NHL Lockdown TV Binge Watching List

Well, if anyone is looking for some good binge worthy shows (with conspiracies, cover ups, and more!), here are some of my most recent favorites, with the first one on the list ironically relevant:

1. 12 Monkeys (my favorite recent syfy show...the series, although the movie is a classic too): https://www.syfy.com/12monkeys (PS: With all these suggested shows, I strongly suggest having an open mind and working through the first 3-4 episodes...takes a few episodes to get into the characters and story)

2. The Expanse (fantastic show, I'm in season 3 now):

3. Orphan Black: (another great show with lots of surprises and amazing acting): http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/orphan-black

4. Nikita (some familiar actors from 12 Monkeys on here, great action show with lots of great acting...and some fun fight scenes!): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1592154/

5. The Rockford Files (and oldy but goody..and James Garner is a legend in this show, and his views on civil rights, libertarianism, business and government cover-ups are amazing still relevant. Many great special guest stars and the show was one of the few in the 1970's that had women and minorities either on the production, writing, or guest starring roles): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071042/

6. Any Star Trek series...although I haven't got into Discovery or Picard yet. Finally finished Voyager recently.

There's more I could add, but those are my favorites right now. Enjoy, add to the list your favorite binge watching shows, and stay safe and healthy everyone.

Peace and love my fellow Blues fans!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Re: NHL Lockdown TV Binge Watching List

i'll play:
  • Twin Peaks - this will always be on the binge-worthy list, especially if you've never seen it. you have over 50 hours of it to consume.
  • You - i was on the fence with this one, but finally watched it and loved it. two seasons so far.
  • Medical Police - very appropriate comedy. it's essentially Children's Hospital, if you watched that. same folks. Zucker brothers meets MacGruber
  • Ozark - if you somehow haven't seen this yet, it's very worthy of your time. still time to consume what's out there before the new season drops
  • Better Call Saul - if you haven't been watching, now's as good a time as any to watch. it's great
  • The Handmaid's Tale - see above
  • Barry - see above
  • Billions - great drama set in the financial world with fantastic Shakespearean dialog and great actors. lots of people have slept on this. don't be like them
  • Corporate - fantastic comedy central show. hit way too close to home quite a bit. very underrated
  • Goliath - i was on the fence on this one too, but someone convinced me to watch it. glad i did. it's really good
  • Letterkenny - how have you not seen this yet?
  • Mindhunter - great show. some dips but stick with it
  • On Becoming A God In Central Florida - loved this. underrated
  • Peaky Blinders - if you avoided this one because you thought the name was fucking dumb (like me), you have made a grave error. this is must-watch. fucking love it
  • Ash vs. Evil Dead - a fantastic continuation of the Evil Dead franchise, canceled way too soon, leaving us with a cliffhanger that will never be resolved
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - this rather quirky sci-fi show won't be for everyone, but i really loved it. sad it ended
  • Legion - this is an A+ show. i was bummed when i knew S3 was the last, but really, it wrapped up perfectly. it was time. again, not for everyone, but this is a show i absolutely loved. fantastic exploration of mental illness/sci-fi/mutants, very true to the comics.
  • Jean Claude Van Johnson - a self-aware comedy where JCVD essentially plays himself. so fucking funny, if you were a fan of his. can't believe it got canceled after one season
  • Lodge 49 - another show canceled way too soon. there is still hope another network picks it up for some closure. this is such a great, quirky show. no way to really describe it, just try it
  • Santa Clarita Diet - holy fuck was this show hilariously fantastic. so bummed it got canceled. but what's out there is must-see
  • Sneaky Pete - avoided this for a bit due to goofy name, but it's really good
  • Watchmen - perfect.
there's a bunch for you.

Of whats been listed so far, I will second:
1. The Expanse (ScyFy now Amazon). My favorite show on TV right now, that no one knows about. Just great sci fi TV.
2. Mindhunter (Netflix). Really good, smart show.
3. Watchmen (HBO). Regina King is a freaking badass and Jeremy Irons is hilariously amazing and unsettling. Its great.

Show's that haven't been mentioned that I've enjoyed recently:
1. The Outsider (HBO). Awesome adaptation of a recent Stephen King novel. Ben Mendelsohn (Rogue One, Ready Player One, Captain Marvel) is great here.
2. Westworld (HBO). Season 3 starts Sunday. Season 1 is phenomenal. Season 2 was just okay, and I'm hoping season 3 is more like 1.
3. The Leftovers (HBO). My favorite TV show ever (that again no one has watched). 3 seasons of gut wrenching, emotional TV with phenomenal performances, particularly Carrie Coon. 2% of the world vanishes in a rapture like event, and the show chronicles how those "leftover" deal with it. Best ending to a TV show I've ever watched.
4. The Wire (HBO). You haven't seen The Wire? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.
5. Breaking Bad (AMC, now streaming on Netflix). Its on Netflix, and its awesome (obviously). Might as well watch it again.
6. The Americans (FX, now streaming on Amazon). Just started but apparently awesome.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:25 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:09 pm
6. Any Star Trek series...although I haven't got into Discovery or Picard yet. Finally finished Voyager recently.

DIscovery is good...but troublesome with some of the bad choices...I still really liked it.

Picard...fucking A...love it.

Don't forget the Mandolorian...it was pure fan service.
Yes, loved the Mandolorian (IIRC, the main actor is from the first Narcos series, another great show!), although was disappointed no second season or 'real conclusion'. Hoping for more!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:03 am

DIscovery is good...but troublesome with some of the bad choices...I still really liked it.

Yes, loved the Mandolorian (IIRC, the main actor is from the first Narcos series, another great show!), although was disappointed no second season or 'real conclusion'. Hoping for more!
Watching Fitzcarraldo now and I already want to murder Klaus Kinski...which I guess makes him an effective actor.

Took your advice Capn...wow, it is beautiful. Watched first two episodes over the weekend. Looking forward to more watching! Patrick Stewart is amazing.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Took your advice Capn...wow, it is beautiful. Watched first two episodes over the weekend. Looking forward to more watching! Patrick Stewart is amazing.
I do wish they would return to episodic story telling at some point....the season arc is fun...but it lacks the variety and whimsy of individual episodes.

T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:59 am do not besmirch koto and poto. or tanya roberts. or john amos. that movie rules. :)

i really want to see picard but am not buying a streaming service for one or two shows. same with mandalorian.
7 day free trial with CBS all access; just cancel after binge watching the first 8 episodes out....I did the same with Mandolorian, paid for one month then cancelled subscription. I'll probably renew once the newest Star Wars movie comes out as still haven't seen it yet.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 am
T.C. wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:59 am do not besmirch koto and poto. or tanya roberts. or john amos. that movie rules. :)

i really want to see picard but am not buying a streaming service for one or two shows. same with mandalorian.
7 day free trial with CBS all access; just cancel after binge watching the first 8 episodes out....I did the same with Mandolorian, paid for one month then cancelled subscription. I'll probably renew once the newest Star Wars movie comes out as still haven't seen it yet.
After thinking about it for a few months...the Rise of Skywalker is more bullshit than the virus.

Only one TV/DVD player pair in the JMC Household, and Mrs. JMC is doing the binge-watching. But when the opportunity arose last evening, I began a mini-binge of my 5 disc/7 movie box set of Marx Brothers films: Started with Go West, then I'll slowly move on to At The Circus, Room Service, A Night in Casablanca, A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, and wrap up with The Big Store (if I can bear to watch that stinker). I've had this set for several years, but never got around to re-enjoying these movie classics. I need to purchase copies of The Cocoanuts & Monkey Business & Horse Feathers & Animal Crackers & Duck Soup to round out my collection, but those can wait until after the Amazon distribution system is clear of COVID. :(