Re: ‘22 playoffs thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:32 pm now 9-6. Hatty for Tkachuk. Still a couple more minutes for more goals or for Kane and Lucic to fight
Eventually I stopped missing goals by changing the channel. The larger issue was staying awake. I'll conserve energy better today so I don't have this issue for the Blues game.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:31 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:41 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 pm Imagine no more a fanbase getting this excited about a fourth line plug coming off the IR.

The comments. 🤦‍♂️
The Blais worship out of NYR fans is just bizarre. I liked him when he was here and everything, but for a guy that can't stay healthy and has never scored 10 goals in a season, I just don't get it. He has 0 goals and 4 assists with the Rangers in 14 games. Many NYR fans are happy they have him instead of Buchnevich's 76 points in 73 games. It's just wild to see.
Talking with a Rangers fan is like;

So Krieder is having a great year!
Rangers Fan: yeah it's ok

How about Adam Fox? Norris trophy!
Rangers Fan: yeah not bad.

What about that Shesterkin guy? Incredible season!
Rangers Fan: yep, pretty decent.

So I hear Sammy Blais is coming back from his injury?
Rangers Fan: OMG! 😱 Sammy is back!!! Woohoo! Can't wait!
Those fans lost touch with reality after Tom Wilson just beat the crap out of them last season. They still have a good team as long as they have the best goalie in the world though.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:50 am The Tkachuk boys were absolutely killing it last night:

Matthew's hat trick is honestly just a footnote to an incredible performance from the family last night.
When Brady ends up in St Louis and after his career is over I want his statue out front to have two cold ones in the back pocket.

I also love that they just sit in the stands with the fans. Did the same with their boy Robert Thomas during the Blues run.

Matt is Pat Maroon with all world skill.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Florida had the 5th best PP in the regular season, but still don't have a PP goal in the playoffs, and it's absolutely killing them against Tampa. Very reminiscent of what happened to the Blues the last couple of years when they didn't do anything on the PP in the playoffs until their series were already pretty much over if memory serves me correct.

I recall hearing that a big difference in the playoffs vs. regular season is that the special teams meetings and especially PKs are much much more detailed. Coaches have more time to dig into a specific team's PP structure rather than just giving a cliff notes version before moving onto another team the next game. Makes the Blues special teams all that much more impressive this playoff year.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:18 am Florida had the 5th best PP in the regular season, but still don't have a PP goal in the playoffs, and it's absolutely killing them against Tampa. Very reminiscent of what happened to the Blues the last couple of years when they didn't do anything on the PP in the playoffs until their series were already pretty much over if memory serves me correct.

I recall hearing that a big difference in the playoffs vs. regular season is that the special teams meetings and especially PKs are much much more detailed. Coaches have more time to dig into a specific team's PP structure rather than just giving a cliff notes version before moving onto another team the next game. Makes the Blues special teams all that much more impressive this playoff year.
It's a common saying that the refs 'swallow their whistles' during the playoffs (Although I haven't seen any data to support that universally, it seems to be true), so there would be less special-teams play. That can lead to two philosophies: with less PP/PK time, you should focus on 5-on-5 play OR if you DO get a special teams opportunity, you really want to make sure to take full advantage of it.

IMHO, in the playoffs EVERYTHING counts, so you can't leave any opportunity on the table.

With Binnington out for the rest of this series, and Lindgren called up, The Blues have a big problem. The main reason why The Blues were competitive with The Avs in Game 2 and the first 6.5 minutes of Game 3 was Binner's getting to The Avs' dump-ins quickly, and getting an outlet pass to one of his forwards or a defenceman fairly far up ice, so they avoided severe pressure by The Avs' forecheck, and, in addition, could start the rush (sometimes gaining a odd-man advantage as a bonus), and setting up good scoring chances and an extended time in the offensive zone. That was a key to The Blues being able to develop some offence, at all, rather than ending up tiring out in their own end, trying to fend off The Avs' relentless forecheck, and eventually giving up the puck, tiring out more racing around trying to follow the puck and defend, and eventually giving up a goal, or having to take a penalty, or tiring out more after several icing calls, and having our defenders having to stay out on the ice for ridiculously long shifts while playing continuously refreshed Avs fivesomes. Binngton's ability to be The Blues' 3rd defenceman by playing the puck and The Blues avoiding Colorado's smothering forecheck is really the key to The Blues' only chance to produce enough offence, and to avoid being exhausted for the entire 2nd and 3rd periods, after playing in their own Zone the whole 1st Period. Even when Husso is in his absolute top regular season mode, The Blues will need him to retrieve The Avs' dump-ins and get the puck up ice to his open teammates, to have a decent chance in the remainder of this series. The problem is that Husso is not a great passer, and is not as poised and calm as he'd need to be under a lot of pressure. I'm not confident that Husso can play well enough for The Blues to avoid 2 more Avalanche wins, especially with The Avs getting 2 more games at home. The Blues tire easily playing desperately in their own zone a whole 1st Period in that thin air, especially having less than 48 hours in that air to adjust to it.

A ridiculous idea: The Blues play giving a superhuman effort for the relatively inexperienced Charlie Lindgren. I wonder if they could steal a game by starting him in Game 4? The only problem with that would be hurting Husso' confidence, if Berube would do that. So, I don't think there's any possibility that will be done.