Your Three Keys to Victory

Pretend you're on TV and people need to know:

What are your three keys or things to watch in this series?

Here's mine

1. Devan Dubnyk - As outstanding a pick up as he's been for the Wilt, he has never been on a winning team as far back as I could research. Not in the A, not in minors, juniors, etc. There are a lot of guys more knowledgeable than me, but I think this may be his first true playoff battle. Besides, I watched him in EDM and ARI and he was atrocious.

2. Ryan Suter - If this guy is going to play 30 minutes a night, I want him to feel every minute of it. The Blues need to play him physically and finish their checks.

3. Blues D - While Hitch may have found some magic with line combos (finally), I don't feel like the D pairings are completely gelled. I was a huge supporter of the deal that brought in Gunnarsson, but I feel like he's a guy without an identity in this lineup. I really like what Bortuzzo adds but I fear he'll be on the outside looking in.

Re: Your Three Keys to Victory

i tend to agree with you. i don't think dubnyk is a "key", i think he will (and has recently) returned to "human" levels which will expose the fact that the wild overachieved.

#2 - yes, we have got to play on the edge, very physical, or we're in trouble. we need to have cracks on speed dial.

#3 - i've been thinking this for a bit. yes, we are deep on defense, but at times it hasn't looked like our guys even knew each other's names. somewhat concerning. but i'm hoping these four-five days working together prior to playoff start will help.

- Strong, fast start. Blues can't afford to sit back and let the Wild dictate the pace of the game considering how slowly StL usually begins games.

- Jake Allen needs to continue doing what earned him this start. Aggressive, solid play. Challenge shooters.

- Youngsters need to shoot the puck. Schwartz and Tarasenko need to put pucks on net.

1) Win Faceoffs - The Blues started off the season very well in FO win % but seemed to tail off at the end of the year. It is critical that they start with possession of the puck to beat the Wild.

2) Create traffic - Dubnyk is a big dude and covers a lot of net without moving. We have to create traffic in front to get some ugly goals past him.

3) Clean line changes - The Wild are fast and score quickly when allowed to enter the zone unimpeded. Blues have to make good clean line changes to limit odd-man rushes and breakaways.

Battra wrote:
StL Dan wrote:
314 Rules wrote:Don't (Take the Wolves for granted)

Stop (The shots that should be stopped)

Believin' (That you are as talented as ANY team this year and then PROVE it!)
[youtube][/youtube]
Dude, journey sucks.
If you don't like Journey, yer not American! :mrgreen:

For me, it comes down to these three:

1) Play the style that brung ya. Now is not the time to forget how to buy in.

2) Stay outta the box. Undisciplined penalties are the devil. (Just ask Nashville, with their second period parade to the box last night.)

3) Protect the puck. Less blind cross-ice passes in the defensive zone, and less semi-blind drop passes right at the offensive blue line.

1.) Blues PP vs. Wild's top ranked PK.

2.) Blues zone exits. Clearly going for transition game with Gunner in over Bort, hopefully the puckmoving vs. toughness tradeoff pays off.

3.) Allen's nerves- Hopefully he keeps the strong play going and isn't worried about a quick hook if he slips up.

Why isn't it 8:30 yet?!?!!?
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

1. Score
2. Save
3. Stomp

I think the only challenge that's bigger than this first round matchup is trying to identify a band that's even moderately popular that Battra DOESN'T automatically thinks sucks.

I got $10 that says he used to love Metallica until the black album came out, and has thought they sucked ever since. :roll:

If this was a Big Bang Theory episode, we could posit this:

The Battra equation for judging musicians/bands:

where X = input, >fame and success (FS) = <worth(W)

or

X (FS) = W / X

Now, where's my Nobel Prize?

1 - Stay out of the box.

2 - Be proactive not reactive. Worry less about matching up with them and more about playing to your own strengths.

3 - Score early and often. If you're not scoring you're losing because come hell or high water they're probably going to get two. It's just a matter of time.

Oh, sorry.

#4 - Be sure to kill them on Corsi and Fenwick. That will make the "advanced" stats guys very happy even if you lose. They'll blame the loss on outliers or regression, but they'll be pleased. As one wag wrote about this regular season, "It's too bad the Kings don't play in the CHL, the Corsi Hockey League."