Re: The movie thread

JMC-STL wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:...movies are America's real favorite religion.
With Turk's Discount Church a close second. And he'll even sit in the back row in a trench coat, if you ask him nicely.
No trench coat pervs in Turk's Discount Church... we're picking up a lot of business from pissed off Catholics, though... I always told those fuckers that I'd own them some day.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:...movies are America's real favorite religion.
With Turk's Discount Church a close second. And he'll even sit in the back row in a trench coat, if you ask him nicely.
No trench coat pervs in Turk's Discount Church... we're picking up a lot of business from pissed off Catholics, though... I always told those fuckers that I'd own them some day.

Where are all the movies bashing the Catholic Church for being a fucking child sex syndicate? Thanks for nothing, Hollywood Jews.

I've probably been watching Infinity War too many times, but maybe it was time for comic book movies to kill all other films so that the art form can survive. I miss the 80's when comedies ruled the screen. I don't think there have been many true comedies released since Old School.

CaptSMRT wrote:... I miss the 80's when comedies ruled the screen. I don't think there have been many true comedies released since Old School.
Jim Carrey single handedly murdered cinematic comedy. If only The Duck Factory had been renewed for Season 2, Ace Ventura (both incredibly annoying versions) & The Mask & Dumb and Dumber (One & To) would've all remained in the concept stage.

JMC-STL wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:... I miss the 80's when comedies ruled the screen. I don't think there have been many true comedies released since Old School.
Jim Carrey single handedly murdered cinematic comedy. If only The Duck Factory had been renewed for Season 2, Ace Ventura (both incredibly annoying versions) & The Mask & Dumb and Dumber (One & To) would've all remained in the concept stage.
He was really good in The Amazing Burt Wonderstone, which is a funny movie.

Turk Sanderson wrote:Speaking of pervs... I always liked Woody Allen comedies back in the day.
Turk's Discount Church should have a "#MeToo Sunday" promotion. Instead of a sermon, you could show a Roman Polanski triple-billing. Maybe he'd agree to reprise his uncredited role at "Detective Revi" in Rush Hour 3. Nothing funnier these days than a Chris Tucker-Jackie Chan reunion.

JMC-STL wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:Speaking of pervs... I always liked Woody Allen comedies back in the day.
Turk's Discount Church should have a "#MeToo Sunday" promotion. Instead of a sermon, you could show a Roman Polanski triple-billing. Maybe he'd agree to reprise his uncredited role at "Detective Revi" in Rush Hour 3. Nothing funnier these days than a Chris Tucker-Jackie Chan reunion.
I believe there is another Rush Hour on the way.

CaptSMRT wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:
I believe there is another Rush Hour on the way.
because the TV show was so good?

those tucker/chan films were magic in a bottle. you couldn't recapture the pairing or tone today. best to let them live in timeless infamy. i love them.

T.C. wrote:those tucker/chan films were magic in a bottle. you couldn't recapture the pairing or tone today. best to let them live in timeless infamy. i love them.
So what sort of bottle did you have in your hand while you were enjoying them so much?

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:06 am The Last Movie Star, starring Burt Reynolds.

I thought it was an interesting take on an aging actor...it ends up being kind of a watered down version of Lost in Translation. Considering the guy died, I would recommend watching.
Got it - that's One Thumb Up for Hollywood deaths.

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:55 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:06 am The Last Movie Star, starring Burt Reynolds.

I thought it was an interesting take on an aging actor...it ends up being kind of a watered down version of Lost in Translation. Considering the guy died, I would recommend watching.
Got it - that's One Thumb Up for Hollywood deaths.
It was a good movie.

The Predator:

Another Shane Black yap-fest. I am kind of unsure why people still think this guy has talent, his attempts at being clever end up tripping over their own feet, the story is more of a series of events with characters walking around trying to be funny while plot devices drop from the sky. I am not asking for The GODFATHER here...there were some good elements, but they were all passed over in favor of the paint by numbers narrative about some character that nobody really gives a shit about...also Asperger's syndrome gives kids the ability to translate and download alien technology. I met an Asperger's kid once...he spit on me!!! I wasn't asking for great...and all I got was okay. I thought okay was enough, but it seems like they passed on a lot of easy opportunities to show cool stuff in favor of some kind of poor man's Quentin Tarantino chatter. If you are an old grouch...pass. If you are a fan of the franchise...wait for Redbox.