R.I.P. - Red Schoendienst

Sorry for breaking BNF Obit protocol, Turk, but Red deserves his own thread ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cardinals great Red Schoendienst dies at age 95
Posted 8:06 pm, June 6, 2018, by Chris Smith

ST. LOUIS – Cardinal great Red Schoendienst passed away Wednesday at the age of 95.

The news was broken to Cardinal Nation by former Cardinals and KMOX Cardinals announcer Mike Shannon.

Schoendienst was born in Germantown Illinois, just 40 miles from downtown St. Louis. He was one of seven children. ...

He was signed by the Cardinals in 1942 after a tryout for $75 a month. ...

In 1989 he was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame and was inducted into the St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame Museum in 2014.

Schoendienst was the oldest living Baseball Hall of Famer at the time of his death. ...

Read, See & Hear more at: http://fox2now.com/2018/06/06/cardinals ... at-age-95/

Re: R.I.P. - Red Schoendienst

I'm glad I got to see him play on those great end of 1940s and early '50s Cardinals teams with Musial and Slaughter. He was one of the very best 2nd basemen.

I'm probably one of the few Blues' fans who also remembers The St. Louis Browns from that period. My first cousin from The Chicago Metro Area, was a teenaged signee with The Browns, and got as far as their AA farm team in The Southern Association, and trained with their AAA American Association team in San Antonio during the early 1950s. He was a shortstop.