Re: ‘22 playoffs thread

Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:04 pm Can we officially say the "dumbest thing Army has done recently was let Pat Maroon walk"?

Like seriously... IDK what it is about Maroon, but people around him grow testicles the size of bears and stick up for their teammates and rightfully so.

Kadri doesn't want to fight? beat the shit out of him. then you go after Makar and Mac. you make a statement. not roll over and let him score a hatty against you
This has been official for awhile. Not just the impact he had but it’s like the Blues decided to move on from him right away. He signed with TB for cheap and the Blues immediately tried to replace him with Jordan Nolan for nearly the same price which obviously didn’t work out. They then proceeded to chase his replacement again with Kyle Clifford who again didn’t work out.

They’ve spent what it would’ve cost to just bring Maroon back on failed replacements
Just a Russian propaganda account

Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:04 pm Can we officially say the "dumbest thing Army has done recently was let Pat Maroon walk"?

Like seriously... IDK what it is about Maroon, but people around him grow testicles the size of bears and stick up for their teammates and rightfully so.

Kadri doesn't want to fight? beat the shit out of him. then you go after Makar and Mac. you make a statement. not roll over and let him score a hatty against you

Yeah, this one was a real head scratcher. You win Cup with a St. Louis kid who played a huge role and became a popular figure. The cost to retain him was a cup of coffee. Army really out-thought himself on this one. The only thing I can think of is that Army felt Kostin was going to step in. That’s the only thing that makes any sense. Because going out and getting a lesser slug in Clifford a year later to fill that void says out loud —— Yes I made a mistake. Kostin wasn’t ready, still isn’t ready and the Blues lost a very important intangible.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:51 am

Yeah, this one was a real head scratcher. You win Cup with a St. Louis kid who played a huge role and became a popular figure. The cost to retain him was a cup of coffee. Army really out-thought himself on this one. The only thing I can think of is that Army felt Kostin was going to step in. That’s the only thing that makes any sense. Because going out and getting a lesser slug in Clifford a year later to fill that void says out loud —— Yes I made a mistake. Kostin wasn’t ready, still isn’t ready and the Blues lost a very important intangible.
Is it possible Maroon wanted to end his hometown run on a high note? It certainly seems logical that he would've wanted to stick around, but maybe the allure of living tax free in Tampa on a loaded team was enough to pull him away. Not saying that is what happened, but throwing it out there. Takes two sides to come to an agreement. I'm sure Maroon doesn't regret his choice.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:13 am

Is it possible Maroon wanted to end his hometown run on a high note? It certainly seems logical that he would've wanted to stick around, but maybe the allure of living tax free in Tampa on a loaded team was enough to pull him away. Not saying that is what happened, but throwing it out there. Takes two sides to come to an agreement. I'm sure Maroon doesn't regret his choice.
I doubt that was the case. The Blues never really seemed to even make him an offer.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 am

I doubt that was the case. The Blues never really seemed to even make him an offer.
I doubt it too, but don't think its unreasonable. The tweet, while seemingly genuine, doesn't really throw water on the theory.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:23 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 am

I doubt it too, but don't think its unreasonable. The tweet, while seemingly genuine, doesn't really throw water on the theory.
Either way, it's worked out amazingly for both him and Tampa and congrats to him on getting yet another extension with them a couple months ago. Wish he was still here though, the Blues are still trying to replace him. Wouldn't mind the Blues returning the favor and going after a guy like Nick Paul from them.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:33 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 amI doubt that was the case. The Blues never really seemed to even make him an offer.
Either way, it's worked out amazingly for both him and Tampa and congrats to him on getting yet another extension with them a couple months ago. Wish he was still here though, the Blues are still trying to replace him. Wouldn't mind the Blues returning the favor and going after a guy like Nick Paul from them.
Would you settle for Jake Paul?

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:43 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:33 am
Would you settle for Jake Paul?

jake-paul-boxing.jpg
I hear he could be looking for a cheap deal trying to recoup his crypto money

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:50 am Anybody see who scored the OT winner last night? That guy is going to make so much money in a few weeks. His team's fans might dread his contract in about 9 months, but that's a story for later.
The guy is just a ready made playoff hockey player. Has 34 points in his 31 playoff games for Colorado and any team would be lucky to have him. The mistake that's probably going to be made though is he's going to get such much money that he's going to be brought in to be THE guy and he's not that guy. He's a great player to have when you already have an elite #1 center. Hope he heads back to the East cause Im tired of playing him.

Dave's a mess wrote: Anybody see who scored the OT winner last night? That guy is going to make so much money in a few weeks. His team's fans might dread his contract in about 9 months, but that's a story for later.
I knew eventually someone would bring this up. So hoping this story changes script and we're talking about the Lightning 3-1 comeback.
Game 5 will be interesting. Will Colorado blow them out? Be shocking if the Lightning go out like that but it could signify the end of their run.
Or, they could defend that belt, win Game 5 and take this thing. I could see any of these happening. And oh yeah, wouldn't mind seeing someone level Kadri in Game 5 and put him back on the shelf.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:27 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:50 am Anybody see who scored the OT winner last night? That guy is going to make so much money in a few weeks. His team's fans might dread his contract in about 9 months, but that's a story for later.
The guy is just a ready made playoff hockey player. Has 34 points in his 31 playoff games for Colorado and any team would be lucky to have him. The mistake that's probably going to be made though is he's going to get such much money that he's going to be brought in to be THE guy and he's not that guy. He's a great player to have when you already have an elite #1 center. Hope he heads back to the East cause Im tired of playing him.
That's exactly right. He's very good, but he's about to get super overpaid and cast in a role he's not suited for. I'm always suspect of guys who have a career year right before hitting UFA. He had 87 points in 71 games this year after putting up 68 in 107 games over the two previous seasons in Colorado. Also I have to imagine he won't age gracefully. It's going to bad news for Flyers fans when he has 32 points in late February and still has 6 more years at $7.5M on his contract.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 pm Yeah I mean I'm not jumping back on my bashing Army wagon... he's won me over with signing bad contracts but being able to offload them... but MAN does Maroon REALLY do alot of steentangibles to his teammates!
Seems to be a lot of revisionist history going on:

If Maroon was such a cog, why did none of his other teams do squat before he got to StL?
IIRC, it wasn't so much the $$ (although that was a concern) but more we didn't want him blocking a roster spot for guys like Kyrou that would be coming up.
We don't know exactly what he was asking for from the Blues, I heard in the $1M to $1.5 range for 2 years and Army only wanted to go one at a time.
He was bashed for a big chunk of that Cup season, and people were looking to dump him.
Tampa could have signed me to play on that loaded team (and I can barely skate! lol) and they still probably would have won.

Look, I'm not trying to bash the guy, I'm forever grateful for his contributions for us ending our Cup drought, but I also don't believe he's the be-all, end-all either.

netboy65 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:10 am
Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 pm Yeah I mean I'm not jumping back on my bashing Army wagon... he's won me over with signing bad contracts but being able to offload them... but MAN does Maroon REALLY do alot of steentangibles to his teammates!

If Maroon was such a cog, why did none of his other teams do squat before he got to StL?
IIRC, it wasn't so much the $$ (although that was a concern) but more we didn't want him blocking a roster spot for guys like Kyrou that would be coming up.
We don't know exactly what he was asking for from the Blues, I heard in the $1M to $1.5 range for 2 years and Army only wanted to go one at a time.
He was bashed for a big chunk of that Cup season, and people were looking to dump him.
Tampa could have signed me to play on that loaded team (and I can barely skate! lol) and they still probably would have won.

Look, I'm not trying to bash the guy, I'm forever grateful for his contributions for us ending our Cup drought, but I also don't believe he's the be-all, end-all either.
Maroon signed a 1 year 900k deal and the Blues resigned Jordan Nolan to 1 year 700k the same off season so the savings were minimal. I think more so than Kyrou they envisioned Sammy Blais taking on the role.

netboy65 wrote:

You're missing the point. It's a team game and he was an important piece of the puzzle. A "character" type at that. It still pisses me off the dumb fucks didn't do anything when Kadri ran our goalie. Everybody circles around the guy that runs their goalie and our guys didn't do shit and acted like nothing happened. We've got to be the only team in the NHL that would of done this and it was a playoff game no less. Blows my mind. Still pisses me off. This team needs some nasty and bad.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:15 pm
netboy65 wrote:

You're missing the point. It's a team game and he was an important piece of the puzzle. A "character" type at that. It still pisses me off the dumb fucks didn't do anything when Kadri ran our goalie. Everybody circles around the guy that runs their goalie and our guys didn't do shit and acted like nothing happened. We've got to be the only team in the NHL that would of done this and it was a playoff game no less. Blows my mind. Still pisses me off. This team needs some nasty and bad.
Now that's revisionist history. The Blues spent an entire game trying to get their pound of flesh from Kadri and he made them look like fools. They took their eye off the ball (er...puck) and Kadri scored 3 and mocked the fans. In game 5 they played hockey and actually got a deserved win.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:59 pm
netboy65 wrote:

Now that's revisionist history. The Blues spent an entire game trying to get their pound of flesh from Kadri and he made them look like fools. They took their eye off the ball (er...puck) and Kadri scored 3 and mocked the fans. In game 5 they played hockey and actually got a deserved win.
If the Blues took care of business from the get go, none of that subsequent shit would of happened like the double cross checking penalties in Gm 4. It’s the Blues fault. They didn’t take a stand from the beginning and instead they let Kadri get in their heads. If they fucked him up in the beginning like they should have, then everything might of been a different. End of story, play hockey. Instead, they did nothing and it was in their heads in Game 4 and they got tooled. Blues fucked themselves.

netboy65 wrote:

The time to knock the Nazem outta Kadri was in the same game that he took out Binner... on the spot. By the next game the zebras are already on alert, and were ready screw the Blues at every turn.

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:47 pm IMHO, losing Edmundson ended up hurting more than losing Maroon, but no one could have foreseen Bouwmeester going down mid-season with a career-ending heart condition. That messed up our defense in a way that we still haven't completely fixed.
Very true..Jed made his share of screw ups, but good grief… look at 55 these days.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:53 pm

If the Blues took care of business from the get go, none of that subsequent shit would of happened like the double cross checking penalties in Gm 4. It’s the Blues fault. They didn’t take a stand from the beginning and instead they let Kadri get in their heads. If they fucked him up in the beginning like they should have, then everything might of been a different. End of story, play hockey. Instead, they did nothing and it was in their heads in Game 4 and they got tooled. Blues fucked themselves.
If we were nasty first Binnington is probably still in the playoffs. 🤷‍♂️

BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:53 pm If the Blues took care of business from the get go, none of that subsequent shit would of happened like the double cross checking penalties in Gm 4. It’s the Blues fault. They didn’t take a stand from the beginning and instead they let Kadri get in their heads. If they fucked him up in the beginning like they should have, then everything might of been a different. End of story, play hockey. Instead, they did nothing and it was in their heads in Game 4 and they got tooled. Blues fucked themselves.
Totally agree. Also, massive props for being the first time i’ve ever seen someone use “would of” and “should have” in the same paragraph. You’re so close.

T.C. wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:12 am
BillP. wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:53 pm If the Blues took care of business from the get go, none of that subsequent shit would of happened like the double cross checking penalties in Gm 4. It’s the Blues fault. They didn’t take a stand from the beginning and instead they let Kadri get in their heads. If they fucked him up in the beginning like they should have, then everything might of been a different. End of story, play hockey. Instead, they did nothing and it was in their heads in Game 4 and they got tooled. Blues fucked themselves.
Totally agree. Also, massive props for being the first time i’ve ever seen someone use “would of” and “should have” in the same paragraph. You’re so close.
😃

Got it. They should've blown the game they were leading with a chance to go up 2-1 in the series instead of the next game when they were down 2-1 in the series. Probably should've just snapped Kadri's stick and stabbed him with it right after Rosen knocked him into Binnington. The Avs PP is pretty good, but the refs might not make the call since there's little precedent for on ice murder after the 04-05 lockout.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:52 am Got it. They should've blown the game they were leading with a chance to go up 2-1 in the series instead of the next game when they were down 2-1 in the series. Probably should've just snapped Kadri's stick and stabbed him with it right after Rosen knocked him into Binnington. The Avs PP is pretty good, but the refs might not make the call since there's little precedent for on ice murder after the 04-05 lockout.
RACIST!!!

/s
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!