Star Trek: Tarantino

I feel like this deserves a thread. Could there be a bigger cinematic mashup of styles and fandom? Tarantino seems like a pretty well versed Trek fan, citing "City on the edge of forever", and "Yesterday's Enterprise" as his favorite episodes. I am only a casual fan of Tarantino's movies...love Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Death Proof, Reservoir Dogs...to a lesser extent Inglorious Basterds. His other movies are good, but he kind of leans on certain tropes. I have been a fan of Star Trek since I was a kid watching re-runs on CH30. Can Trek be lame, and dorky? Yes. After a while you wonder why these guys are walking around in their pajamas. In the age of Netflix there are few catalogs as deep. For all of it's failings Trek always has enough optimism, and introspection to make you think.

I love it when a studio takes a risk on something unconventional, so this should be interesting to say the least, if it even gets made.

Re: Star Trek: Tarantino

T.C. wrote:most importantly, he says it will be rated R. i know it's trendy to have a "gritty reboot", but i love that Trek may get in the trenches finally.

Forget gritty...people in the future would have totally different morals than we do...and Trek is about exploring new places. I think after Deadpool brought in so much money then bean counters have realigned their spreadsheets. In the 80's R-Rated movies did the best...then the helicopter parents arrived.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
T.C. wrote:most importantly, he says it will be rated R. i know it's trendy to have a "gritty reboot", but i love that Trek may get in the trenches finally.
Make it rated X and we could have a "BNF at the Cinema Night"!
And have to hear the story about how JMC met a real Andorian back in '46?

CaptSMRT wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
Make it rated X and we could have a "BNF at the Cinema Night"!
And have to hear the story about how JMC met a real Andorian back in '46?
We didn't exactly "meet." We made contact from opposite sides of what I can only described as a shimmering curtain of marshmallow creme. :?: