Favorite Movie

Movies are the second most popular religion in the world next to wasting food.

One of my favorite scenes in any movie is when John Travolta "Vincent Vega" gets shot on the toilet, what kind of an idiot doesn't take his Uzi to the shitter? He looks so surprised. When I first saw the movie I thought it was a moment of convenience for the film, however, after multiple recent viewings on IFC I noticed how surprised Bruce Willis is to find the UZI and realized it was a crowning moment in the stupidity of the character who fucked everything up in the first place.

Superman Three is the greatest comic book movie of all time and should have won , it has everything, genius homeless man, Gus Gorman, who invents artificial Kryptonite, and an AI smart enough to defeat Superman, evil Superman, Superman banging out some cheap slut, Superman creeping up Lana Lang and letting a trucker die, Superman eating dog food, evil rich people, coked up Richard Pryor skiing off a building. With the exception of some bad ass special effects, most modern comic book movies are weak piles of emo shit driven by mopey plots about how hard it is to be bad ass. Superman three struts around with its dick out daring people not to like it. The Plot about a mad billionaire trying to use computers to control the worlds commodities is incredibly insightful into the world we live in today. I think the reason why this movie got bad reviews is in 1983 movie critics were all old people who thought everything needed to be Citizen Kane, and didn't really understand the modern world.

Re: Favorite Movie

Once apon a ttime in the west. Fonda, Bronson, and Robarts. Directed by Leone. Speggetti western at its best. Writen to explain the man with no name (Easteood) series. Eastwood was busy so they replaced home with Bronson. From the opening to close the best movie ever.

On a side note a movie you probably don't remember. I just saw the other day. I watched it a lot on HBO when it came out was Citizen X.

To me its the best movie Donald Sutherland was in. It based on a true stories about a Russian serial killer who had 52 victims. Sutherland plays a dry witted officer. Its a very good thought provoking movie.

Had to find it on YouTube.

JMC-STL wrote:I'm just an occasional movie watcher, and even less occasional movie goer. But early in my adult-ishness, I got hooked on ethnic parodies. So my favorite movie is the Wayans Brothers' "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" from the late '80s.

A close second would be Cheech Marin's "Born in East L.A.." from the same time period.

Both classics...Born In East LA is a real sleeper, full of heart and funny moments and one of the best ending in film history.

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka...parody at its finest.

" My bitch better have my money/Through rain, sleet, or snow/My whore better have my money/Not half, not some, but all my cash/'Cause if she don't,/I'm gonna put my foot in her ass."

rcbcmr wrote:Once apon a ttime in the west. Fonda, Bronson, and Robarts. Directed by Leone. Speggetti western at its best. Writen to explain the man with no name (Easteood) series. Eastwood was busy so they replaced home with Bronson. From the opening to close the best movie ever.

On a side note a movie you probably don't remember. I just saw the other day. I watched it a lot on HBO when it came out was Citizen X.

To me its the best movie Donald Sutherland was in. It based on a true stories about a Russian serial killer who had 52 victims. Sutherland plays a dry witted officer. Its a very good thought provoking movie.

Had to find it on YouTube.
I will check out those movies...who doesn't love westerns or Donald Sutherland?

CaptSMRT wrote:
JMC-STL wrote:I'm just an occasional movie watcher, and even less occasional movie goer. But early in my adult-ishness, I got hooked on ethnic parodies. So my favorite movie is the Wayans Brothers' "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" from the late '80s.

A close second would be Cheech Marin's "Born in East L.A.." from the same time period.
Both classics...Born In East LA is a real sleeper, full of heart and funny moments and one of the best ending in film history.

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka...parody at its finest.

"My bitch better have my money/Through rain, sleet, or snow/My whore better have my money/Not half, not some, but all my cash/'Cause if she don't,/I'm gonna put my foot in her ass."
Recurring gags - subtle while effectively tying the story line together - endear me to certain films. In The Wayans' flick, it was: "You can either go out that window, or take the stairs." In BiELA, it was the winking & talking painting of Jesus on the cross in Rudy's house. Each was pure comedy genius.

And then there was: "How'd he go to the BAF-room with all that stuff on?!"
im-gonna-git-you-sucka-chains[1].jpg im-gonna-git-you-sucka-chains[1].jpg Viewed 23323 times 21.85 KiB

Movies! My favorite topic! Yes, yes, even more so than hockey. :D
It's hard to list one absolute favorite of mine but if I had to choose I'd go with The Exorcist. I'm a huuuuge horror fan but The Exorcist is really in a league of its own as far as I'm concerned, it transcends the genre. Just a perfectly structured and executed film.

If I went by genre here would be some other favorites:

Comedy: The Burbs, Dumb and Dumber, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, Twins, Anchorman, Fletch, Christmas Vacation, Major League

Horror: The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween 1 & 2, Hellraiser 1 & 2, Insidious, The classics; Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein, and The Mummy, The Amityville Horror, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead, Dead Snow 1 & 2, Nightbreed

Drama/War: Casblanca, Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, Apocalypse Now, Zulu, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut)

Crime/Mystery: Seven, Chinatown, The Maltese Falcon, LA Confidential, Malice, Blue Velvet, No Country for Old Men,

Action/Adventure: Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Beastmaster, Willow (seriously under-rated), Nolan Batman trilogy,
The two Burton Batman films, Guardians of the Galaxy

Just to name a few...

Willow is a great movie, a real adventure.

Drama is hard for me to get into easily, since life provides so much of its own.

I hate Scarface. I know...blah blah blah....cuts a guy up with a chainsaw...the rest of the movie is spending time with a person I don't like. I do not understand the lionization of this character. Tony Montana is an annoying, cry baby, jerk, he is the hero for sufferers of shortman syndrome.

Scent of a Woman, now there is Pacino at his finest. Frank Slade is an asshole, but he cares about people and puts his own feelings of despair aside to help someone out, that is a hero.

I am torn on the Nolan Batman movies...the first two are great movies. The DKR was a pile of shit and should have been left unmade. Screw reluctant or incapable Superheros...I didn't throw down 8 bucks to see Batman get his feels adjusted...I want to see him on the bleeding edge of destruction kicking people in the teeth and solving crimes with his GOD damn Bat Cave.

Westerns:

Chato's Land (Bronson)
All Clint Eastwood (The Outlaw Josey Wales and Pale Rider if had to pick only two)

SciFi:

All Star Wars and Star Trek movies. Love them all and the TV series. Stargate, Gravity, and looking forward to "The Martian"

Comedy: Friday; most Eddie Murphy movies (love 48 hours and Coming to America)

Thriller: No Particular one to list as a favorite.

If there was only one movie that I could see and take with me, it would be Scarface (Al Pacino). That movie changed my perspective and in many ways, my life, as I was a teanager when the movie came out. For a 'country boy' living in rural Missouri, it opened my eyes to a world I didn't know existed. While I can appreciate Capn's sentiment, I appreciated Tony Montana's struggle with wanting it all, yet at the end, making a choice between life and certain death when it came to blowing up the car with the kids in it. He was the type of a criminal I wanted to emulate in my younger reckless days. :twisted: )
"Do Only Good Everyday"

One of the best action movies of all time, Robocop. A classic skewering of the action model by Verhoven...ultra violent, funny, mean spirited, and awesome, the struggle of Man vs Machine in 90 mins. I will never forget the day when I got picked up from summer camp and my brother telling me...you have to go see Robocop. The story of a man tortured and torn from life by violence, then resurrected as our mechanism of salvation...Robocop does exist.

T.C. wrote:
Army of Darkness, Evil Dead
i am immediately suspicious of someone who lists these two but leaves out EDII, one of the greatest movies ever made. ;)
It was an egregious oversight, but I didn't want to stay up all night typing all of my favorite movies! :lol:

The Shining is one of my favorites, as well. It never gets old. The imagination always runs as wild as Jack Nicholson's appetite for destruction.

My favorite genre is probably "War Movies". To that end, I'd have to say my favorites are "When Trumpets Fade" and "Blackhawk Down".

Aside from war flix, I'm a sucker for "Resevoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction".

UMSLBlues12 wrote:I see a lot of my favorites already listed, but two of my favorites that haven't yet been mentioned are "No Country for Old Men" and "The Departed."

To add to the horror movie list, "The Shining" is probably my favorite from that genre.

What is it about those movies that you like, favorite scene, funniest moment, thing you see that others don't?

StL Dan wrote:The Shining is one of my favorites, as well. It never gets old. The imagination always runs as wild as Jack Nicholson's appetite for destruction.

My favorite genre is probably "War Movies". To that end, I'd have to say my favorites are "When Trumpets Fade" and "Blackhawk Down".

I have watched Enemies at the Gates a few times recently. I hated it at first, and now I like it.

CaptSMRT wrote:
StL Dan wrote:The Shining is one of my favorites, as well. It never gets old. The imagination always runs as wild as Jack Nicholson's appetite for destruction.

I have watched Enemies at the Gates a few times recently. I hated it at first, and now I like it.
I enjoyed that one the first time, probably because of Ed Harris and the plot. But, I know what you mean about not necessarily liking one at first then it growing on you with successive viewings. "Thin Red Line" fell into that category for me.

CaptSMRT wrote:
UMSLBlues12 wrote:I see a lot of my favorites already listed, but two of my favorites that haven't yet been mentioned are "No Country for Old Men" and "The Departed."

To add to the horror movie list, "The Shining" is probably my favorite from that genre.

What is it about those movies that you like, favorite scene, funniest moment, thing you see that others don't?
For No Country I love the overall feel of the movie. There is no score, no background music at all until the credits hit, which would probably doom most thriller type movies-but not No Country. Its also a novel by one of my favorite authors, Cormac McCarthy.

The Departed is just a fun movie with a great plot. So many great quotes, and then you think the movie is over and has hit its resolution like 3 times before it ends.

For The Shining, the whole build up of the movie is excellent, primarily because of Nicholson. He manages making a character go into a psychotic break believable, albeit within a haunted hotel.