Re: Cutting The Cable

Unless you do one of them fake IP address things which make it look like you live outside the STL area, yes, you will be blacked out. But it is great. I live in the TB market, and watched or could have watched every game last season. Unless you get like hockeystreams, a 'fake IP' (or whatever it is called) you will be limited to pretty much NBC games.

I don't know for sure, but you may be able to watch blacked out Blues games 24 hours later.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

yeah, it's fucking retarded. you pay for a premium service that you can have on your mobile device too (so maybe alternate angles while you are watching on TV?), but can't view the fucking thing if you are anywhere in the midwest (that gets FSMW). i was in indy, omaha, chicago, KC over the season last year and nope, no fucking game (after they updated in february to force it to use location). fuck the NHL app.

this is one of the main reasons i still have TV.

barnburner wrote:I'm finally going to cut the cable on my satellite service.
Big question now, is my Blues games.
Any ideas? Does the nhl streaming service black out the home games? Is it any good?
Any other ideas?
Appreciate any input.
Just curious, but is it a budget thing, or are you tired of the commercials on pay tv? I've got dish, and it pisses off to be sitting in my living room watching a dish network commercial...I'm paying them to show me a commercial for something that I already have. :evil: Of all those so-called channels, we only really use maybe eight or nine of them...the rest are just shit.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Any ideas? Does the nhl streaming service black out the home games? Is it any good?
Any other ideas?
Appreciate any input.
Just curious, but is it a budget thing, or are you tired of the commercials on pay tv? I've got dish, and it pisses off to be sitting in my living room watching a dish network commercial...I'm paying them to show me a commercial for something that I already have. :evil: Of all those so-called channels, we only really use maybe eight or nine of them...the rest are just shit.
My condolences on having Dish. I've had three providers, and DISH was far, far, far, far, away the worst. You cannot get an honest answer out of those people.
Anyway, back to your question.
I hate commercials, especially during election season. But, I recorded most of my programming just so I could zap thru the commercials. My big complaint was the constantly rising prices for a service that I probably only watched about 5% of.
I've already ordered a HD antenna, and subscribed to Netflix and Hulu Plus. As soon as I get the antenna hooked up, I'll call my provider and tell them to cancel my service. Now all I have to do, is figure out how to get Blues programming at a reasonable rate.

bradleygt89 wrote:Unless you do one of them fake IP address things which make it look like you live outside the STL area, yes, you will be blacked out. But it is great. I live in the TB market, and watched or could have watched every game last season. Unless you get like hockeystreams, a 'fake IP' (or whatever it is called) you will be limited to pretty much NBC games.

I don't know for sure, but you may be able to watch blacked out Blues games 24 hours later.
Thanks Brad. I've heard some conversation about fake i.p., etc but still need to learn more.
Wondering, with the nhl app, would Blues road games be blacked out here?

barnburner wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
Any other ideas?
Appreciate any input.
My condolences on having Dish. I've had three providers, and DISH was far, far, far, far, away the worst. You cannot get an honest answer out of those people.
I hate commercials, especially during election season. But, I recorded most of my programming just so I could zap thru the commercials. My big complaint was the constantly rising prices for a service that I probably only watched about 5% of.
I've already ordered a HD antenna, and subscribed to Netflix and Hulu Plus. As soon as I get the antenna hooked up, I'll call my provider and tell them to cancel my service. Now all I have to do, is figure out how to get Blues programming at a reasonable rate.
I can't really bitch about Dish's service...miles better than Charter. But other than watching the Blues, once in a while I watch Salvage Dogs or Barnwood Builders. I don't even watch the Cardinals at home anymore. My wife watches some reality shows and soaps. It really isn't what you would call "money well spent"

Turk Sanderson wrote:
barnburner wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: Just curious, but is it a budget thing, or are you tired of the commercials on pay tv? I've got dish, and it pisses off to be sitting in my living room watching a dish network commercial...I'm paying them to show me a commercial for something that I already have. :evil: Of all those so-called channels, we only really use maybe eight or nine of them...the rest are just shit.
I can't really bitch about Dish's service...miles better than Charter. But other than watching the Blues, once in a while I watch Salvage Dogs or Barnwood Builders. I don't even watch the Cardinals at home anymore. My wife watches some reality shows and soaps. It really isn't what you would call "money well spent"
My provider is our local telephone company, and their service has consistently been excellent. If my bill was $50 a month cheaper, I would have few complaints. I came within seconds of switching back to Direct Tv, who I had for 10 years before switching to Dish, when I caught them trying to sneak in a charge that I had specifically told them I wouldn't accept. I think they all know that their time is coming to an end, and they are desperate to get every penny they can before the curtain comes down. Streaming is the future of television. In time it will become just as expensive and cut throat as cable and satellite, but until it does, I'm going to take advantage of it.

barnburner wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
barnburner wrote:
My provider is our local telephone company, and their service has consistently been excellent. If my bill was $50 a month cheaper, I would have few complaints. I came within seconds of switching back to Direct Tv, who I had for 10 years before switching to Dish, when I caught them trying to sneak in a charge that I had specifically told them I wouldn't accept. I think they all know that their time is coming to an end, and they are desperate to get every penny they can before the curtain comes down. Streaming is the future of television. In time it will become just as expensive and cut throat as cable and satellite, but until it does, I'm going to take advantage of it.
I thought that they put the kaibosh on that streaming thing last fall??? You might check with NHLTIM.

Turk Sanderson wrote:... But other than watching the Blues, once in a while I watch Salvage Dogs or Barnwood Builders. I don't even watch the Cardinals at home anymore. My wife watches some reality shows and soaps. It really isn't what you would call "money well spent"
Don't sell your investment short, Turk. For all you know, your wife's regular viewing of "Dating Naked" may be all that stands between you & divorce papers.

JMC-STL wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:... But other than watching the Blues, once in a while I watch Salvage Dogs or Barnwood Builders. I don't even watch the Cardinals at home anymore. My wife watches some reality shows and soaps. It really isn't what you would call "money well spent"
Don't sell your investment short, Turk. For all you know, your wife's regular viewing of "Dating Naked" may be all that stands between you & divorce papers.
...at my age, you're probably right. :lol:

I checked SLING's website. You have to take their basic package which includes TNT, A&E, and some other channels, for $20 a month. Then you can add a sports package that includes FSMW for $5 a month more. So for $25 a month, I can have Blues Hockey, without having to pay Cable or Satellite. No contract, quit anytime.
Probably what I'm going to go with when the season rolls around.

NETFLIX $10
HULU PLUS $8
SLING $25
TOTAL $43

When hockey season's over - I'm back down to $18 month.
(Attack Lemmings - Thanks for the tip.)

barnburner wrote:I checked SLING's website. You have to take their basic package which includes TNT, A&E, and some other channels, for $20 a month. Then you can add a sports package that includes FSMW for $5 a month more. So for $25 a month, I can have Blues Hockey, without having to pay Cable or Satellite. No contract, quit anytime.

NETFLIX $10
HULU PLUS $8
SLING $25
TOTAL $43

No worries... Glad it was fruitful for you!!
Sounds like I need to do that very soon... $45 is a lot better than what I pay now!!
Only downer for me is that there is no built in DVR service(That I am aware of) I would probably have to build a box to handle that.(I am sure someone on the interwebs has already spec'd it out)
I do record the Blues games and watch later when I have other things happening at gametime.(Bonus is that I can skip commercials and get through a game in about an hour and a half.)

AttackLemmings wrote:
barnburner wrote:I checked SLING's website. You have to take their basic package which includes TNT, A&E, and some other channels, for $20 a month. Then you can add a sports package that includes FSMW for $5 a month more. So for $25 a month, I can have Blues Hockey, without having to pay Cable or Satellite. No contract, quit anytime.

NETFLIX $10
HULU PLUS $8
SLING $25
TOTAL $43

No worries... Glad it was fruitful for you!!
Sounds like I need to do that very soon... $45 is a lot better than what I pay now!!
Only downer for me is that there is no built in DVR service(That I am aware of) I would probably have to build a box to handle that.(I am sure someone on the interwebs has already spec'd it out)
I do record the Blues games and watch later when I have other things happening at gametime.(Bonus is that I can skip commercials and get through a game in about an hour and a half.)
Yeah, the dvr is the thing I will miss the most, but for the difference in cost, it's a loss I can handle.

I did a cursory look through on some reviews, is it true that you can only stream 1 at a time? So only 1 TV?
That would be a deal breaker, as I have a family that watches MANY different things...
I know RTFM!! Just thought you might know since you did the research.

AttackLemmings wrote:I did a cursory look through on some reviews, is it true that you can only stream 1 at a time? So only 1 TV?
That would be a deal breaker, as I have a family that watches MANY different things...
I know RTFM!! Just thought you might know since you did the research.
Yeah, I'd forgotten about that, but yes, that's true. Not so much a problem for me, the only time my second tv gets used is when the grandkids come up. It has it's own hd antenna, for ota programs.

Living out of market without a fake IP, I have to pay for the NHL package (not the NHL Network) but only get maybe 60 games. I have to do the 25 dollar Sling package to get the otherwise blacked out Kings AND Ducks games plus the 10 on NBCSN.

The NHL games can be time shifted at least.

barnburner wrote:
bradleygt89 wrote:Unless you do one of them fake IP address things which make it look like you live outside the STL area, yes, you will be blacked out. But it is great. I live in the TB market, and watched or could have watched every game last season. Unless you get like hockeystreams, a 'fake IP' (or whatever it is called) you will be limited to pretty much NBC games.

Thanks Brad. I've heard some conversation about fake i.p., etc but still need to learn more.
Wondering, with the nhl app, would Blues road games be blacked out here?
Google "IP Masking". It gives you lots of options and explains how it works. Keep in mind that it is against the TOS for Gamecenter and I think they can cancel you if they find out. I'm not sure how they would find out, but something to keep in mind. I've used it a couple of times but not on any regular basis as I live out of market and blackouts aren't a big issue for me..Games are also not carried if they are national broadcast on NBC or NBCSN. They used to also black out games broadcast on NHL Network, but I don't think they do that anymore

barnburner wrote:Anybody had any luck getting Blues games using a device like Fire Stick, and the Kodi download? I've seen lots of glowing reports about getting free tv and movies, but nothing definite about hockey games.
I know I'm late to the party here, but have you tried PlayStation Vue? I have found it better than Sling, you get all the basic cable stations including FSMW (no NHL network though) for $35 a month including DVR services. No contracts, all you need is Wi-Fi. I have it on my Amazon fire box. I also have Kodi with an addon called Pro Sports. You can get games for free on there, but they are not in HD most of the time. It's also recommended that you use IP masking.

stlsportster wrote:
barnburner wrote:Anybody had any luck getting Blues games using a device like Fire Stick, and the Kodi download? I've seen lots of glowing reports about getting free tv and movies, but nothing definite about hockey games.
I know I'm late to the party here, but have you tried PlayStation Vue? I have found it better than Sling, you get all the basic cable stations including FSMW (no NHL network though) for $35 a month including DVR services. No contracts, all you need is Wi-Fi. I have it on my Amazon fire box. I also have Kodi with an addon called Pro Sports. You can get games for free on there, but they are not in HD most of the time. It's also recommended that you use IP masking.
Thanks. I may give Playstation Vue a try. As soon as I get off vacation I'm starting a week trial with Sling. If it doesn't work out, (and having had Dish before, I expect the worst), then I'll try Vue.