Blues are the better team, but had just a bad game 1. I don‘t see it this way. IMO the Sharks are the clearly better team right now and win this series easily in 4 or 5 games.
But I hope you are right and I’m going to have some FTP work to do the next 10 days. 4 FTPs would be great ;)
I'm happy I was sooo wrong with that first feeling for the series after game one :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: