Re: OT: HFBoards

Turk Sanderson wrote:You can't do thaaaat...at least use a famous Canadian...
Unfortunately for me, looking at a photo of Red Green is like looking in the mirror.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." I'm still working on the latter.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:They're VERY politically correct over there! The speech communists run the place! If you say a little something out of line they suspend or ban you from a particular board!

It must be run by the PC crazy wing of the Democratic party! :lol:
gfy.jpg gfy.jpg Viewed 17048 times 13.47 KiB

B97223623Z.120130912175523000GT33MC9E.11.jpg
Ha! Ha! I've been accused of being that OTHER Canadian guy! Red Green stole my act! I was around, with a white beard, wearing plaid shirts and blue jeans, and saying, "Keep your stick on the ice!" long before he was. Not only that, but he's a city slicker from Toronto. Not hardy like we Manitobans!

Robb_K wrote:
B97223623Z.120130912175523000GT33MC9E.11.jpg
Ha! Ha! I've been accused of being that OTHER Canadian guy! Red Green stole my act! I was around, with a white beard, wearing plaid shirts and blue jeans, and saying, "Keep your stick on the ice!" long before he was. Not only that, but he's a city slicker from Toronto. Not hardy like we Manitobans!
:D Did he steal your love of duct tape too?

I see. I was using "quick reply". I have now tried to use the upload tool.

But, I'm still being blocked, saying I'm not allowed to use some "BB codes (which, includes [IMG]). Maybe T.C. can unblock me, or walk me through the image uploading process. If I can't upload from my Photobucket page, the only other place I know is directly from my computer file. Help from anyone would be appreciated.
Last edited by Robb_K on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robb_K wrote:I see. I was using "quick reply". Here's how I looked in 1980, after storming The P.D. office to complain about them planning to write a story about me not being a loyal Blues fan, and they shot me in the head with a giant staple gun!
Still didn't work... unless that wasn't a staple gun that they shot you with, but a vaporizing gun, and now you're invisible.

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Robb_K wrote:I see. I was using "quick reply". Here's how I looked in 1980, after storming The P.D. office to complain about them planning to write a story about me not being a loyal Blues fan, and they shot me in the head with a giant staple gun!
Still didn't work... unless that wasn't a staple gun that they shot you with, but a vaporizing gun, and now you're invisible.
No. My authorisation to use [IMG] code is "off". I saw the upload tool, and tried to use it, but I still get the same error message that I'm not allowed to use that "BB code" (whatever that means). I'm not very good when it comes to technology. Maybe T.C. can remove the block, or walk me through how to use the upload tool.

you upload the attachment, you don't need to use [IMG]. the image is attached to the post. we will see it. this is why [IMG] is off. you want it in the content of the post and not at the bottom as an attachment, click the "place inline" button.

JMC-STL wrote:You're bein' awfully nice to the old man, T.C.. The rest of us woulda gotten the old: "Look in the fucking Support forum for the fucking answer, you fucking idiot!!!"

Images in posts, BNF and YOU
he sent me a PM saying he read that but it still wasn't working so i'm just trying to fill in some gaps for him. if he wasn't constantly active and always respectful, i'd treat him like the rest of you heathens, yes. but i've been tech support for my parents long enough to know that doesn't work with folks "of a certain generation". (hey robb, had to get one in ;))

T.C. wrote:... if he wasn't constantly active and always respectful, i'd treat him like the rest of you heathens, yes. ...
"heathens"? Wow, I haven't heard that one since my dear Mother shuffled off her mortal coil some 15 years ago. You need The Cap'n to scribble up some new material for you.

T.C. wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:You're bein' awfully nice to the old man, T.C.. The rest of us woulda gotten the old: "Look in the fucking Support forum for the fucking answer, you fucking idiot!!!"

Images in posts, BNF and YOU
he sent me a PM saying he read that but it still wasn't working so i'm just trying to fill in some gaps for him. if he wasn't constantly active and always respectful, i'd treat him like the rest of you heathens, yes. but i've been tech support for my parents long enough to know that doesn't work with folks "of a certain generation". (hey robb, had to get one in ;))
Thanks for the support, T.C. People didn't even have TV in their house when I was a kid. All this computer stuff comes pretty hard. I'm amazed that I was able to learn how to E-mail, and the difference between opening a new window and a new tab, and the like. I won't even go near using "The Cloud".

I'll try using the upload tool again, but, I'd swear that I did everything according to the instructions, and it still didn't work.

T.C. wrote:you upload the attachment, you don't need to use [IMG]. the image is attached to the post. we will see it. this is why [IMG] is off. you want it in the content of the post and not at the bottom as an attachment, click the "place inline" button.
I knew all that,and tried it, but, my original upload to Photobucket is an image file. So, that gets blocked. I get that it is blocked because you don't want photos after they're deleted leaving no photo and an advert for the service. So, I'm left with trying to upload it directly from my computer file (I couldn't see how to do that), or to upload it from a personal storage area on The Internet, NOT subject to later deletion. I will try it again.

Here goes one more try. I finally found the "attachments" button, and the assuring words "drag and drop into message". So. here is what I looked like while working in The Middle East from 1973-1988, from about 1983, when I was 38:
Attachments

Robb_K wrote:Here goes one more try. I finally found the "attachments" button, and the assuring words "drag and drop into message". So. here is what I looked like while working in The Middle East from 1973-1988, from about 1983, when I was 38:
Isn't that picture on the "do not fly" list? :lol:

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Robb_K wrote:Here goes one more try. I finally found the "attachments" button, and the assuring words "drag and drop into message". So. here is what I looked like while working in The Middle East from 1973-1988, from about 1983, when I was 38:
The staple was for stapling it onto my passport, as a visa photo. A visa was required for all "westerners" to get into several of The Arab Countries (Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Sudan, and Egypt at that time. I didn't need one for Jordan, Morocco, or Tunisia. I worked for The UN as a civil engineer and environmental assessor (water & air pollution), on water and sewer systems, airport, solid waste facilities, oil tanker terminals, industrial installations, and commercial and multi-use developments. I knew this was my best chance to see some of those countries, so, even when there was war or revolutions going on, I managed to get transit visas, claiming just to need to travel through towards a more distant final destination, but, instead stayed in those countries for the full limit (usually 3-6 days), just to see what was going on.

I was working in The Sudan on water and sewer systems for refugee camps for The Eritreans due to their revolutionary war to free themselves from Ethiopia. I went down to southern Sudan, even while they were having their war to break away from Sudan. I was working in Syria while The Muslim Brotherhood was revolting, trying to take over the government. My being arrested at The Israeli/Palestinian border was because Israeli border guards had been alerted that I had spent a weekend in Ramallah (Palestinian capital), instead of taking the tourist bus to Jerusalem to enter Israel. That was because I spent the weekend with the Palestinian project manager (at his parent's house), in our Jordanian office, where I worked. The Israeli security monitors where all Westerners go in The Palestinian Lands. They had seen me cross The Allenby Bridge From Jordan into Palestine on 10 straight Friday mornings, carrying no luggage, only a small plastic bag with a swimsuit, extra underwear and a toothbrush, and decide that I wasn't a tourist. I was merely spending all my weekends with my uncles, aunts and cousins that live in Israel, while I working in Jordan. They thought I was running messages for The PLO.

When I was stopped by the borderguards in East Berlin, they were just harassing young Western tourists. They probably had a quota (requiring them to harass a certain amount. The held at gunpoint by L.A. cops was probably something similar. The L.A. police are trained to "shoot first, and ask questions later". What we all saw on the Rodney King film was no anomaly. That kind of stuff goes on all the time. The cop didn't like my attitude because I asked him why he pulled us over when we had done nothing. I was naive. Coming from benign and friendly Canada and similar Netherlands, I didn't know that USA was a Police State. :o

Robb_K wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
The staple was for stapling it onto my passport, as a visa photo. A visa was required for all "westerners" to get into several of The Arab Countries (Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Sudan, and Egypt at that time. I didn't need one for Jordan, Morocco, or Tunisia. I worked for The UN as a civil engineer and environmental assessor (water & air pollution), on water and sewer systems, airport, solid waste facilities, oil tanker terminals, industrial installations, and commercial and multi-use developments. I knew this was my best chance to see some of those countries, so, even when there was war or revolutions going on, I managed to get transit visas, claiming just to need to travel through towards a more distant final destination, but, instead stayed in those countries for the full limit (usually 3-6 days), just to see what was going on.

I was working in The Sudan on water and sewer systems for refugee camps for The Eritreans due to their revolutionary war to free themselves from Ethiopia. I went down to southern Sudan, even while they were having their war to break away from Sudan. I was working in Syria while The Muslim Brotherhood was revolting, trying to take over the government. My being arrested at The Israeli/Palestinian border was because Israeli border guards had been alerted that I had spent a weekend in Ramallah (Palestinian capital), instead of taking the tourist bus to Jerusalem to enter Israel. That was because I spent the weekend with the Palestinian project manager (at his parent's house), in our Jordanian office, where I worked. The Israeli security monitors where all Westerners go in The Palestinian Lands. They had seen me cross The Allenby Bridge From Jordan into Palestine on 10 straight Friday mornings, carrying no luggage, only a small plastic bag with a swimsuit, extra underwear and a toothbrush, and decide that I wasn't a tourist. I was merely spending all my weekends with my uncles, aunts and cousins that live in Israel, while I working in Jordan. They thought I was running messages for The PLO.

When I was stopped by the borderguards in East Berlin, they were just harassing young Western tourists. They probably had a quota (requiring them to harass a certain amount. The held at gunpoint by L.A. cops was probably something similar. The L.A. police are trained to "shoot first, and ask questions later". What we all saw on the Rodney King film was no anomaly. That kind of stuff goes on all the time. The cop didn't like my attitude because I asked him why he pulled us over when we had done nothing. I was naive. Coming from benign and friendly Canada and similar Netherlands, I didn't know that USA was a Police State. :o
I worked in the water/wastewater biz too, but here at home. Plenty of water to clean up, here at home, for me without risking life and limb....but hey, that's what makes you the guy that this guy wishes he was. :)
mim.jpg mim.jpg Viewed 16980 times 7.46 KiB

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Robb_K wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: Isn't that picture on the "do not fly" list? :lol:

I worked in the water/wastewater biz too, but here at home. Plenty of water to clean up, here at home, for me without risking life and limb....but hey, that's what makes you the guy that this guy wishes he was. :)
mim.jpg
In The Netherlands, we don't have that choice. There aren't enough domestic jobs for all the young graduates. The senior engineers get first choice on jobs, so many of the young engineers' best (or possibly only) opportunities to gain decent experience are by taking jobs on overseas projects. After 15 years, I switched to working as a cartoonist. So, I didn't need to worry about looking for work at home. Now, I can live anywhere, and send my work as scans and digital files as e-mail attachments, and confer with my editors and point to things using Skype (video camera).

Robb_K wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:
Robb_K wrote:

mim.jpg
In The Netherlands, we don't have that choice. There aren't enough domestic jobs for all the young graduates. The senior engineers get first choice on jobs, so many of the young engineers' best (or possibly only) opportunities to gain decent experience are by taking jobs on overseas projects. After 15 years, I switched to working as a cartoonist. So, I didn't need to worry about looking for work at home. Now, I can live anywhere, and send my work as scans and digital files as e-mail attachments, and confer with my editors and point to things using Skype (video camera).
I was an operator... you know.... one of those guys that re-engineer all that stuff that you guys come up with. :lol:

Turk Sanderson wrote:
Robb_K wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: I worked in the water/wastewater biz too, but here at home. Plenty of water to clean up, here at home, for me without risking life and limb....but hey, that's what makes you the guy that this guy wishes he was. :)
mim.jpg
I was an operator... you know.... one of those guys that re-engineer all that stuff that you guys come up with. :lol:
Ha! Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol: