Re: R.I.P. Hugh Hefner

It's shocking that his death didn't garner nearly as much publicity as I thought it would considering the massive impact he had on American culture & lifestyle.

His peak net worth was $500 million but had "dwindled" to $43 million due to the internet giving everyone 24/7 access to adult entertainment.

FederkoSutterHunter wrote:It's shocking that his death didn't garner nearly as much publicity as I thought it would considering the massive impact he had on American culture & lifestyle. ...
I'm not sure how much more "publicity" you were expecting. Hefner's passing was reported by every mainstream national media outlet at or near the top of the hour or the top of the page, and I continue to see follow-up stories on TV & on-line about his influences on & contributions to open discussions about sexuality of all kinds and civil rights and individual empowerment. And, yes, there have been stories about his objectification of women. But the story line has to compete against a LOT of others, many of which involve immediate life or death. So I reckon it's gotten more air or e-time than I might've expected.

JMC-STL wrote:
FederkoSutterHunter wrote:It's shocking that his death didn't garner nearly as much publicity as I thought it would considering the massive impact he had on American culture & lifestyle. ...
I'm not sure how much more "publicity" you were expecting. Hefner's passing was reported by every mainstream national media outlet at or near the top of the hour or the top of the page, and I continue to see follow-up stories on TV & on-line about his influences on & contributions to open discussions about sexuality of all kinds and civil rights and individual empowerment. And, yes, there have been stories about his objectification of women. But the story line has to compete against a LOT of others, many of which involve immediate life or death. So I reckon it's gotten more air or e-time than I might've expected.
CNN, MSNBC, & Fox News were all still talking about the Puerto Rico obsession when Hefner's death was already announced on the internet. You KNOW in the 70s, 80s & 90s they would've probably interrupted regular programming on many networks to announce his death.

The fact that Playboy has lost TONS of sales, fired many staff, & gone from being worth close to a BILLION to tens of millions is what I mean.