The Loop Trolley

It's a shame this trolley line couldn't have been opened in time for Summer 2017 and its fair weather passenger market. It now looks like late November will be the earliest possible opening of the route, but the Loop Trolley Co. did finally formalize their fare structure today.
Standard Fares (Adults & Children over 6) = $2 for two hours and $5 for the day-long pass.
Disabled & Senior Fares (65+) = $1 for a two-hour fare and $2.50 for an all-day pass.
Fare for Children 5 and younger = Free with adult supervision.

Maybe opening several months before Summer 2018 comes along (I hope) will give the owners/operators time to work out kinks in the system & its scheduling, as well as finding reasonable ways to avoid the disaster that Metro light rail security has become. Though the Loop route is only 2.2 miles long - see route map below - I'd say it has a chance of drawing a significant number of locals & tourists for the curiosity factor, while increasing the number of visitors to The Loop as well as to Forest Park.
Loop Trolley Stops
University City Library
Leland Avenue
City Limit
The Pageant
Delmar Loop MetroLink
Hamilton Ave
Delmar and DeBaliviere
Crossroads School
Forest Park/DeBaliviere MetroLink
Missouri History Museum/Forest Park

I wish the Loop Trolley Co. the best of luck, and I look forward to my first ride on a St. Louis-area streetcar in over 50 years.

Re: The Loop Trolley

JMC-STL wrote:It's a shame this trolley line couldn't have been opened in time for Summer 2017 and its fair weather passenger market. It now looks like late November will be the earliest possible opening of the route, but the Loop Trolley Co. did finally formalize their fare structure today.
Standard Fares (Adults & Children over 6) = $2 for two hours and $5 for the day-long pass.
Disabled & Senior Fares (65+) = $1 for a two-hour fare and $2.50 for an all-day pass.
Fare for Children 5 and younger = Free with adult supervision.

Maybe opening several months before Summer 2018 comes along (I hope) will give the owners/operators time to work out kinks in the system & its scheduling, as well as finding reasonable ways to avoid the disaster that Metro light rail security has become. Though the Loop route is only 2.2 miles long - see route map below - I'd say it has a chance of drawing a significant number of locals & tourists for the curiosity factor, while increasing the number of visitors to The Loop as well as to Forest Park.
TrolleyMap-horizontal-web-e1431633791346[1].jpg
Loop Trolley Stops
University City Library
Leland Avenue
City Limit
The Pageant
Delmar Loop MetroLink
Hamilton Ave
Delmar and DeBaliviere
Crossroads School
Forest Park/DeBaliviere MetroLink
Missouri History Museum/Forest Park

I wish the Loop Trolley Co. the best of luck, and I look forward to my first ride on a St. Louis-area streetcar in over 50 years.
I hope that you're not implying that the drug hustlers are actually going to have to purchase tickets, like the rest of us common folks.That's just boll-shit.

so they finally have tracks the cars will fit on now? i don't understand how that situation isn't more discussed. a colossal waste of money. kind of like how when they built the new federal building, they had to re-do every window (or was it door?) because all the openings were wrong.

but yeah, contributing to a local sports team's venue renovation is wasting money. lol.

Just to make the Loop Trolley funding sources clear, T.C., this from their FAQ page.
Who has provided funding: The primary funding is a $25 million FTA grant. Funding also comes from other federal grants (FTA, CMAQ, STP), a TIF, New Market Tax Credits, St. Louis County Transportation Fund, Great Rivers Greenway, Washington University, Loop Trolley Transportation Development District sales taxes and donations.
So while there were & will be significant monies used from taxpayers, most of that was earmarked funding for transportation projects. The other tax dollars came from the usual suspects: TIF, "New Market" credits, sales taxes. Wash U's contribution makes sense since their staff & students should benefit directly from the route. So while there's no doubt we taxpayers have & will share in this project, the vast percentage of that money would've NEVER been dedicated to more Pepsi fountains @ Scottrade.

Also, that whole "the cars don't fit on the tracks" thing was a web hoax.

JMC-STL wrote:Also, that whole "the cars don't fit on the tracks" thing was a web hoax.
that is crazy. i go to the loop quite a bit, at least i was at the time, and saw one week there were tracks in the ground, then the next week they were ripping them up. they looked too close to the curb or something. then i saw that article and it made complete sense. wow, got me i guess. but to say they didn't rip up track is a lie. there was some kind of error, at least in parts of it.

also can't find any articles discussing the construction errors in the eagleton building but i worked down there when it was going up and heard a lot of the stories. i'm 95% positive that's true.

T.C. wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:Also, that whole "the cars don't fit on the tracks" thing was a web hoax.
that is crazy. i go to the loop quite a bit, at least i was at the time, and saw one week there were tracks in the ground, then the next week they were ripping them up. they looked too close to the curb or something. then i saw that article and it made complete sense. wow, got me i guess. but to say they didn't rip up track is a lie. there was some kind of error, at least in parts of it.

also can't find any articles discussing the construction errors in the eagleton building but i worked down there when it was going up and heard a lot of the stories. i'm 95% positive that's true.
I am not a regular visitor to The Loop, so I cannot confirm or deny your observations on Loop Trolley tracks being relocated. There were local articles published back in 2015 describing potential curb parking issues along the stretch of Delmar near The Pageant, but I couldn't find any reports of track relocation to solve the problem. What I recall from driving that route a couple of times during that period is curbs being pushed closer to the store fronts to make more space for people who couldn't parallel park to save their lives. So I reckon that mystery will remain between us; but remember that the Trolley project has taken several years to get to this point, so our separate senses of what happened & when may be skewed.

On the Federal Bldg problems, all I recall is that they had a massive pipe leak during construction that caused a major delay in completion. But even if the windows/doors thing was a thing, I'm missing your point in tying that to the Loop Trolley project. Are you afraid to patronize the line in case an emergency window won't open after your trolley crashes into a parked car near the Delmar Loop Metrolink Station? Trust me, you don't wanna get out in that area anyway. :shock:

BTW, I'm a proponent of the Delmar Loop Trolley project almost solely because I've seen such systems work very well in other cities to the benefit of both their residents & their visitors - particularly in San Francisco, San Diego, New Orleans & Kansas City. Not that our local politicians couldn't screw up anything they put their feeble minds to, but I am encouraged that they've (so far) let the Trolley Co. make their own mistakes & slowly progress toward an opening date. I'm also hopeful that the small scale of this transportation project will be a relatively cheap learning experience on which to base larger regional public transportation projects with a better chance of success than others that have come before. With the mess that has become of Metrolink (I used to be an occasional rider to/from Downtown STL, but not a chance any more), I'm still amazed that Bi-State/Metro has managed to sustain the sometimes skeletal public bus system to the apparent benefit of many STL area residents who would otherwise have no way to get to work or other necessary destinations. So there is still a glimmer of hope on this front, IMO.

the trolly is a great start. i'm not tying the federal building to the trolly, merely pointing out that taxpayer funding was used for both, both had very expensive issues, and now people are crying about updating a venue that brings revenue to the city on a regular basis.

There is one other personal reason for me to support the Loop Trolley getting up & running. My dear departed Dad took me on my one & only St. Louis streetcar ride on the very last day they were in operation (Hodiamont Line on May 21, 1966). So I'd sure like to have the pleasure of riding the new system on their first day of operation to close the loop (so to speak). And if the Delmar system opening day could be delayed until May 21st of next year, so much the better. My Dad was fascinated by numeric sequences & coincidences. Maybe he was an Irish mathematician in a previous life. :?:

JMC-STL wrote:There is one other personal reason for me to support the Loop Trolley getting up & running. My dear departed Dad took me on my one & only St. Louis streetcar ride on the very last day they were in operation (Hodiamont Line on May 21, 1966). So I'd sure like to have the pleasure of riding the new system on their first day of operation to close the loop (so to speak). And if the Delmar system opening day could be delayed until May 21st of next year, so much the better. My Dad was fascinated by numeric sequences & coincidences. Maybe he was an Irish mathematician in a previous life. :?:

Your dad was CaptSMRT in a previous life???

Turk Sanderson wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:... My Dad was fascinated by numeric sequences & coincidences. Maybe he was an Irish mathematician in a previous life. :?:

Easy mistake to make, Turk. The Cap'n was an Irish pub crawler in his previous life. And not a very good one, so God punished him by making him a talentless American comedian. God is a cruel bitch sometimes, but that's His prerogative.

JMC-STL wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:... My Dad was fascinated by numeric sequences & coincidences. Maybe he was an Irish mathematician in a previous life. :?:

Easy mistake to make, Turk. The Cap'n was an Irish pub crawler in his previous life. And not a very good one, so God punished him by making him a talentless American comedian. God is a cruel bitch sometimes, but that's His prerogative.

True...but the Capt'n gets paid for his performances (except when he barbecues at a certain saloon)....and as previously noted, he has his groupies...

Turk Sanderson wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: [/b]

True...but the Capt'n gets paid for his performances (except when he barbecues at a certain saloon)....and as previously noted, he has his groupies...
csg.jpg
Hot stuff!!!

Last time I went to the delmar loop it was filled with a bunch of dudes wearing rust colored skinny jeans sporting douchebeards. I have no desire to go back....EVER!
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:Last time I went to the delmar loop it was filled with a bunch of dudes wearing rust colored skinny jeans sporting douchebeards. I have no desire to go back....EVER!
Was it the color of the jeans or the size that mad you more angry?

CaptSMRT wrote:
NHLTIM wrote:Last time I went to the delmar loop it was filled with a bunch of dudes wearing rust colored skinny jeans sporting douchebeards. I have no desire to go back....EVER!
It was probably the awful food from the Hipster place that everybody was saying was the best thing ever....fucking Seoul Taco. It was downright awful.
I'll stick with Moe's out in St. Chuck from now on!
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Turk Sanderson wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:I saw the trolley running today, put your potato sack on, and tie an onion to your belt, JMC.
Already on, already tied.
Drug hustlers getting free rides like on the Metro?

On their way to pick up another free welfare check, so they can buy drugs.

JMC-STL wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:Drug hustlers getting free rides like on the Metro?
On their way to pick up another free welfare check, so they can buy drugs.
Welfare ain't free. You got stand in line once a month.
You mean that there's no direct deposit option? That's just bullshit!

NHLTIM wrote:
CaptSMRT wrote:
It was probably the awful food from the Hipster place that everybody was saying was the best thing ever....fucking Seoul Taco. It was downright awful.
I'll stick with Moe's out in St. Chuck from now on!
No one has ever said Seoul Taco was the best thing ever. You St Chuck people crack me up.
Just a Russian propaganda account