Missouri sports

#1
The State of Missouri is on the verge of being the home of both the Stanley Cup champions and the Lombardi champions.

I remember Mahomes and Kelce were at a lot of the Blues playoffs games, I’m sure the Blues are rooting for them too.

Champions State, USA
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Missouri sports

#3
JMC-STL wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:29 pm
Presuming this actually happens, Chiefs fans will become as insufferable as Blues fans. The WORLD will hate Missouri.
What do you mean “will be”? They’ve been insufferable for years. They shut up for about a week after the Rams won the Super Bowl in 2000 and went back to being insufferable despite not having won anything. I don’t watch much NFL anymore, but if I end up watching the Super Bowl I will definitely be rooting for the 49ers. Fuck the Chiefs and Fuck KC.

Re: Missouri sports

#5
barnburner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 pm
I quit watching the nfl even before the Rams left. It's all about gambling and ownership getting richer. With the number of kids participating each year, and the concussion lawsuits growing, it's a dying sport.
Dying sport? It’s literally the most watched sport in the country and ratings were up again this season. I think you’re thinking of baseball.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Missouri sports

#6
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:37 pm
barnburner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 pm
I quit watching the nfl even before the Rams left. It's all about gambling and ownership getting richer. With the number of kids participating each year, and the concussion lawsuits growing, it's a dying sport.
Dying sport? It’s literally the most watched sport in the country and ratings were up again this season. I think you’re thinking of baseball.
You're both right in your own ways, football has some potential long term trouble that won't manifest itself for a decade or two, if at all. Baseball is struggling greatly with modern watchability as game length goes the exact wrong direction.

A tangent on baseball: I was a huge fan my whole life, then drifted a little since following the Cards is tougher from out of town when I wasn't going to pay for the MLB package on cable. However this sign stealing scandal has been awesome for me. I love a good scandal, particularly when it results in loads of firings. While I may be in the minority, this has had the opposite impact on my fandom than what MLB has probably feared for the average fan. MOAR SUSPENSHUNS PLEEZ!!!!!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Missouri sports

#7
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:37 pm
barnburner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 pm
I quit watching the nfl even before the Rams left. It's all about gambling and ownership getting richer. With the number of kids participating each year, and the concussion lawsuits growing, it's a dying sport.
Dying sport? It’s literally the most watched sport in the country and ratings were up again this season. I think you’re thinking of baseball.
You're both right in your own ways, football has some potential long term trouble that won't manifest itself for a decade or two, if at all. Baseball is struggling greatly with modern watchability as game length goes the exact wrong direction.

A tangent on baseball: I was a huge fan my whole life, then drifted a little since following the Cards is tougher from out of town when I wasn't going to pay for the MLB package on cable. However this sign stealing scandal has been awesome for me. I love a good scandal, particularly when it results in loads of firings. While I may be in the minority, this has had the opposite impact on my fandom than what MLB has probably feared for the average fan. MOAR SUSPENSHUNS PLEEZ!!!!!
Analytics and steroids have ruined baseball for me. I used to love the game, now I can't sit through an inning.

Re: Missouri sports

#8
barnburner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 pm
I quit watching the nfl even before the Rams left. It's all about gambling and ownership getting richer. With the number of kids participating each year, and the concussion lawsuits growing, it's a dying sport.
I think it's a dying sport too. They're lucky they came up with fantasy football to sustain a following. The quality of football has regressed, just isn't the same.

Re: Missouri sports

#9
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:37 pm
barnburner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 pm
I quit watching the nfl even before the Rams left. It's all about gambling and ownership getting richer. With the number of kids participating each year, and the concussion lawsuits growing, it's a dying sport.
Dying sport? It’s literally the most watched sport in the country and ratings were up again this season. I think you’re thinking of baseball.
You're both right in your own ways, football has some potential long term trouble that won't manifest itself for a decade or two, if at all. Baseball is struggling greatly with modern watchability as game length goes the exact wrong direction.

A tangent on baseball: I was a huge fan my whole life, then drifted a little since following the Cards is tougher from out of town when I wasn't going to pay for the MLB package on cable. However this sign stealing scandal has been awesome for me. I love a good scandal, particularly when it results in loads of firings. While I may be in the minority, this has had the opposite impact on my fandom than what MLB has probably feared for the average fan. MOAR SUSPENSHUNS PLEEZ!!!!!
I am with you there, if they make the playoffs and go far enough to watch it OTA I'm all over watching the Cards. But I'm out of the region and hate cable packages so I miss a lot.

And yes, I love the Astros being in a world of shit right now. My once smug huge Astros fan friend can barely look me in the eyes if we're talking baseball, and he definitely is not wearing any of their gear right now.

Re: Missouri sports

#10
BluesSK wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:56 am
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:10 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:37 pm


Dying sport? It’s literally the most watched sport in the country and ratings were up again this season. I think you’re thinking of baseball.
You're both right in your own ways, football has some potential long term trouble that won't manifest itself for a decade or two, if at all. Baseball is struggling greatly with modern watchability as game length goes the exact wrong direction.

A tangent on baseball: I was a huge fan my whole life, then drifted a little since following the Cards is tougher from out of town when I wasn't going to pay for the MLB package on cable. However this sign stealing scandal has been awesome for me. I love a good scandal, particularly when it results in loads of firings. While I may be in the minority, this has had the opposite impact on my fandom than what MLB has probably feared for the average fan. MOAR SUSPENSHUNS PLEEZ!!!!!
Analytics and steroids have ruined baseball for me. I used to love the game, now I can't sit through an inning.
The overabundance of walks and pitching changes in the later innings just make the games take forever. As somebody who never hit for any power, it'd be nice to see a single hit to the opposite field once in a while.

Anyway, back to the pro hockey team in Missouri, they're good and I like them very much.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Missouri sports

#12
I don’t watch the NFL like I used too...I will only watch games of teams that I have an interest in....since I no longer really have a rooting interest. College Football gets the majority of my football attention. I absolutely love the college game.
I have a love/hate relationship with baseball. I love the history and tradition of the game and deep down I do feel that compared to all the other games...baseball is the best game in regards to all the strategy there is. I get fired up for opening day every year and spend two weeks watching every game that I can....but 2 weeks after it opens, then it’s NHL playoff time and I quit watching baseball until July. By that time I no longer have interest in the season...it’s the dog days of summer and sometimes baseball can be painful to watch.
I will try and get back into MLS this season since we do have a team on the way but really don’t know how big a fan I will be of that. I know I will watch the games when it’s here but I won’t be a diehard. I did have season tickets for both AC St. Louis and STL FC though.
When it comes down to it....hockey is really the only thing that holds my interest...NHL, Juniors, NCAA....I’m heavily invested in it for sure. College football would be a distant 2nd place to my love for hockey but is over everything else for me.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: Missouri sports

#13
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 am
Considering gambling is what makes the NFL so popular and the fact that legalized gambling is SPREADING...it's a bit weird to say NFL is dying. It's only going to continue to grow as gambling does. Hating it won't change that.
No doubt that it's alive and healthy today. My point is that I think it's dying from the ground up. Every year, fewer kids are playing football, because of the concussion problem. Eventually that's going to take it's toll on the pro sport, not anytime soon, but, when you add in the bad publicity and lawsuits that are only going to balloon, the game's future as we know it, is doubtful. Jmo

Re: Missouri sports

#14
barnburner wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:41 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 am
Considering gambling is what makes the NFL so popular and the fact that legalized gambling is SPREADING...it's a bit weird to say NFL is dying. It's only going to continue to grow as gambling does. Hating it won't change that.
No doubt that it's alive and healthy today. My point is that I think it's dying from the ground up. Every year, fewer kids are playing football, because of the concussion problem. Eventually that's going to take it's toll on the pro sport, not anytime soon, but, when you add in the bad publicity and lawsuits that are only going to balloon, the game's future as we know it, is doubtful. Jmo
In logical progression of your theory ... to be followed in the next generation by ice hockey & soccer. Basketball & baseball will each will die of natural causes. Meanwhile, on-line game play will replace them all.

Re: Missouri sports

#15
barnburner wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:41 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 am
Considering gambling is what makes the NFL so popular and the fact that legalized gambling is SPREADING...it's a bit weird to say NFL is dying. It's only going to continue to grow as gambling does. Hating it won't change that.
No doubt that it's alive and healthy today. My point is that I think it's dying from the ground up. Every year, fewer kids are playing football, because of the concussion problem. Eventually that's going to take it's toll on the pro sport, not anytime soon, but, when you add in the bad publicity and lawsuits that are only going to balloon, the game's future as we know it, is doubtful. Jmo
The league is never going to be short on players in any of our lifetimes. I'm not terribly concerned about the NFL's viability in 200 years. The world will likely have much gander concerns then.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Missouri sports

#16
I like the Chiefs and since the 49ers took out my Packers I hope the Chiefs destroy those fuckers. Plus I can not stand any Bay area sports teams. Fuck the Sharks, fuck the A's, fuck the Giants, fuck the Warriors, fuck the Niners. Fuck em all!

Re: Missouri sports

#17
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:29 pm
barnburner wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:41 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 am
Considering gambling is what makes the NFL so popular and the fact that legalized gambling is SPREADING...it's a bit weird to say NFL is dying. It's only going to continue to grow as gambling does. Hating it won't change that.
No doubt that it's alive and healthy today. My point is that I think it's dying from the ground up. Every year, fewer kids are playing football, because of the concussion problem. Eventually that's going to take it's toll on the pro sport, not anytime soon, but, when you add in the bad publicity and lawsuits that are only going to balloon, the game's future as we know it, is doubtful. Jmo
The league is never going to be short on players in any of our lifetimes. I'm not terribly concerned about the NFL's viability in 200 years. The world will likely have much gander concerns then.

We probably hit “The Great Filter” in the next 200 years anyway and it will all be much ado about nothing then.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: Missouri sports

#19
T.C. wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:58 am
sorry, not hockey related. moved to OT. left a shadow topic in hockey in case people forget OT exists.
@T.C.: Shoulda done the same for the "RIP Neil Peart" thread while you were at it. At least hockey is a sport.

Re: Missouri sports

#22
BillP. wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:00 am
barnburner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 pm
I quit watching the nfl even before the Rams left. It's all about gambling and ownership getting richer. With the number of kids participating each year, and the concussion lawsuits growing, it's a dying sport.
I think it's a dying sport too. They're lucky they came up with fantasy football to sustain a following. The quality of football has regressed, just isn't the same.
The bolded I 100% agree with.

Once they started changing rules to accomodate Tom Brady (no hitting qb's low aka the brady rule and the tuck rule) the game was and has been changed for the worse.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!