Re: ‘22 playoffs thread

T.C. wrote: Makar has won the Hobey Baker, the Calder, the Norris, the Conn Smythe, the Stanley Cup - and isn’t even 24 years old. Holy fuck is this kid good.

I watched the third and the aftermath last night. I’ll say the same thing I said before in this thread - Tampa looked like a different class of team. Like, not even close. Looked like they had no will to win, no legs, no desire to compete, etc. They were waiting for the puck to come to them rather than going to get it. this year’s Avs has to be the most tenacious fore- and back-checking team i’ve ever seen. They are almost always first to the puck, and not just one of them - seemingly all of them at once due to their speed. So hard to believe that 5 years ago they were setting records for the worst NHL team ever. But i guess that gets you some high picks, eh? Like Makar.
Tampa had plenty of desire to compete. Maybe they didn't quite have the legs last night. It's their 3rd season in a row of playing in the Finals. That's like playing 4 seasons in 3 years when you add up the total playoff games. Plus Colorado skated like mad men last night. They didn't want a 7th game. They probably would of lost Gm 7 had they not won last night.

T.C. wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 am Makar has won the Hobey Baker, the Calder, the Norris, the Conn Smythe, the Stanley Cup - and isn’t even 24 years old. Holy fuck is this kid good.

It's amazing how that draft played out. The Avalanche went into that draft lottery with the highest odds to win the lottery after an embarrassing 48 point season, 21 points fewer than the next closest team and the right to pick between Nolan Patrick or Nico Hirschier. They were the big losers on lottery night with the Devils, Flyers, and Stars all moving ahead of them. Turns out they were the big winners of the night by falling back to take Maker, the second defensemen off the board at #4. How different things could be.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
T.C. wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 am Makar has won the Hobey Baker, the Calder, the Norris, the Conn Smythe, the Stanley Cup - and isn’t even 24 years old. Holy fuck is this kid good.

It's amazing how that draft played out. The Avalanche went into that draft lottery with the highest odds to win the lottery after an embarrassing 48 point season, 21 points fewer than the next closest team and the right to pick between Nolan Patrick or Nico Hirschier. They were the big losers on lottery night with the Devils, Flyers, and Stars all moving ahead of them. Turns out they were the big winners of the night by falling back to take Maker, the second defensemen off the board at #4. How different things could be.
Damn. As Spock would say "Fascinating"

I watched the third and the aftermath last night. I’ll say the same thing I said before in this thread - Tampa looked like a different class of team. Like, not even close. Looked like they had no will to win, no legs, no desire to compete, etc. They were waiting for the puck to come to them rather than going to get it. this year’s Avs has to be the most tenacious fore- and back-checking team i’ve ever seen. They are almost always first to the puck, and not just one of them - seemingly all of them at once due to their speed. So hard to believe that 5 years ago they were setting records for the worst NHL team ever. But i guess that gets you some high picks, eh? Like Makar.
I'd be curious to see how the series would've played out with a healthy Point and Cirelli. Losing 2 of your top 3 centers certainly stings. Having said that, there's a reason people talked about the Avs as Voltron all season. They were at worst the co-favorites all season, and looked like it from the jump. They had an extra gear that nobody, not even the 2 time defending champs, could get to. The only thing that could've undone them were injuries to MacKinnon/Makar and bad goaltending. Those guys stayed healthy and played well, and Kuemper was good enough when it mattered. They deserved the Cup.

Stan can still eat shit though.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

T.C. wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 pm i get great amusement by the fact that "scorey perry" has been on the losing end of the last 3 finals, which is a new NHL record.
Why? Did he pee in your corn flakes? Why would you get joy from someone else's failure? Unless they did something to you.

Actually you got to give Perry credit. He's been a clutch guy in money games the last 3 seasons and to make the Cup 3 years in a row with different teams is pretty incredible. It's not his fault they've lost all 3 - ha. And the one in Montreal was a joke anyway. They'd of never made it to the finals if they had to go thru the East. That was the Covid playoff which was garbage. So really, Perry was lucky to have 3 in a row. Really wouldn't of happened under normal circumstances.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:27 am
T.C. wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:32 pm i get great amusement by the fact that "scorey perry" has been on the losing end of the last 3 finals, which is a new NHL record.
Why? Did he pee in your corn flakes? Why would you get joy from someone else's failure? Unless they did something to you.
Now who's trying to be a Grinch? Stop trying to steal T.C.'s joy at someone else's expense... Marchand never did anything to me personally, but it's always fun watching him shed some tears.

Why? Did he pee in your corn flakes? Why would you get joy from someone else's failure?Unless they did something to you.
I doubt TC is a corn flakes kind of guy.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:20 am
Why? Did he pee in your corn flakes? Why would you get joy from someone else's failure?Unless they did something to you.
I doubt TC is a corn flakes kind of guy.
Untainted Corn Flakes are good as fuck!!!

Marian Hossa was almost the first:
in 2008 with Pittsburgh, he lost to Detroit
In 2009 with Detroit, he lost to Pittsburgh
In 2010 he finally won with Chicago